Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jamie Oliver jerk rice controversy

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
WTF are you on about?

The distortion is that it's got nothing to do with not being allowed to eat a food from another culture. Debate it all you like, but at least debate the right point.
wtf are you on about ? he didnt mention anything about not being able to eat food from another culture , that wasnt his point but i suspect you know that , to borrkw a line you used earlier , dawn butler is outraged (or.claims to be) because hes got jerk rice on the menu but hes not jamaican , shed propbably be better off tackling the avalance of knife crime and murders that young blacks are carrying out on each other.

D

Deleted member 22389

These people are a bunch of pathetic sad idiots. That reminds me, better make a complaint about the puppets in the Dolmio adverts.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Just wait until they discover that non-Greeks have been running marathons.

And, to add insult to injury, in the Olympics too!

And wearing clothes!

And women too!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Got chatting to a couple from Chicago on our last cruise about the difference in their lives and ours. It was really interesting and as the drink flowed( has anyone every tasted anything as henious as green green grass drink? ) we got on to this cultural appropriation debate.

Seemly in the US now there was a recent case of a band that was basically a covers band, and they played all sorts including bob Marley stuff. According to these guys, someone complained and sued the band for cultural appropriation of the West Indian accent on Marley songs. I kid you not. So the judge threw it out, but it went to court in Chicago and caused a great deal of debate about white people " pretending" to be black people.

This couple were African Americans and thought it was all pathetic as he said, how do you sing Marley songs in an American or English accent...it is just mad.

Btw. Green green grass is jalapeño, cucumber, mint, triple sec, vodka, Tennessee whiskey, tequila and a splash of soda. It is like drinking lava. I had a " taste" of it which was literally a sip, and it took me 20 minutes to feel my tongue again. It was made for this lady who knocked back two tumblers full of it. I take it she had an arse made out of asbestos.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
While I think the whole notion of cultural appropriation is ludicrous and offensive (and seems to be one-way*), I do find it strange that anyone would go to a Jamie's Italian when there are so many excellent Italian restaurants run by Italians with food cooked by Italians just round the corner (or just up St James's Street in the case of La Capannina, my personal favourite). But then I can't understand why there's ever anyone in the Starbucks in St James's Street when there's Red Roaster across the road.

(* by which I mean that it's only wrong when white Europeans do it - does anyone object to all the Italian and Mexican restaurants owned by Iranians in Hove?)

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
wtf are you on about ? he didnt mention anything about not being able to eat food from another culture , that wasnt his point but i suspect you know that , to borrkw a line you used earlier , dawn butler is outraged (or.claims to be) because hes got jerk rice on the menu but hes not jamaican , shed propbably be better off tackling the avalance of knife crime and murders that young blacks are carrying out on each other.

You're obviously dumb as well.

In the original post it says "Shocking news , does this mean I should stop eating Chinese food".

I replied that this was a distortion of the point.

beorhthelm replied to that, saying "it's not really", and then spewed out some words that did not seem to be related to the distortion to which I was referring to, hence the clarification.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Got chatting to a couple from Chicago on our last cruise about the difference in their lives and ours. It was really interesting and as the drink flowed( has anyone every tasted anything as henious as green green grass drink? ) we got on to this cultural appropriation debate.

Seemly in the US now there was a recent case of a band that was basically a covers band, and they played all sorts including bob Marley stuff. According to these guys, someone complained and sued the band for cultural appropriation of the West Indian accent on Marley songs. I kid you not. So the judge threw it out, but it went to court in Chicago and caused a great deal of debate about white people " pretending" to be black people.

This couple were African Americans and thought it was all pathetic as he said, how do you sing Marley songs in an American or English accent...it is just mad.

Btw. Green green grass is jalapeño, cucumber, mint, triple sec, vodka, Tennessee whiskey, tequila and a splash of soda. It is like drinking lava. I had a " taste" of it which was literally a sip, and it took me 20 minutes to feel my tongue again. It was made for this lady who knocked back two tumblers full of it. I take it she had an arse made out of asbestos.

