Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Annoyed at myself and a little bit the club!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My Dad died and I had to leave before a game to get home , and the steward made a point of telling me no readmission before grudgingly opening the gate

I find the ''no re-admission'' policy quite archaic.

They had it at Millwall initially but relaxed it because people were smoking dope in the toilets during half time and it absolutely stank and with kids going into the toilets it really wasn't appropriate. I have no issue with anyone who wants to indulge in class AB or C drugs - That's their perogative but not around kids.

Millwall addressed this by creating a smoking area which is stewarded for people to go out and smoke and then come back in. I think there are a few other clubs who have done the same.

D

Deleted User X18H

I realise this thread is a little self indulgent but hey ho! I rocked up at the amex a few hours early to soak up the atmosphere. I went to my seat and gazed around the ground drinking it all in. I then got a text from some friends saying they are in Dicks bar and it was apparently my round. Without thinking I wandered out and went for a drink. After a lovely hour over a pint I went to return. I was horrified to find that there is no readmittance. Of course I understand this rule but after all the decades of supporting the Albion I was exasperated to find they would not budge and I was set to miss this momentous day. I did lose my sh@t which wasn't the best response. After composing myself I sweet talked one of the Stewards who to my eternal thanks was kind enough to turn a blind eye and let me in. Phew!!!
Of course it was my own fault but you would think they could have shown a little kindness on the day of our long awaited return.

How did you get out in the first place? You would have had to be let out by a gate steward who would WITHOUT DOUBT told you about the no re-admittance law.

Smells like the cows are coming home to me !

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I realise this thread is a little self indulgent but hey ho! I rocked up at the amex a few hours early to soak up the atmosphere. I went to my seat and gazed around the ground drinking it all in. I then got a text from some friends saying they are in Dicks bar and it was apparently my round. Without thinking I wandered out and went for a drink. After a lovely hour over a pint I went to return. I was horrified to find that there is no readmittance. Of course I understand this rule but after all the decades of supporting the Albion I was exasperated to find they would not budge and I was set to miss this momentous day. I did lose my sh@t which wasn't the best response. After composing myself I sweet talked one of the Stewards who to my eternal thanks was kind enough to turn a blind eye and let me in. Phew!!!
Of course it was my own fault but you would think they could have shown a little kindness on the day of our long awaited return.

Bit of a school-boy error there, and the stewards are probably a little busy to be checking everyone in and out. Still, they did let you back in, so looks like the club did the right thing by you. I'm sure you were kicking yourself.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is OP for real? "After a lovely hour over a pint I went to return. I was horrified to find that there is no readmittance." Pretty fitting he ended up in Dick's Bar. What with being a DICK and everything! :rolleyes:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like others I wonder how you just 'wandered out' seeing as all the exits are pretty tightly controlled to stop people from just 'wandering in'.

Still never mind, you obviously haven't been to a match for years so I hope you enjoyed your first visit to the Amex. At least you'll know the ropes next time.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
How did you just just wander out? The only bits open are the turnstiles. My husband was taken ill last season,and had to plead with the stewards to let him out.
He had to ask three times before they let him out, and was advised he couldn't come back. He had to emphasise that he was ill, and going home, before they finally let him out.
I literally wandered out the open gate by the turnstiles not a steward in sight!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In the eyes of common sense - what's so wrong with allowing re-admittance?

Because the season tickets can't let admittance more than once otherwise people could come back through the turnstiles with their mates tickets to get other friends in. That's the obvious answer anyway. I guess there's no way of proving it was you who used it initially to get in. However, in these circumstances, with a calm manor and a lot of persistence you can usually find someone's willing to use common sense as the OP found in the end. You just have to know how to blag things occasionally!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How did you just just wander out? The only bits open are the turnstiles. My husband was taken ill last season,and had to plead with the stewards to let him out.
He had to ask three times before they let him out, and was advised he couldn't come back. He had to emphasise that he was ill, and going home, before they finally let him out.

