Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I really hope there's an upset and May gets put back in her place. Unfortunately I doubt it.

An upset involves a 20% plus change in voting intentions over the next 6 weeks - really?

The Tories will be back in for the next 5 years and hopefully Labour will realise the total f*ck up they have made in the last 12 months or so.

If they are a serious Political Party they need to do some housekeeping...

D

Deleted member 22389

Think May has done a good job all things considered. Listening to Corbyn on the radio at the start of his rally, sounded like something from the 1980's. Labour are still going backwards. As for the Lib Dems, they are going to do a lot better than they did last time, but hopefully people like Farron will shut the FK up about Brexit after this.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Think May has done a good job all things considered. Listening to Corbyn on the radio at the start of his rally, sounded like something from the 1980's. Labour are still going backwards. As for the Lib Dems, they are going to do a lot better than they did last time, but hopefully people like Farron will shut the FK up about Brexit after this.

Without realising it you've hit the nail on the head there. The sole purpose of this election, the sole purpose, is to silence anyone who dares critisise Brexit. We are moving closer and closer to a tyrannical dictatorship and the irony of it all is we are being forced to vote for it. Only the voluntarily blind cannot see that.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Without realising it you've hit the nail on the head there. The sole purpose of this election, the sole purpose, is to silence anyone who dares critisise Brexit. We are moving closer and closer to a tyrannical dictatorship and the irony of it all is we are being forced to vote for it. Only the voluntarily blind cannot see that.

The general election should at least offer a clearer more up to date version of the referendum and therefore seems necessary and wholly appropriate, you, me and others have continually said what we felt Leave meant and it kept the Brexit thread going for months and months, with claim and counter claim, well this might clear it up a bit, it will at least be current.

The result might not represent your own view on Brexit, but so what, thats democracy.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The general election should at least offer a clearer more up to date version of the referendum and therefore seems necessary and wholly appropriate, you, me and others have continually said what we felt Leave meant and it kept the Brexit thread going for months and months, with claim and counter claim, well this might clear it up a bit, it will at least be current.

The result might not represent your own view on Brexit, but so what, thats democracy.

Democracy is two foxes and a chicken voting on what to have for dinner. Anyhow, it's no surprise and I can't be arsed to get involved with all this rubs while so much positive exciting stuff is happening at our club.
Down with May
Up with BHA

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Democracy is two foxes and a chicken voting on what to have for dinner. Anyhow, it's no surprise and I can't be arsed to get involved with all this rubs while so much positive exciting stuff is happening at our club.
Down with May
Up with BHA

Unfortunately unable to give you a half thumbs up ..............

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Well, if the Labour Party got their act together, there would at least be a credible opposition to this 'Tyrannical Dictatorship' that you seem to imagine.
Quite frankly, to call our Government a tyrannical dictatorship is complete drivel and an insult to those poor buggers in other parts of the world who really have suffered from such a regime.
Get a grip.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

kind of. Tories will get 40%-ish and claim this is some kind of second big-mandate for Brexit - which it won't be as they cannot get as much as 52% of the vote this time round. So if anything it muddies the water?

I do wonder where the big swing will be to give her this massive majority. Tories did a pretty damn good job last time of hoovering up the swing seats in the south and the midlands. There are just 13 non-Tory seats south of Birmingham and outside of London in England, and one of those is Carswell. Without being able to make any inroads in Scotland and with the Lib-dems bound to bounce back in the SW and London, can it be all that different? Or will Labour just fall off the cliff in the north and the capital (with UKIP/apathy doing for them?)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. My constituency of St Ives is the most western in England, Tories took it in 2015 with a 5% swing from Libdem and I suppose that majority of 2,500 has a chance of being overturned. Although the constituency had a narrow pro-Brexit vote, so perhaps we're looking further east to Truro and Falmouth which voted Remain.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Didn't Trump manage it in less time?

Key difference: polling has consistently underestimated support for the right and overestimated the left. Having said that, those of us who don't want a heavy right government can maybe hope that the polling companies have "over corrected" and are now underestimating support for the left.

It's still a difficult one to see happen. Trump "swam with the tide" when he beat the polls. As did Brexit. I don't think the tide has turned enough, so any surge in support for the left will be "against the tide". Corbyn's not the leader the left needs to push through. Especially as he's not going to appeal to the more centrist voters out there (he's too far left).

I think the best we can hope for is for Labour to hold onto their "safe" seats and regain some that they marginally lost in Remain areas, the SNP to clean up in Scotland, some non-Tory gains in Wales, and for the Lib Dems to pick their battles wisely. For LD it's not about trying to regain the same seats they lost last time around. It's about fielding the best candidates they can in pro-Remain seats that have pro-Brexit Tory MPs, and hitting them hard. Forget the national vote, and go for maximising local conditions. Maybe, just maybe, all that combined can result in a reduced Tory majority, and with a higher proportion of either pro-Remain or at least "soft" Brexit MPs in the Tory ranks.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Corbyn is starting to say the right things, and on just day 2. By day 50 people may have warmed to him.
I'm dreaming I know, there are far too many selfless twunts in this country for the Tories not to win.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Corbyn is starting to say the right things, and on just day 2. By day 50 people may have warmed to him.
I'm dreaming I know, there are far too many selfless twunts in this country for the Tories not to win.

Yes I agree 50 people may have warmed to him by Polling Day, Labour's problem is the other 50 million or so...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

He is indeed
His promise of "riches for all" pricked my ears up.

i want to be stinking rich and have a permanent holiday. looks like Jeremy has my back.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
Can you imagine Jezza representing our country on the world stage?

I imagine the question " Who the f**k is this silly old sod" would not be very far from people lips. I'm sure he would stand up to Putin, Merkel, Trump et al.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
kind of. Tories will get 40%-ish and claim this is some kind of second big-mandate for Brexit - which it won't be as they cannot get as much as 52% of the vote this time round. So if anything it muddies the water?

I do wonder where the big swing will be to give her this massive majority. Tories did a pretty damn good job last time of hoovering up the swing seats in the south and the midlands. There are just 13 non-Tory seats south of Birmingham and outside of London in England, and one of those is Carswell. Without being able to make any inroads in Scotland and with the Lib-dems bound to bounce back in the SW and London, can it be all that different? Or will Labour just fall off the cliff in the north and the capital (with UKIP/apathy doing for them?)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. My constituency of St Ives is the most western in England, Tories took it in 2015 with a 5% swing from Libdem and I suppose that majority of 2,500 has a chance of being overturned. Although the constituency had a narrow pro-Brexit vote, so perhaps we're looking further east to Truro and Falmouth which voted Remain.

Labour now and millions of Labour voters fully back Brexit, so the combined voted gives the mandate you touch on. Leaving the EU wasn't a Toreis against everyone else concept. It was and is a single issue supported by millions from all parties, other that the LibDems.

The BBC went to South West england earlier this week. They stated that outside of Bath (perhaps they should also have said Bristol? I don't know), there was an emphatic leave vote last year. The same with SE England where 55% voted leave.

SW seats are low in number and insignificant. It's the marginals in the Midland and in North England that will decide the size of Corbyns defeat.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Can you imagine Jezza representing our country on the world stage?

I imagine the question " Who the f**k is this silly old sod" would not be very far from people lips. I'm sure he would stand up to Putin, Merkel, Trump et al.
Boris Johnson currently represents our interests amongst foreign ministers the world over so not that unlikely.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here