By that argument, Sting should give all his earnings away and quit the music business. Actually not a bad idea.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This PC desire for people to be narrowly defined in a certain way, eg based on birth and culture, seems at odd with other PC types who push, for example, for transvestites to be treated the opposite, ie they can define what they are when they want rather than their birth.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
While I think the whole notion of cultural appropriation is ludicrous and offensive (and seems to be one-way*)

I'm not well-read on the particulars of it all, but I think that's part of the idea behind it - it's the appropriation of something by a dominant culture from a minority culture, to the offence or detriment to that minority culture.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Is everyone purposefully missing the point? Of course he can do what he wants, but his 'jerk' isn't a jerk at all.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Jeez, this makes me so angry. Where does this end? Are Heinz appropriating ‘ketchup’ which is believed to originate from China? Originally, ketchup recipes used egg whites, mushrooms, oysters, mussels or walnuts so Heinz can’t even get the ingredients right according to the outraged Ms Butler’s logic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Chinese also invented pizza. Bi ze means "round thing" and was the generic term for sauce on round bread. "B" and "P" are interchangeable depending on whether you use the Wade Giles or Pinyin systems of Romanizing Chinese. It's why Peking became Beijing. It just means "north capital". Anyway, Marco Polo took it back to Naples and the rest was history. Not well known history though.

All things suffer from cultural appropriation at some point and food is one of the worst. Some of the food crimes committed in the name of "fusion" should have carried mandatory five year sentences and a lifetime ban from the kitchen. And that's really the issue here. Jamie has made "jerk" rice that has literally no jerk ingredients at all. Unfortunately under Corbyn's Labour party there is licence to totally miss the point in the name of political correctness. Imagine if these back to fronts ran the country. :eek:

If you want to make jerk you need scotch bonnets, though I'd tend to make a jerk sauce marinade and put it on chicken. Jerk rice is just weird. But then Jamie has never let authenticity get in the way of his fortune.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I'm not well-read on the particulars of it all, but I think that's part of the idea behind it - it's the appropriation of something by a dominant culture from a minority culture, to the offence or detriment to that minority culture.

Do you mean like all the British Indian restaurants that serve food that barely resembles food found in India?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Jeez, this makes me so angry. Where does this end? Are Heinz appropriating ‘ketchup’ which is believed to originate from China? Originally, ketchup recipes used egg whites, mushrooms, oysters, mussels or walnuts so Heinz can’t even get the ingredients right according to the outraged Ms Butler’s logic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That sounds really f**king tasty.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Imagine starting a thread about this.

It's all meaningless. She's got unnecessarily pissy about him getting Jerk wrong. He's now saying it's 'Jerk inspired'. Who honestly gives a ****.

Oh and UB40:ffsparr::moo:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Do you mean like all the British Indian restaurants that serve food that barely resembles food found in India?

Again not strictly true. India is so huge that the food varies enormously from North to South and betwen religions. Plenty of British Indians do dhal and chicken biryani which you can find all over (I had chicken biryani for my lunch in my company's Indian office canteen in Bangalore on Friday last week) and plenty of hotel restaurants in India do Tandoori chicken, tikkas and butter chicken. But they don't do "Madras", "Vindaloo" or "Chicken Tikka Masala". Thank God.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

So, if 10cc had recorded Dreadlock Holiday today would they have been charged with cultural appropriation?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You're obviously dumb as well.

In the original post it says "Shocking news , does this mean I should stop eating Chinese food".

I replied that this was a distortion of the point.

beorhthelm replied to that, saying "it's not really", and then spewed out some words that did not seem to be related to the distortion to which I was referring to, hence the clarification.

i think your post is what most people would term a load of b*llocks and quite simply trying to wriggle out of the hole youve dug for yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here