All I can think of, is that as it was still pre kick-off, and fans must have been beginning to pour into the stadium, that there were still a lot of stwards on duty in and around the turnstile area.

But as you say, normally trying to gain exit whilst the match is actually in progress, would normally involve writing a thesis on why you want to leave, before someone will open a door for you. Certainly that was the case for me when l needed to leave early following a suspected break in at home a few seasons ago.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And then he simply walked in to Dicks bar? There was an effing massive queue from the time I arrived at 4pm until I went in to the WSU at 5pm.

Yup, was just about to post the same. OP apparently just ambled out of the ground, and just ambled into Dick's bar to meet up with chums because it's jolly hockey sticks 'my round'.

The queue for Dick's Bar is almost always stupidly long.

OP is full of shit.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
There isn't usually a need to leave the stadium with the intention of going back in most of the time. You could've offered to buy a round after the match, or you could've just met them in Dick's bar before going in. It's the club's policy and they give you a reasonable warning about it on the tickets. I'd just take it as a lesson learned for next time and be glad you got the Steward in a good mood.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I literally wandered out the open gate by the turnstiles not a steward in sight!!

I'm sorry, but we went in very early, with over an hour to go, and the stewards were on duty. At 15.30 there was a queue to get into Dick's Bar.
I don't believe your post.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Why was yesterday the long awaited return?

I always thought that would have been when we returned back to Brighton from Gillingham, or when we finally had a permanent home ground again?

I really hope our fans don't start pretending that the objective and meaning of this club and it's last 20 years was all about getting to the Prem.

Not true. Staying alive was the big dream. Getting to the prem is just a luxury. No big deal. Fans shouldn't see this as the be end all of everything,
Off your high horse fella! Of course they were historic and momentous days for the club that nearly died, but so was yesterday!

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm sorry, but we went in very early, with over an hour to go, and the stewards were on duty. At 15.30 there was a queue to get into Dick's Bar.
I don't believe your post.

I really could give a flying hoot if you do or don't but it's true. I think the little blonde Steward that let me back in realised that she should have been looking after the gate. There were obviously stewards on the turnstile and frisking outside. Had a pint of Harveys at the Harveys bar. I'm sure if you ask the club the can show you ctv footage. If not I heard Columbo is free this weekend.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
There isn't usually a need to leave the stadium with the intention of going back in most of the time. You could've offered to buy a round after the match, or you could've just met them in Dick's bar before going in. It's the club's policy and they give you a reasonable warning about it on the tickets. I'd just take it as a lesson learned for next time and be glad you got the Steward in a good mood.

Yep this about right. I would just have been devastated not to see the match!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I really could give a flying hoot if you do or don't but it's true. I think the little blonde Steward that let me back in realised that she should have been looking after the gate. There were obviously stewards on the turnstile and frisking outside. Had a pint of Harveys at the Harveys bar.

Your mates in Dick's Bar must have been a wee bit pee'ed off at that, what with it being 'your round' and everything. Hope you sent them an explanatory text.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Yup, was just about to post the same. OP apparently just ambled out of the ground, and just ambled into Dick's bar to meet up with chums because it's jolly hockey sticks 'my round'.

The queue for Dick's Bar is almost always stupidly long.

I did in fact queue for a little while as the queue wasn't that long, but why do you even care? And why would I make a rather dull story??? I'm frankly a little surprised by your disbelief

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I really could give a flying hoot if you do or don't but it's true. I think the little blonde Steward that let me back in realised that she should have been looking after the gate. There were obviously stewards on the turnstile and frisking outside. Had a pint of Harveys at the Harveys bar. I'm sure if you ask the club the can show you ctv footage. If not I heard Columbo is free this weekend.

You really shouldn't be identifying a steward who helped you out in this way. This may rebound on the steward and people
who wish to be re-admitted in the future. Perhaps it would be good for everybody if you were to stop there and request the thread is deleted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here