Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hastings Old Town - very impressed

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Literally just left Dolphin Pub. Monday is fish and chip supper night (6-9pm). Thick piece of beer battered fish, hand cut chunky chips, mushy peas, fresh tartare sauce, pint of Hophead, sunny veranda, £9. Lived in old town since 83. Love it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
just carry on to Rye
regards
DR

Absolutely this. Picturesque. The little record shop where I bought loads of 12 inch singles in the 90s is still open. Newish art galleries, and a fantastic fish restaurant :bigwave:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Didn't the cross channel hovercraft used to beach at Hastings?

attachment.php

Attachments

• hovercraft-and-pier.jpg
    hovercraft-and-pier.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 739

Jan 30, 2008
Absolutely this. Picturesque. The little record shop where I bought loads of 12 inch singles in the 90s is still open. Newish art galleries, and a fantastic fish restaurant :bigwave:
Stayed at the windmill and the old borough arms a few times with the Mrs she likes to go to the mermaid for a drink in front of that ragging log fire :drink:
regards
DR

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
[/B]

Yes, completely agree with your estimation of the Old Town, which thrilled me when I first came to Hastings 14 years ago and still does - in fact I spent a most enjoyable 30 minutes this morning at the West Hill café overlooking the Old Town with its magnificent views of the sea as well. The area is the undoubted jewel in the crown and surely must be one of the most picturesque parts of Sussex. The walk through the Country Park to Fairlight is also well worth doing for the views, but you have to be fit.
I wish you had not ended your eulogy as you did, because this is most unfair, and I suspect, not terribly well researched. No one would dispute that some of the housing estates in the Ore area as well as Hollington leave something to be desired, but there are some lovely spots in the town as well. Alexandra Park, St Helens, top end of Braybrooke, much of the areas around the Ridge, most of West St leonards - all compare favourably with other areas of Sussex.
After Albion matches I invariably walk back to Mithras house, through Moulescoombe and then the flats on the other side of the Lewes Road, but would not judge Brighton on those housing areas.

This.

Hastings born and raised, always been proud of the old town, with the Jenny Lind being my personal favourite drinking spot. Some cracking restaurants too like Webbes, Whites, The Two Bulls Steakhouse, plus too many to mention...
There are some gems spread around the town though, especially in St Leonards close to Warrior Square Station, here you have an interesting mix of arty, down from London, creative types opening all sorts of coffee shops, art galleries and antique shops, right next to betting shops and off licenses frequented by street drinkers and wasters! :rolleyes:

I've lived in the Maze Hill area for the past 4 years and love it here.

Oh and Rye's nice enough, if you want to be tucked up in bed by 7 seeing as it's dead after 5 :wink:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This.

Hastings born and raised, always been proud of the old town, with the Jenny Lind being my personal favourite drinking spot. Some cracking restaurants too like Webbes, Whites, The Two Bulls Steakhouse, plus too many to mention...
There are some gems spread around the town though, especially in St Leonards close to Warrior Square Station, here you have an interesting mix of arty, down from London, creative types opening all sorts of coffee shops, art galleries and antique shops, right next to betting shops and off licenses frequented by street drinkers and wasters! :rolleyes:

Oh and Rye's nice enough, if you want to be tucked up in bed by 7 seeing as it's dead after 5 :wink:

My grandparents used to tell me stories of well to do people who used to frequent St Leonard's in its heyday.
The artdeco types, and now full of dss dossers :(

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We loved it when we visited in January. Went again on a hot day and it was hideous. Or at least the people were! :-o

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I mis-spent my youth in Hastings - used to go to the FE college in Archery Road and had some fantastic times there.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I mis-spent my youth in Hastings - used to go to the FE college in Archery Road and had some fantastic times there.

Same here Surfs, I've got fond memories of that college and of Hastings. There used to be an amusement place on the seafront called 'Out of this world'. Would always bug my parents to take me there. Paid entry but then everything inside was free. Great times.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Didn't the cross channel hovercraft used to beach at Hastings?

attachment.php

I clearly remember that picture on Hastings postcards but I think I am old enough to remember if a hovercraft went off the beach and across the channel and I don't.
It wouldn't anyway all those pebbles and no terminal etc so it must have been just a one off thing.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Same here Surfs, I've got fond memories of that college and of Hastings. There used to be an amusement place on the seafront called 'Out of this world'. Would always bug my parents to take me there. Paid entry but then everything inside was free. Great times.

Ever go to Mr Cherrys for a swift lunchtime break drink between lessons?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Popped down to Hastings last Sunday, gorgeous weather as we left Tun Wells on the train, cold sea fog by the time we arrived - and for the next 90 mins. But that meant a wander around the Old Town shops, which is always a good thing and lunch at the Porter. Finished up on the pier enjoying a couple of DJs and having a relaxing drink. Good day. To top it all the lady got a full load of seagull sh*t on her head in the town centre, apparently it's lucky where she comes from.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The new pier looked impressive in the photos I saw.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I had no idea Hastings had such a lovely area as the old town part. Walked around there today: the High Street, All Saints Street, Tackleway, the quaint twittens running between those two, Croft Rd, Hill St, West Hill. The Old Town is certainly the most attractive urban area in Sussex in my opinion with interesting shops, cafes and pubs in the High Street. I was amazed. The rest of Hastings though is nothing to write home about.

Can you recommend a good pub / restaurant for lunch / dinner? Me and the Mrs are there on Friday before going off to Herstmonceux for an owl flying experience.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This.

Thanks for your support! When I went through all the parts of the town worthy of note, and there are many, I completely forgot the Maze Hill area, which is charming. I have never regretted moving here, as there is so much going on, and on another post, Quinney has quite rightly reminded us of next week's Old Town events. Mid October will see the 950th anniversary of THAT battle, so again, there will be much to admire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here