Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I get into arguments about this all the time, but I don't bother to vote in general elections because I'm tired of the way we vote in MPs.

Added to the fact that wherever I have live either Tory or Labour are a shoe-in.

I'm not advocating PR but what I chuckle about on a daily basis is the all things us "change" people are warned about - coalitions, unstable governments, governments unable to get legislation through, minority parties with too much power etc.. have been happening now for years under the current system.

So what I'd like to see (sound like squaring the circle) is a voting system that is 1) more representative and 2) delivers governments with a bigger majority/mandate.

Time for a second choice on the ballot paper me thinks. Currently, whatever way you look at it - Parliament is broken.

You're not advocating PR but you want a more representative government that delivers a bigger majority. Isn't that an oxymoron?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Her 'plan' must be to run down the clock and then present MPs with a choice of her deal or the Project Abyss annihilation - with no time left for anything else.

Thanks to the ECJ ruling parliament could rush through a "make the PM withdraw article 50" bill in a matter of days.

It certainly seems to be the most sensible choice if time is of the essence.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Being Mr Thicky, I do not understand why A50 would be withdrawn.

We are going in March or whenever it is. There is a deal on the table (not a fan of it but hey-ho).

EU say they will not budge.

UK will not accept it.

Ergo, it's a No Deal.

Move on.

All of this revoking and delaying is just another hope of stalling the whole thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, now she’s desperately and embarrassingly touring Europe. Barnier, Tusk and co have far more diplomacy and patience than me.....I’d tell Britain to do one and stop wasting everyone’s time.

The entire world can see she’s desperate, which puts the EU well and truly in the box-seat. If we do budge, and I hope we don’t, it will no doubt come at a cost to Britain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're not advocating PR but you want a more representative government that delivers a bigger majority. Isn't that an oxymoron?

Agee. I get [MENTION=865]clapham_gull[/MENTION]s point, and agree with it, but PR based systems typically engender the opposite of what he/she is suggesting with majorities. That said, coalitions can work well and smooth the more extreme edges off the biggest party. And above all they force parties to talk, cooperate and find a way forward together..... I’ll leave you all with that last salient point.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It would be like voting Lord Sutch, him of Monster Raving Loony, but without the satire and without the nod to British humour and in the knowledge you are shooting you self in the foot that he may actually win

Just listening to radio 5. Someone said they are really cross about what's going on and are completely 'cream crackered' (meaning angry). Someone else said they are 'petit poid' (meaning pissed off).

When English people have such a poor grasp of the colloquial English language one gives up.

Yes, I dislike Corbyn yet I am increasing wishing Corbyn on these morons. People will vote for him even though he is transparently useless. Of course they will - peope voted for this imaginary 'Brexit' after all.

The people I have the most contempt for are the former remainers who think we must 'honour' the vote and leave on whatever deal is on offer. 'Hello - I surrender' is the only opening gambit possible with this strategy. Looking back it seems this was what May said from the off (while huffing and puffing to the British media).

Brexit should have been advertised as 'the day after the referendum we leave, hard Brexit; whatever happens after that will be another world and another day'. It could never have been anything else.

Nobody voted for a negociated Brexit. Nobody. Yet.....what else are the governent supposed to do if they don't think hard Brexit was what we voted for? And yet negociations cannot ever give everybody what they thought they voted for.

Those parts of the world who have stopped (for the moment) laughing at the French and sneering at the yanks will be laughing at us (if they can be bothered to glance momentarily in our direction).

And why aren't the flouncers Broris and Davis not being hung out to dry over this? Neither of them have actually explained why they resigned. To me it looks like they realised that Brexit is a non-starter - unless it is a hard Brexit. Even Farrage has quit his party. Perhaps we should invite the last fraud standing, Yaxley-Lennon, to lead us into the promised land. And yes, I know there are people on here who think that would be great. Let's start off the Brexit process by burning down a pakistani newsagents, eh? It will start happening soon.....

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Yes trying to run down the clock until circa 22nd Jan and hoping panic and fear will push MP's off to vote for it. Could take a short term GE off the table, so interesting to see what Labour do...

Have the Government stated a timetable for Mrs Mays European tour and then a vote or could this in theory go right up to the 28th March, if that were the case then a vote of no confidence must be put forward

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I'm starting to feel sorry for the leave voters.

