Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2017

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15438440.Largest_outdoor_cinema_in_Europe_returns_to_Brighton/

BRIGHTON’S world famous beach is taking centre stage this summer to screen a series of blockbuster movies.

A huge HD quality screen will play more than 90 sizzling films over 32 days starting today.

Attractions include La La Land, Beauty and the Beast, Moana, Jaws, T2 (Trainspotting), Logan and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

It’s the 6th year that Big Beach Screen Events has hosted the summer event - Europe’s largest outdoor cinema - and the organisers say this year’s line-up is bigger and better than ever.

The month-long film extravaganza kicks off tonight with a screening of BAFTA and Oscar award winner Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them starring Eddie Redmayne and Katherine Waterston.

It’s followed by Kong: Skull Island staring Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L Jackson and Brie Larson.

The event, which was attended by 75,000 last year, is then officially launched on Saturday when legendary BBC 6 DJ Gilles Peterson takes the stage for a day-long film and music festival.

Gilles will be accompanied by music producer and DJ, MC Earl Zinger and a host of bands and musicians including Freak Power - originally founded by Norman Cook, AKA Fatboy Slim - who have reformed especially for this summer.

Three films will then be shown each day on the 40-square metre cutting edge LED screen, which will be located on the beach just seconds from the Palace Pier - the perfect cinema screen backdrop.

On Sunday BBSE will be hosting one of the semi-finals of the British Street Food awards and to get the filmgoers taste buds tingling four laugh-out-loud movies will be screened - Ratatouille, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Willy Wonka and Chef.

There will then be an unbroken run of movie madness until Saturday August 26 when BBSE will screen iconic 70s classic Quadrophenia, which includes a live question and answer session with stars of the film including leading man Phil Daniels.

This will be followed by a performance and 60s themed video show by Who’s Next, widely regarded to be the #1 Who tribute band, and a DJ set from Drew Stanstall, former member of ska legends, The Specials.

The movie month finishes on Bank Holiday Monday with showings of The Addams Family and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Big Beach Screen Events’ newly-appointed creative director Adam Goldman said: “This is a very exciting time for event cinema and open air movies.”

For ticket sales you should visit to www.brightonsbigscreen.com

Not tried this before and was hoping Dunkirk would be shown. LaLa Land looks the next best option but haven't seen a film in years.

Any recommendations?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15438440.Largest_outdoor_cinema_in_Europe_returns_to_Brighton/

BRIGHTON’S world famous beach is taking centre stage this summer to screen a series of blockbuster movies.

A huge HD quality screen will play more than 90 sizzling films over 32 days starting today.

Attractions include La La Land, Beauty and the Beast, Moana, Jaws, T2 (Trainspotting), Logan and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

It’s the 6th year that Big Beach Screen Events has hosted the summer event - Europe’s largest outdoor cinema - and the organisers say this year’s line-up is bigger and better than ever.

The month-long film extravaganza kicks off tonight with a screening of BAFTA and Oscar award winner Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them starring Eddie Redmayne and Katherine Waterston.

It’s followed by Kong: Skull Island staring Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L Jackson and Brie Larson.

The event, which was attended by 75,000 last year, is then officially launched on Saturday when legendary BBC 6 DJ Gilles Peterson takes the stage for a day-long film and music festival.

Gilles will be accompanied by music producer and DJ, MC Earl Zinger and a host of bands and musicians including Freak Power - originally founded by Norman Cook, AKA Fatboy Slim - who have reformed especially for this summer.

Three films will then be shown each day on the 40-square metre cutting edge LED screen, which will be located on the beach just seconds from the Palace Pier - the perfect cinema screen backdrop.

On Sunday BBSE will be hosting one of the semi-finals of the British Street Food awards and to get the filmgoers taste buds tingling four laugh-out-loud movies will be screened - Ratatouille, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Willy Wonka and Chef.

There will then be an unbroken run of movie madness until Saturday August 26 when BBSE will screen iconic 70s classic Quadrophenia, which includes a live question and answer session with stars of the film including leading man Phil Daniels.

This will be followed by a performance and 60s themed video show by Who’s Next, widely regarded to be the #1 Who tribute band, and a DJ set from Drew Stanstall, former member of ska legends, The Specials.

The movie month finishes on Bank Holiday Monday with showings of The Addams Family and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Big Beach Screen Events’ newly-appointed creative director Adam Goldman said: “This is a very exciting time for event cinema and open air movies.”

Not tried this before and was hoping Dunkirk would be shown. LaLa Land looks the next best option but haven't seen a film in years.

Any recommendations?

you haven't seen a film in years? Do you mean at the cinema?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Any recommendations?

Rogue One is good.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
you haven't seen a film in years? Do you mean at the cinema?

Think the last film I saw at the cinema was A Christmas Carol (3D) with my Ma at Christmas I guess 2009. Last film I saw with her too as she passed away in 2011.

I do watch films on tv but I'm quite selective and not a buff by any means.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Think the last film I saw at the cinema was A Christmas Carol (3D) with my Ma at Christmas I guess 2009. Last film I saw with her too as she passed away in 2011.

I do watch films on tv but I'm quite selective and not a buff by any means.

Me too. last film I saw at a little cinema was about Miles Davis, it was terrible! I'm lucky enough to live right by The Duke of Yorks at Preston Circus, not keen on big cinemas where you end up with Crisps and Noise Machine next to you :annoyed:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Imdb I think. The fact that the film 'A dog's purpose" is on there is enough to dismiss the list outright.

