Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] End of the line for Locadia

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The narcissistic whining he has made suggests to me that he thinks he should be starting every game despite his work rate, eye for goal, footballing intelligence and heading being light years behind Murray and Andone. In his own mind he's a natural replacement for Ronaldo at Real and a loan at say Forest will result in more strolling around, sulking and a paucity of goals or simply a refusal to go.

Sounds like a case of Nicolas Bendtner syndrome.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I agree with all of this apart from the last paragraph. Locadia is never going to go on loan to the championship or similar in my opinion. The narcissistic whining he has made suggests to me that he thinks he should be starting every game despite his work rate, eye for goal, footballing intelligence and heading being light years behind Murray and Andone. In his own mind he's a natural replacement for Ronaldo at Real and a loan at say Forest will result in more strolling around, sulking and a paucity of goals or simply a refusal to go.

Until the penny drops that he has to work on his weaknesses - like heading the effing thing - and that he has to work hard to succeed here it will end up in disappointment for all of us.

I actually don't think he is that bad. There is a good footballer in there somewhere, he just needs to work on demonstrating that.

My belief is that he thinks getting to a PL club means he's "made it" and somehow the work is done rather than the reality is the work is just starting.

I think he can get there, he needs the run of games... just he can't have them with us because we can't wait for him to catch on and catch up.

Can we stop recruiting from the Dutch leagues now?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree with all of this apart from the last paragraph. Locadia is never going to go on loan to the championship or similar in my opinion. The narcissistic whining he has made suggests to me that he thinks he should be starting every game despite his work rate, eye for goal, footballing intelligence and heading being light years behind Murray and Andone. In his own mind he's a natural replacement for Ronaldo at Real and a loan at say Forest will result in more strolling around, sulking and a paucity of goals or simply a refusal to go.
What exactly is the position on that, though. If Brighton, as his employer, tells him as an employee to go on loan to xxxx, can he refuse? Would that be breaching his contract, with presumably considerable financial ramifications for him?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What exactly is the position on that, though. If Brighton, as his employer, tells him as an employee to go on loan to xxxx, can he refuse? Would that be breaching his contract, with presumably considerable financial ramifications for him?

I've no idea to be honest. Take Tomer for example, he wants to play, has gone out on loan and had the right attitude when his chance came here. I would guess that Jurgen would think QPR are beneath him and stay and fight for his place here instead but in reality do very little to make a convincing case for a first team place.

His attitude reminds me of a load of people I've worked with over the years who complain they never get promoted but when asked to find thier arse with both hands don't know where to start.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I reiterate my main point that we base a lot of our survival in the PL down to the fact that we are solid defensively and in Murray and the CB's we have players who are strong in the air and very good at clearing our lines. It is also clear that we rely heavily on set pieces to cause problems to opponents.

Yes, but how much of that is design and how much a result of Locadia not working out? If he had worked out (or worked out sooner - added to allow for him to potentially work out for us still) we may have used various other tactics, picking up points in games where the solid defence/strong in the air didn't work out for us.

Although Andone scored with his head at Huddersfield, I am not convinced that he is a dominant header of the ball. None of our midfielders pose any aerial threat and it seems that we are significantly weakened when Murray doesn't start. Locardia, by his own admission and by the evidence of our own eyes is not a good header of the ball.
Andone is the alternative to Murray. Smaller, quicker, more mobile and very self assured and confident, despite a lack of game time. CH has to wrap Murray up in cotton wool. He simply won't last, if he doesn't and he has to be looking at a successor in the near future. Aerial power is essential to future success and we have to find another option to Locardia. Fine, if he is lightning quick, with good touch and a natural goalscorer but on the evidence I have seen, I don't believe he is the answer. I sincerely hope to be proved wrong.

Yes, Andone has proven to be, and we may see a bit more variety in our approach with Andone coming good now he is fit and playing. But we didn't have Andone when we signed Locadia. We had failed to bring anyone in in the summer before (other than a soon injured Izzy Brown on loan), so were left with a Baldock that was never really going to get a chance, and a Hemed who is seemingly viewed as a 'not as good as Murray' Murray-type player, and it looked like the January window would turn out as fruitless, striker-wise, as the summer, having failed to prise Andone from his then club, leaving us in need of an alternative, which, in theory Locadia should have provided. Again, I'm not claiming it worked out, and maybe if we got Andone in that first summer or the January window, we wouldn't have signed Locadia at all. But when we signed him, we needed someone who offered something different so when that usual solid defence/strong in the air was 'found out' we'd have another approach to use.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

It depends on the contract, but possibly not. Ref: Jack Rodwell.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There is no question that we acquired a £14m striker when we signed Locadia. However, that £14m striker turned out to be Glenn Murray. Locadia justified his fee by forcing Muzza to raise his game and keep us up.

What happens now? Best case, Locadia starts at Bournemouth in the Cup, scores a hat-trick and we never look back. He did well to get into that position at Burnley but mistimed the header. It happens. Remember Murray's miss late in the game at Palace last season?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There is no question that we acquired a £14m striker when we signed Locadia. However, that £14m striker turned out to be Glenn Murray. Locadia justified his fee by forcing Muzza to raise his game and keep us up.

What happens now? Best case, Locadia starts at Bournemouth in the Cup, scores a hat-trick and we never look back. He did well to get into that position at Burnley but mistimed the header. It happens. Remember Murray's miss late in the game at Palace last season?
"Locadia starts at Bournemouth in the Cup?"

Bugger! I hoped we were going to take the FA Cup seriously this season!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I mean really? Murray who fired in 23 Championship goals, scored 6 Premier League goals before we'd even signed Locadia - he then managed 6 more, where is the conclusion Murray suddenly raised his game? If I'd give Murray one thing, he's been bloody consistent since he came back. The team found a bit of form after Southampton away, but I think it is stretching it somewhat to put this down to Locadia's influence on Murray. ???

CH is continuing to use him so he may well start him in that one. I'll settle for a goal off his backside while he was doing his shoelaces in all honesty. :thumbsup:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Surely learning to head the ball is just practice, practice and more practice? Locadia appears to have just shrugged decided he can't do it and then whined to the press that we aren't treating him properly. Just work harder and practice more if you really want to be a PL player. If not...bugger off!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I mean really? Murray who fired in 23 Championship goals, scored 6 Premier League goals before we'd even signed Locadia - he then managed 6 more, where is the conclusion Murray suddenly raised his game? If I'd give Murray one thing, he's been bloody consistent since he came back. The team found a bit of form after Southampton away, but I think it is stretching it somewhat to put this down to Locadia's influence on Murray. ???

Seems a pretty common belief that the first half of last season that Murray wasn't doing well as a result of his ankle injury at the start of the season and Locadia's arrival seemed to spur him on to greater heights. If that is what happened or if Glenn just got fitter and more "match ready" anyway only a few people will actually know for sure.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I still haven’t given up on him. Bad miss but good movement and at least he was in exactly the right place when the cross came in. Gets tougher by the game for him until he actually scores though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Surely learning to head the ball is just practice, practice and more practice? Locadia appears to have just shrugged decided he can't do it and then whined to the press that we aren't treating him properly. Just work harder and practice more if you really want to be a PL player. If not...bugger off!

It's also bravery, risking a broken nose or a few stitches from an opponent's forehead or elbow of a goalkeeper's fist.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't even have time to point out the quality assist from Big Jurg.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I think he's great.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Excellent assist, crap header.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills