Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many times does Solly March play well a season?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
What a load of tosh. The manager and coach need to sort it out, if he really fails as much as you say he does.
If he isn't performing to your high standards then you need to apply for the job of manager to see if you can motivate him to do better.

Not utter tosh.... it’s not down to just the manager to improve players.

Players have to take a look at themselves and work on their shortcomings.... can’t blame the manager for Solly not having the mental strength to perform at this level

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Players have to take a look at themselves and work on their shortcomings.... can’t blame the manager for Solly not having the mental strength to perform at this level

Do you think the manager is incapable of recognising that?

It's bandwagon jumping. Everyone is saying Solly is rubbish so I think so too.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
He's both. I think he needs a loan. A decent season in the Championship will make or break his Albion career. Staying in the first team will, IMHO, ruin him.

I will say though, for a winger to not be able to beat a player or put in a cross is a worrying concern. Most can do one, the best do both, he does neither.

Must admit I can't remember Solly ever having crossed for a headed goal. Can think of a couple along the ground but that's it...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

No i think the manager is well aware of it which is why we spent £17m on another winger and when he is up to speed and Jose is back we won’t be seeing Solly at all.

I’m not bandwagon jumping, I’m saying what I saw today which was a player who clearly has pace and ability look scared and in some cases uninterested.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We are now at a point where running fast and being strong are a standard part of the requirements, not a defining one, likewise, as opposed to championship life, some intelligence and (I hate it) 'gamesmanship'.

However, the next level is psychology. We seemed ok last season, at least enough of the time to survive. After today's summer outing, I' m a little concerned.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Who says he deserves it? Certainly not the club or the manager.

Bit of an odd statement to make. I think it's highly unlikely that anyone from the club is going come out and say a specific player deserves to receive criticism. Plus, this is a football forum here, where people discuss things. We are allowed to have a different opinion to the manager. Obviously the manager's opinion is worth more, but that doesn't mean our opinions are completely invalid. It would be a bit boring if everyone agreed on everything. Plus, different managers themselves have different opinions on players and different opinions on tactical approaches. In any case, unless Solly improves dramatically, he'll find himself regularly benched once all our players are fit and integrated.

I say his some of his performances in the past have deserved more criticism than they have received because he has regularly failed to produce any end product going forward. Some of it is down to him not trying to take the ball past players in good positions and instead of going for an easy pass and some of it is down to really bad delivery into the box, for example. I seem to recall that the first half of last season he got away with a lot of what I would consider poor performances based on the above sort of situations. People would say things like 'he looked bright', without commenting on his lack of end product. However, over the course of the season people got wise to his ultimately no-product performances, and then eventually sometimes people focused more on his poor performances than others who had also performed poorly. Or his poor peformances would be exaggerated. That is poor relative to the division which we are in.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Bit of an odd statement to make. I think it's highly unlikely that anyone from the club is going come out and say a specific player deserves to receive criticism. Plus, this is a football forum here, where people discuss things. We are allowed to have a different opinion to the manager. Obviously the manager's opinion is worth more, but that doesn't mean our opinions are completely invalid. It would be a bit boring if everyone agreed on everything. Plus, different managers themselves have different opinions on players and different opinions on tactical approaches. In any case, unless Solly improves dramatically, he'll find himself regularly benched once all our players are fit and integrated.

I say his some of his performances in the past have deserved more criticism than they have received because he has regularly failed to produce any end product going forward. Some of it is down to him not trying to take the ball past players in good positions and instead of going for an easy pass and some of it is down to really bad delivery into the box, for example. I seem to recall that the first half of last season he got away with a lot of what I would consider poor performances based on the above sort of situations. People would say things like 'he looked bright', without commenting on his lack of end product. However, over the course of the season people got wise to his ultimately no-product performances, and then eventually sometimes people focused more on his poor performances than others who had also performed poorly. Or his poor peformances would be exaggerated. That is poor relative to the division which we are in.

Ah yes, the good old, It would be boring if we had the same opinions, excuse. It's just moaning and because you want to moan about Solly, the defeat must be all his fault. There were 11 players on the pitch but it was all Solly's fault.

Moan away.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Ah yes, the good old, It would be boring if we had the same opinions, excuse. It's just moaning and because you want to moan about Solly, the defeat must be all his fault. There were 11 players on the pitch but it was all Solly's fault.

Moan away.

Based on your response I can only conclude that you didn't read my posts properly. I have not once suggested the defeat was Solly's fault. I even suggested that Solly is now receiving criticism that outweighs his performances and that people are focussing more on him than others. But I also believe that some of the criticism Solly is receiving is fair as he's been poor for a long time now and needs to improve. You can't say the same for all of the others players which performed badly today.

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
When someone is as out of form as Solly surely the best thing for him is to leave him out

Perhaps he was played to get him off our books to be loaned to a Championship side?
Though on today’s performance he wouldn’t get into a league 1 side.
Dire player - can play in league cup games if we can’t rid him

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
To play in the Premier League , you need to have lots of self confidence , and believe in your ability March has neither at the moment

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Moan away.

Grade A Horseshit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Some of us have been questioning his contribution for a long time now. As I alluded to elsewhere on here I am starting to think that he hasn’t got the mental toughness to make it at this level, although he does have the skill and pace.

Of course I don’t know better than CH but I can have an opinion that he is making a mistake in persevering with him as a starter given that he has been rubbish in most of the recent games he has started

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Skill?

Don’t think I buy that.

When have you ever seen Solly March doing Knockeart esque skills?

In my mind he is a fairly limited winger with little or no end product. Woefully out of his depth at this level.

Hughton basically said to last seasons squad “you kept us up last season, you can keep your place, but its up to you to hold on to it”.

The likes of Murray, Bong and March will be nothing more than squad players by GW 10.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Skill?

Don’t think I buy that.

In my mind he is a fairly limited winger with little or no end product. Woefully out of his depth at this level.

Hughton basically said to last seasons squad “you kept us up last season, you can keep your place, but its up to you to hold on to it”.

The likes of Murray, Bong and March will be nothing more than squad players by GW 10.

I think there is an end product there, I just think it only tends to come to fruition with any regularity from the right side, rather than the left. Some players are better as inverted wingers and some are better on their natural side. I think Solly, like Knockaert and Izquierdo are the former. I don't imagine, with his relative lack of pace, that Knockaert would be that well suited to playing as a left sided midfielder in our current set up as, like March, I think he would end up being too one dimensional.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Look.... he markets himself as a winger, but, he refuses or is unable to run at pace, he refuses or is unable to take a player on, he refuses or is unable to look up before attempting to cross the ball, he tackles nobody, he is shrugged off the ball with ease............ methinks he has reached a ceiling of ability....... Championship loan beckons, now or January.

Just my view.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Look.... he markets himself as a winger, but, he refuses or is unable to run at pace, he refuses or is unable to take a player on, he refuses or is unable to look up before attempting to cross the ball, he tackles nobody, he is shrugged off the ball with ease............ methinks he has reached a ceiling of ability....... Championship loan beckons, now or January.

Just my view.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Think you’ve summed it up perfectly

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Skill?

Don’t think I buy that.

Nope - can’t work it out. What is GW 10 please?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here