Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Albion fans to be grateful?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've got a shiny, new stadium and we're proud that we've been able to fill it. What's your problem with highlighting that fact?

No one has airbrushed the Goldstone from history.

As Nixonator has already said, the attendance record gets broken every time one or two extra seats are squeezed in here and there. The stadium capacity is listed as 30,750 so in theory the attendance record can be broken 96 more times - if you want to piss your pants over that ad nauseum feel free.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I’m not grateful that we got a record crowd, pleased yes but why on earth should I feel grateful to the wandering wolves ?? We are talking just a few hundred seats so no big deal imo.

It did seem that the security gap was not as big as it usually is, just a few seats, which presumably means it wasn’t seen as a high risk game for opposition fans to be closer than usual?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
More due to the fact we only have 1 home game between the 5th October and the 24th of November, bloody ridiculous.

One game in 7 weeks, it’s like pre season.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
As Nixonator has already said, the attendance record gets broken every time one or two extra seats are squeezed in here and there. The stadium capacity is listed as 30,750 so in theory the attendance record can be broken 96 more times - if you want to piss your pants over that ad nauseum feel free.

Piss my pants? I'm not even sure what you're on about.

I'm happy we're filling our stadium. You seem to be getting wound up over it :shrug:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just for info, at The Goldstone, we had 21 attendances over 30,000

Since we've been at The Amex, we've had 29, although one of those (v Wolves - 30,003 in May 2013 was a bit spurious)

Looking back at your list from ages ago http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?84594-Average-attendance-at-the-Goldstone, I find it interesting that four of these were from the year we missed out (77-78), but only two from 78-79, and none from Div1 - not even our first match against Arsenal. And now we have the highest Amex attendance in the middle of the discussions over whether we're too boring. So, do attendances really reflect success/entertainment?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Looking back at your list from ages ago http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?84594-Average-attendance-at-the-Goldstone, I find it interesting that four of these were from the year we missed out (77-78), but only two from 78-79, and none from Div1 - not even our first match against Arsenal. And now we have the highest Amex attendance in the middle of the discussions over whether we're too boring. So, do attendances really reflect success/entertainment?

The violence at the Spurs game in April 1978 had a big effect on attendances IMO. Perimeter fencing went up during the 78/79 season but the violence at the West Ham game put lots off. That was certainly given as the main reason why the first game in the top flight v Arsenal was attended by 'only' 28,604. The Goldstone was inspected in January 1980 and was found to require significant work to bring it up to standard to gain a certificate for 30,000 crowds. The average that season was still the 2nd highest on record at 24,795 (77/78 was 25,264).

At the start of 80/81the capacity was reduced to 24,000 because of various work schemes. The country was in recession and the threat of violence on the terraces was always there.

It is to do with success/entertainment but there are many other factors, especially back then when despite the success on the pitch, the Goldstone was literally crumbling away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here