Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merseyside lad to referee tonights Everton v Liverpool derby

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A scouser refereeing a Merseyside derby makes me think of this:

But the truth is there's probably no scousers playing in this game these days.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Genuine question(s) - do referees have to declare their football allegiances to the FA in the spirit of impartiality and does that declaration also include teams they dislike along with the team they support?

And if this is the case, do they ask for evidence and is this information available to managers? If not and a manager has his suspicions about a referee favouring a certain club... *cough* Howard Webb *cough* Man Utd...can anything be done about it?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Genuine question(s) - do referees have to declare their football allegiances to the FA in the spirit of impartiality and does that declaration also include teams they dislike along with the team they support?

And if this is the case, do they ask for evidence and is this information available to managers? If not and a manager has his suspicions about a referee favouring a certain club... *cough* Howard Webb *cough* Man Utd...can anything be done about it?

My PE teacher at school was a fourth official and sometimes a referee too. He was a Leeds fan and said that he couldn't ref any of their games, but the rules were actually pretty lax. Unless you're a shareholder or a season ticket holder then you can referee that team IIRC

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
All good so far, bet those who've bought bookings a bit concerned. No sing of anything like a bad tackle yet

Game has been played on a fantastic spirit so far to be fair, credit to both sides.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You could also have used Simon Hooper and Bournemouth as an example, especially as we have suffered from his suspect decisions :smile:

I am going to guess that the answer is no,

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Yes and Howard Webb supports Rotherham!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
A scouser refereeing a Merseyside derby makes me think of this:

But the truth is there's probably no scousers playing in this game these days.

These 3 guys are 'defo' at Goodison tonight. And TCAUS even did the 'calm down, calm down' bit when he booked Loveren.

Great noise mind.

PG

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think it is, it just isn't Liverpool/scouse.

Nor is Cornwall, by half a dozen coaches make the trip for every home Anfield game full of plastic Scouse

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My PE teacher at school was a fourth official and sometimes a referee too. He was a Leeds fan and said that he couldn't ref any of their games, but the rules were actually pretty lax. Unless you're a shareholder or a season ticket holder then you can referee that team IIRC

Thanks for this and the other replies to my question. I'm v surprised about this to be honest. You would have thought that there might be a voluntary disclosure or something at least. A few things spring from this - I remember [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] (I think it was him) saying that he worked with someone who was a league ref and had said privately that another ref who had officiated one of our games disliked Brighton. Also on that 10 in 10 Sky Bus thread someone mentioned that the players got the impression that Mike Dean was blanking them before the game but being chummy with Boro players. I know refs are professionals but if they genuinely have a like or a dislike for a side I'm sure it will affect decisions even subconsciously.

I do know of a rugby ref who was very open about his dislikes - back when [MENTION=22473]mac04[/MENTION] and I were doing our A levels we were taught by one of the most senior rugby union refs in the world at that time and I think one of the first things he said to us was "gentlemen, there are 3 things in this world that are nothing but trouble - wind, women and Welshmen"*. No way he would have been able to say that to a class nowadays for all sorts of reasons let alone being a rugby ref.

*Have I remembered that correctly [MENTION=22473]mac04[/MENTION]?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
****ing The Complete And Utter Shyster!

How did Barclay stay on the field.....twice!!

As the only scouser playing, he automatically qualifies for 2 bonus lives on bookable offences.

This is in remembrance of two animals from derbies of yesteryear...Steve Mcmahon and Graeme Souness.

Of course, Souness wasn't actually a scouser, but he fooled everyone by the clever use of tash and curly perm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here