Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Armed police incident on Portland Road,Hove

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
According to locals on twitter someone threw a plant pot out of the window and a load of armed police turned up. Just another day in the ghetto that is West Hove.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While I accept I don't know the full details, that's an awful lot of police officers for an incident that even the police say is involving one person in one flat. Yet they claim they have budget issues.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Presumably, there's a lot more to the story than we've been told about so far.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
While I accept I don't know the full details, that's an awful lot of police officers for an incident that even the police say is involving one person in one flat. Yet they claim they have budget issues.

The canteen must have run out of doughnuts.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Sometime around 1995 there was a similar incident in the flats over the road from where I lived; a woman had threatened some kids with a gun and then refused to come out when police went knocking. We came home with a car full of shopping and the cordon was before our house but a kindly copper let us through after I told him he'd have to eat all the frozen food if he didn't.
The incident lasted about 3 hours and I recorded all of it on my flash new camcorder. 180 minutes of sod all followed by someone being put in a police car.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Probably someone with mental health issues trying to get some attention by hoaxing a 999 call and claiming he has a gun or explosives.

Indeed, and it would be no surprise if this incident used up half of the Sussex force’s monthly budget. There’s a fine line between dealing with criminals and dealing with those with mental health issues. Budgets for both are at an all time low.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Obviously a flat in Hove with pot coming out of the windows is bound to deserve a massive police response.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Isn't this police response a little OTT?

Are guns really neccessary in a situation like this?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
"they claim"?

Overall Sussex Police funding down 16% since 2010. Would be a 30% drop were it not for the addition of local council money.

Seems like a fair claim to me.

OK, fair enough - they have had budget cuts. When it comes to the 'high action' incidents they seem to be able to find multiple police cars/vans, dozens of officers and armed response. This is a good example as was the incident a few months ago in Southwick of someone being evicted and thowing their stuff out of the window. Equally there's never a shortage of officers for football matches ..... Tuesday being a good example of over policing. Yet try getting even a single officer to appear when you have anti-social behaviour going on in your street, vandalism ( look at that poor young woman having her car smashed up in Preston Street in the summer - not one officer turned up ) or an officer turning up if you've had your house or van broken into - no way.

Call me a cynic but I find it strange numerous officers are suddenly available for 'high octane' incidents but when it comes to the more mundane, more regular incidents you'd have more chance of Mary Poppins turning up than a police officer.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

If the person claims to have a gun, are you going to be the one who says, no, they're bluffing? Police have to take it seriously until proved otherwise.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

It would appear that you are better informed than the rest of us. Have you given the police this info so they can wind down their operation and stop wasting our money. Alternatively, leave it to the experts.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here