Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Haven't been on NSC for a few months after two of the most stressful things ever in my life happened. I lost the girl I loved most in the entire world, who fell into a diabetic coma and passed away at the end of April. I'm still grieving over her and probably always will. If that wasn't bad enough I've had a court case looming for most of the year which I was cleared of for all the charges (involving no one getting hurt at all I must add) at the end of last week. The relief of that is enormous although I had a nervous breakdown in June with what has been the most challenging year of my life. All this when Brighton reached the Premier League and all the excitement! I'm still worried about post-traumatic-stress with the two awful things.

But it's time to move on and enjoy being part of this brilliant forum for a very exciting season. Thank you for reading.

Very pleased to hear and my best wishes, don't be hard on yourself, you've been through two extraordinary stressful events and still are in one instance as you say. The best of luck, I wish you well.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Thank you to everyone for the kind words and PM's. NSC can be such a very comforting place when you need it. Maybe I should have come back sooner. I still have some very dark days but I'll always have some wonderful memories of her which I'll never lose. My mum and my siblings overwhelmed me with kindness to help me cope and counselling has made me stronger to deal with the challenges.

I love you all. :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thank you to everyone for the kind words and PM's. NSC can be such a very comforting place when you need it. Maybe I should have come back sooner. I still have some very dark days but I'll always have some wonderful memories of her which I'll never lose. My mum and my siblings overwhelmed me with kindness to help me cope and counselling has made me stronger to deal with the challenges.

I love you all. :)

Stay safe mate.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yep, and those. Glad to see you added the much ignored ADD, as people don't understand there is a problem unless children are bouncing off the walls.

People don't understand that adults have these problems too...especially ADD.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The trouble is, they can zombify you. Good on your missus, big up :thumbsup::)

they can make you a zombie but from my experience that is the first step to getting better, i.e. stop it getting worse/dangerous then stabilise then hopefully start climbing back up the ladder of recovery...As has been said before the first step is to recognise your problem and seek help and don't think it is a sign of weakness or bad; it's an illness and it has to be treated. One word of caution, my first visit to the GP was not good, seemed not to understand what I was saying/wanting. It took me another 6 months to go again and I was lucky to see another doctor who knew a lot more about mental health issues. If people want to PM me about my experence more than happy for a frank, supportive conversation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just moved to uni. Was fine for the last two days. The anxiety has hit me so hard today. I can't do anything.

Sorry to hear that - it's really not unusual though. Please get in touch with whatever the dept is called at your Uni that are there to help (Student Support, Student Welfare of similar usually). They will have all manner of resources to help

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Sorry to hear that - it's really not unusual though. Please get in touch with whatever the dept is called at your Uni that are there to help (Student Support, Student Welfare of similar usually). They will have all manner of resources to help

Yeah it's a pain in the ass, I was fine but today every conversation I have ends in me thinking that they think I'm weird and horrible. People that don't have it don't understand how difficult it is. I hate hoaring it out but it's ****ing ruining the experience.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Yeah it's a pain in the ass, I was fine but today every conversation I have ends in me thinking that they think I'm weird and horrible. People that don't have it don't understand how difficult it is. I hate hoaring it out but it's ****ing ruining the experience.

What are you studying ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Take a deep breath, dive in and enjoy the experience and get the most from it.

I always find you to be a funny guy on here. Be yourself, don't over think it and have the time of your life :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I feel for you, really do - should be having the time of your life. Our eldest had issues early in her degree course which threatened to ruin the whole experience for her. From what we saw the Unis are very, very attuned and geared up to helping (including getting outside help if needed) and very used to this. Best of luck.........

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Last edited:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
As you've probably seen by reading this thread, there are a lot of people , including myself who may never understand such issues, but are always about for a chat or an ear to lend.

Cheers mate. I was a horrible person who never really believed that strongly in mental illness untill I started suffering myself. Once I knew what it was like I'm always happy to help others who are feeling the same way.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Cheers mate. I was a horrible person who never really believed that strongly in mental illness untill I started suffering myself. Once I knew what it was like I'm always happy to help others who are feeling the same way.
If you don't mind me asking, what are the characteristics of your mental illness and are there specific circumstances which trigger them? Also how old were you when you first recognised that you were suffering with a mental illness?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
...... I was fine but today every conversation I have ends in me thinking that they think I'm weird and horrible..
I assume from the fact that you've only been there a couple of days that most of your conversations are with relative strangers. You're probably making the mistake of assuming the people you are talking to are all self assured and confident in their own skin when in fact they are going through exactly the same anxieties as you at meeting all these new people. Their anxieties and insecurities are probably giving off certain negative vibes which you are picking up on which makes you send out negative vibes of your own.
Even the most outwardly confident people can be wracked with insecurities and anxieties in certain social situations. Their overly confident manner is just their coping mechanism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here