Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion posts losses of £14.7m

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
But Barber is only worth less than half a Gordon Taylor, who picks up around a million quid a year for representing the interests of poor, downtrodden footballers.

And judging by the comment about how comparatively well those poor footballers are rewarded, it seems that Taylor is worth every penny to his members

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Hmmm. I don't want to turn this thread into a technical B/S thread, so will make only one point then stand down on the point. The club don't own the stadium Fixed Asset, so, in the club's accounts, isn't the "impact of purchase, sale and depreciation" of the stadium zero? Meaning that rent is simply an operating cost which would not be excluded for FFP? This interpretation would also explain why the rent charged is as low as it is.

I do note that you say that you're pretty sure the club will have agreed the treatment of the rent with the FL.

I'll leave it there.

As El Pres says, it makes sense that, if depreciation is excluded from the FFP calculation, any proxy for depreciation (ie rent) is also excluded. Otherwise, clubs that own stadia would be treated more favourably than clubs that don't.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And judging by the comment about how comparatively well those poor footballers are rewarded, it seems that Taylor is worth every penny to his members

Indeed. He's a true icon of the working class, up there with Arthur Scargill, surely? Keep the red flag flying, Gordon! :wink:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As El Pres says, it makes sense that, if depreciation is excluded from the FFP calculation, any proxy for depreciation (ie rent) is also excluded. Otherwise, clubs that own stadia would be treated more favourably than clubs that don't.

Aye, conceded. In which case, I wonder why any rent was included in the Club's accounts at all; it all consolidates out in Holdings' accounts anyway. If it doesn't count for FFP purposes, it's a moot point, I guess.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
1:Stadium depreciation/rent is ignored for FFP purposes, so the number is added back to losses to reduce them (as are youth development costs, probably about another £2-2.5million) so our FFP loss is between £11-12million I estimate.

2: TCS Ltd make a loss as they incur the stadium running costs, so nothing available for TB.

I can see that El Pres, but how do you think we will achieve an £8M loss ('ONLY'!) for 2013/14? We're talking about a cost saving of £3-4M, or increasing revenue by the same amount, or a mixture of both. Sounds a big 'ask' to me, UNLESS there are lots of once-off costs in the 2012/13 accounts ('front-loading')?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can see that El Pres, but how do you think we will achieve an £8M loss ('ONLY'!) for 2013/14? We're talking about a cost saving of £3-4M, or increasing revenue by the same amount, or a mixture of both. Sounds a big 'ask' to me, UNLESS there are lots of once-off costs in the 2012/13 accounts ('front-loading')?

I'm very confident. Some costs such as legal fees for Azure and redundancy won't arise in 2014. That will save £7-800k. Amex shirt deal, perimeter advertising, lower transport losses, more hospitality income all will contribute too.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm very confident. Some costs such as legal fees for Azure and redundancy won't arise in 2014. That will save £7-800k. Amex shirt deal, perimeter advertising, lower transport losses, more hospitality income all will contribute too.

I just want you to know that I was listening to you in bed last night :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The club are ultra-confident. That's good enough for me.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Thank you again, El Pres. If you're confident, then I am too! :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], this is a little stoopid, but as you're about it's worth a punt.

If our cup run were to continue, and keep continuing past Sheffield Utd, how would the club treat that 'extra' money?

Is it as simple as it just go straight off the debt?
Are we budgeted to say 'round 4' and beyond that, there you go Oscar?

The holders being knocked out in round 3 the following year would really skew the 2 balance sheets.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
But Barber is only worth less than half a Gordon Taylor, who picks up around a million quid a year for representing the interests of poor, downtrodden footballers.

He doesn't only represent the top paid players though does he? The union looks after young players, players in the lower leagues etc.

But that said, he does seem to get paid an awful lot.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], this is a little stoopid, but as you're about it's worth a punt.

If our cup run were to continue, and keep continuing past Sheffield Utd, how would the club treat that 'extra' money?

Is it as simple as it just go straight off the debt?
Are we budgeted to say 'round 4' and beyond that, there you go Oscar?

The holders being knocked out in round 3 the following year would really skew the 2 balance sheets.

I believe the club were confident of being inside the £8m target this season before both the transfer January window (which would have resulted in a surplus) and the proceeds of any extended cup run.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Bet Fair and ladbrokes probably do well out of that also :whistle:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Aye, conceded. In which case, I wonder why any rent was included in the Club's accounts at all; it all consolidates out in Holdings' accounts anyway. If it doesn't count for FFP purposes, it's a moot point, I guess.

I'm not sure - all parts of the group are, I think, loss-making and judging from non-recognition of deferred tax, are expected to remain so, so I can't think of any reason apart from an admin point: their tax return would have to be adjusted for transfer pricing purposes if they did not include a charge for rent. In monetary terms, it makes no difference.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I believe the club were confident of being inside the £8m target this season before both the transfer January window (which would have resulted in a surplus) and the proceeds of any extended cup run.

That sounds right to me.

I must say Albion fans are much nicer than Manchester United ones, some of whom have sent me very rude messages after I was on Radio Five Live at lunchtime, talking about United's financial results, and mentioned that United would save money this season from lower interest payments and win bonuses.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That sounds right to me.

I must say Albion fans are much nicer than Manchester United ones, some of whom have sent me very rude messages after I was on Radio Five Live at lunchtime, talking about United's financial results, and mentioned that United would save money this season from lower interest payments and win bonuses.

Hahahahahahaha breathe hahahahaha!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That sounds right to me.

Snigger!

Addiseagull

Nov 30, 2005
£480k for a CEO of a £25million turnover company is about right. CEO's of £5m-£10m businesses earn £150-£200k per annum, so on this basis £480k for Barber is about right. It's the going rate for a CEO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here