Have you seen it ? Have you seen Haachi ? They are both very good especially Haachi but your disregard and general above everyone else attitude still shines strong I see. Never change xx

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Me too. last film I saw at a little cinema was about Miles Davis, it was terrible! I'm lucky enough to live right by The Duke of Yorks at Preston Circus, not keen on big cinemas where you end up with Crisps and Noise Machine next to you :annoyed:
If I'm to reminisce over my time on the dole in Brighton in my late teens then it would be of living up Stanley Road and being a weevil's chuff form the Duke. Twas in its considerably tatty days, but of an afternoon I'd nip in with my dole card and watch a Hitchcock for about £2.50. I loved it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
If I'm to reminisce over my time on the dole in Brighton in my late teens then it would be of living up Stanley Road and being a weevil's chuff form the Duke. Twas in its considerably tatty days, but of an afternoon I'd nip in with my dole card and watch a Hitchcock for about £2.50. I loved it.

that brings back memories, it was a right flea pit, run by hippies flogging carrot cake, I went there twice a day sometimes :)

saw Pink Flamingoes there :eek:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Have you seen it ? Have you seen Haachi ? They are both very good especially Haachi but your disregard and general above everyone else attitude still shines strong I see. Never change xx

Try not to knock your vagina on the way out.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ha ha, have you seen it or just talking from ignorance, interested ?

I heard an interview with Dennis Quaid on the radio about the film, I saw a trailer and read a review. I didn't see it for the exact same reason I wouldn't go and see a Barbie film. They are utter tripe.

I've never seen a Harry Potter film as it's just not my thing but I know they're not rubbish. They're very good but not for me. But The Purpsoe of a Dog is shat. I can happily say that without watching the entire thing.
IMDb lists are generally full of over populist schmaltz.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Any recommendations?

I've never been to any of these before, but thinking about it the seafront is quite often misty and breezy ....

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I've never been to any of these before, but thinking about it the seafront is quite often misty and breezy ....

Not to mention the "summer"downpours.

If you can potg so to speak at least you'll be able to pick out a decent weather day.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The Purpsoe of a Dog is shat. I can happily say that without watching the entire thing. .

Lots of people are suckers for a sad dog dies at the end of the film. This film they get to be sad multiple times. Multiple joy for dog lovers

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I heard an interview with Dennis Quaid on the radio about the film, I saw a trailer and read a review. I didn't see it for the exact same reason I wouldn't go and see a Barbie film. They are utter tripe.

I've never seen a Harry Potter film as it's just not my thing but I know they're not rubbish. They're very good but not for me. But The Purpsoe of a Dog is shat. I can happily say that without watching the entire thing.

So the short answer is no then

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lots of people are suckers for a sad dog dies at the end of the film. This film they get to be sad multiple times. Multiple joy for dog lovers

The Dog did not die at the end of the film

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

That is because going against the popular films makes you reinforce your superiority over the unwashed and those people unworthy of an opinion

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The Dog did not die at the end of the film
True but it will.

A synopsis of the film - contains spoilers (courtesy of Slate's Culture Blg)

All the Ways the Dog Dies
1. The first dog, a stray mutt puppy without a name, is captured by a dogcatcher and then euthanized off screen. (This goes by very quickly and subtly in the first few minutes of the film, and as a result I imagine many parents will have to explain to confused, tearful children what sometimes happens to stray dogs who can’t find homes.)
2. The second dog, a golden retriever named Bailey, is put to sleep in a veterinary office after suffering kidney failure.
3. The third dog, a German shepherd police dog named Ellie, attacks a kidnapper on a bridge to save her owner’s life, and then the kidnapper shoots Ellie, who bleeds to death.
4. The fourth dog, a corgi named Tino, dies of old age and heartbreak after his longtime canine companion, Roxie, is put to sleep.
5. The fifth dog, a St. Bernard–Australian shepherd mix named Buddy, doesn’t die! Not during the movie. Though if we can take any lesson from A Dog’s Purpose, it is that he will still die eventually, in extraordinarily heartbreaking fashion.
Near-Death Experiences That the Dog Survives
1. Bailey, the golden retriever, is locked in a hot car as a puppy and almost dies of thirst.
2. Bailey almost dies in a fire after a boy who is bullying his owner, Ethan, puts a lit firework through the mail slot in Ethan’s house.
3. Bailey chases after an ambulance holding Ethan after Ethan is injured escaping the fire.
4. Later, Bailey chases a car that Ethan is driving as he leaves home for college. (Granted, it would be pretty dark if a dog got hit by his own owner in a movie like this. But I get nervous when any dog chases cars! Don’t let your dog chase cars, people.)
5. Ellie, the German shepherd, jumps off a bridge to save the life of a girl who was thrown in the water by the aforementioned kidnapper. (According to leaked footage from the shoot, the jump was not quite as voluntary as it appears in the movie.)
6. Tino, the corgi, eats lots of junk food and is told by a vet that he needs more exercise, which made me worry that he might develop canine diabetes or heart disease.
7. Buddy, the St. Bernard–Australian shepherd mix, is adopted by a woman and man who chain him to a tree in the yard and neglect him for years.
8. Eventually, the man drives Buddy to a rail yard and abandons him there with nothing to eat.
9. Buddy runs through traffic as he searches for a new home.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here