Even I thought that they would have found out what they voted for by now :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just listening to radio 5.

Then at least you didn't have the misfortune to listen to Radio 4, specifically Thought for the Day, and hear the church excusing and appeasing the very politicians who have dropped us head first in to the most rancid pool of manure just to service their own selfish interests of power and money. Time for Thought for the Day to go the way of Bernard Manning and Angel Delight. If anything it's even less relevant.

Someone said they are really cross about what's going on and are completely 'cream crackered' (meaning angry). Someone else said they are 'petit poid' (meaning pissed off).

When English people have such a poor grasp of the colloquial English language one gives up.

Yes, I dislike Corbyn yet I am increasing wishing Corbyn on these morons. People will vote for him even though he is transparently useless. Of course they will - peope voted for this imaginary 'Brexit' after all.

The people I have the most contempt for are the former remainers who think we must 'honour' the vote and leave on whatever deal is on offer. 'Hello - I surrender' is the only opening gambit possible with this strategy. Looking back it seems this was what May said from the off (while huffing and puffing to the British media).

Brexit should have been advertised as 'the day after the referendum we leave, hard Brexit; whatever happens after that will be another world and another day'. It could never have been anything else.

Nobody voted for a negociated Brexit. Nobody. Yet.....what else are the governent supposed to do if they don't think hard Brexit was what we voted for? And yet negociations cannot ever give everybody what they thought they voted for.

Those parts of the world who have stopped (for the moment) laughing at the French and sneering at the yanks will be laughing at us (if they can be bothered to glance momentarily in our direction).

And why aren't the flouncers Broris and Davis not being hung out to dry over this? Neither of them have actually explained why they resigned. To me it looks like they realised that Brexit is a non-starter - unless it is a hard Brexit. Even Farrage has quit his party. Perhaps we should invite the last fraud standing, Yaxley-Lennon, to lead us into the promised land. And yes, I know there are people on here who think that would be great. Let's start off the Brexit process by burning down a pakistani newsagents, eh? It will start happening soon.....

As for the rest I can only agree wholeheartedly whilst shaking my head in silent despair.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Have the Government stated a timetable for Mrs Mays European tour and then a vote or could this in theory go right up to the 28th March, if that were the case then a vote of no confidence must be put forward

The BBC stated that May has said the 21st Jan is the latest the vote can be held - no idea as to why she picked this date. I'd be very surprised if any vote is held before Christmas given Parliament's last day is the 20th. They don't come back until the 7th Jan. Given they also break for 10 days in February they don't have much time to actually do something before we leave by default.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
interesting suggestion that visit to Holland was at their invitation.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The BBC stated that May has said the 21st Jan is the latest the vote can be held - no idea as to hy she picked this date. I'd be very suprised if any vote is held before Christmas given Parliament's last day is the 20th. They don't come back until the 7th Jan. Given they also break for 10 days in February they don't have much time to actually do something before we leave by default.

Probably just enough time to extend Article 50 while a second referendum gets organised :whistle:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The BBC stated that May has said the 21st Jan is the latest the vote can be held - no idea as to hy she picked this date. I'd be very suprised if any vote is held before Christmas given Parliament's last day is the 20th. They don't come back until the 7th Jan. Given they also break for 10 days in February they don't have much time to actually do something before we leave by default.

It hasn't been announced officially, but the February recess will be dropped. There's been various reports on that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks to the ECJ ruling parliament could rush through a "make the PM withdraw article 50" bill in a matter of days.

It certainly seems to be the most sensible choice if time is of the essence.

would Parliament take the responsibility? it does seem the sensible way forward, whether or not they vote on the deal.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bercow was brilliant telling may off for wasting parliamentary time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It would be like voting Lord Sutch, him of Monster Raving Loony, but without the satire and without the nod to British humour and in the knowledge you are shooting you self in the foot that he may actually win

Yes ! let's re-elect Mrs May ! Strong and Stable etc etc...…. its far more fun watching the country go down the pan while she blatantly lies and eludes responsibility for the numerous crises we find ourselves in. Loved the one at PMQ's the other week " Wage growth is at it's fastest for the last ten years ! " But, forgetting to add the fact that for 9 of those years wage growth was less than the rate of inflation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here