Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football rivalries

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Be careful what you wish for :)

When I went to junior school in the 70s, most of the lads in my class supported Liverpool, and I went to school in the middle of Brighton.
I know Liverpool were very successful back then but I don't remember anyone supporting a London team.
In Seaford in the 70's at school, we had arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham fans that I remember. Quite a number of plastic man u, but by far the greatest number were Liverpool.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In Seaford in the 70's at school, we had arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham fans that I remember. Quite a number of plastic man u, but by far the greatest number were Liverpool.

I lived in Seaford in the late 90s and Arsenal seemed popular especially in the Crown pub, there was also plenty of ' pub TV ' Liverpool fans.
I took my 18year old son to Withdean to his first match when he was 3, he's supported the Albion ever since, but when he was at junior school near Lewes, lots of his class mates liked Arsenal. He was often the only kid wearing an Albion shirt at football training in Seaford and later in Lewes.
Different story now since we have had the Amex, I see Albion shirts at my youngest lads football training.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think the brilliant thing about football rivalries is that it really doesn't matter what league you're in or how successful your club is, a proper rivalry adds to what it means to support your team. And I reckon that a lot of the lower league rivalries are as bitter if not more so than a lot of the ones that the biggest clubs have.

Off the top of my head some of the tastiest are Port Vale v Stoke, Hull v Grimsby, Reading v Aldershot (I've got a Reading supporting mate who can attest to that), Oxford v Swindon is a proper horrible one. Chester v Wrexham is another that others have mentioned and is as bad as it gets. Burnley v Blackburn, Preston v Blackpool, West Brom v Wolves, Derby v Forest are nasty affairs too. There's no doubting our rivalry with Palace is a real one even though we're some distance apart but it's really no further than Norwich and Ipswich so I never quite understand why people think the Brighton/Palace is unusual.

The Luton v Millwall match last night saw two sets of fans that hate each other and are not afraid to let each other know it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Boca v River (been there - they're mental)
The Strongest v Bolivar (football at that height takes commitment, especially in a derby with crazy fans behind you)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Newcastle vs Sunderland ticks so many boxes:

1. Loud.
2. No other rivalries to dilute the focus.
3. Matches are so often significant, particularly with regard to condemning / avoiding relegation.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think the brilliant thing about football rivalries is that it really doesn't matter what league you're in or how successful your club is, a proper rivalry adds to what it means to support your team. And I reckon that a lot of the lower league rivalries are as bitter if not more so than a lot of the ones that the biggest clubs have.

Off the top of my head some of the tastiest are Port Vale v Stoke, Hull v Grimsby, Reading v Aldershot (I've got a Reading supporting mate who can attest to that), Oxford v Swindon is a proper horrible one. Chester v Wrexham is another that others have mentioned and is as bad as it gets. Burnley v Blackburn, Preston v Blackpool, West Brom v Wolves, Derby v Forest are nasty affairs too. There's no doubting our rivalry with Palace is a real one even though we're some distance apart but it's really no further than Norwich and Ipswich so I never quite understand why people think the Brighton/Palace is unusual.

The Luton v Millwall match last night saw two sets of fans that hate each other and are not afraid to let each other know it.
I went to the reading v aldershot cup game at Elm Park in 1990 and the league game in 88....nothing special what's so ever and the cup attendance was just over 2k and the league game was nearly 7k.

It's a nothing rivalry

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I went to the reading v aldershot cup game at Elm Park in 1990 and the league game in 88....nothing special what's so ever and the cup attendance was just over 2k and the league game was nearly 7k.

It's a nothing rivalry

A couple of things. Brighton played Palace at the Goldstone in 87 and there were only 10,000 there and the return fixture was the same and a Zenith Data match in 91 was even smaller so a 7000 attendance for a league game a division lower was about par for the course back then even with rivals. And I've got a very good mate who's a proper old school Reading fan and has been since the 70s and he and all his mates still talk of Aldershot as their main rivals over all others. There's an Aldershot fan who posts on here who can probably put us both straight on this though. Calling [MENTION=27288]atfc village[/MENTION]

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
A couple of things. Brighton played Palace at the Goldstone in 87 and there were only 10,000 there and the return fixture was the same and a Zenith Data match in 91 was even smaller so a 7000 attendance for a league game a division lower was about par for the course back then even with rivals. And I've got a very good mate who's a proper old school Reading fan and has been since the 70s and he and all his mates still talk of Aldershot as their main rivals over all others. There's an Aldershot fan who posts on here who can probably put us both straight on this though. Calling [MENTION=27288]atfc village[/MENTION]

I think in those days, as opposed to now, the reported official crowd number was often far lower than the actual attendance.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The North Stand was closed for that fixture while the new roof was being built.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
In England it is West Ham v Millwall.... nothing else really approaches the real Old school heavies that turn out for this fixture.....

Swansea Cardiff in Wales... and Old Firm north if the border.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

True us in the older generation Aldershot and Reading really despise each other . The last we met them in 01 in a friendly there was lots of trouble away from the ground. In the ground Reading fans were subjected to 90 minutes of missiles thrown at them. In The Ryman Lge days Reading turned up at Wokingham 2 seasons running 95 and 96 and confronted Aldershot fans. On the other foot Reading Station and Pubs around it have seen Shots fans call it on stopping off on the way back from Worcester and Oxford . We still long for the days of getting our real rivals back,sadly they are so far ahead of us. We dream of going to the Plac Stad in a Cup game ,instead we have to put up with a made up press derby v Woking:rolleyes:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bristol Derby for me. Got to know a few Rovers fans through England trips and i wouldn't want to get involved with em

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In terms of bragging rights over your workmates and neighbours in probably the most footie mad city in the country, then it has to be Everton v Liverpool.

No, that is the LEAST fiesty rivalry, with in most of the history no segregation. Gillingham vs Millwall was quite nasty recently...

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I lived in Seaford in the late 90s and Arsenal seemed popular especially in the Crown pub, there was also plenty of ' pub TV ' Liverpool fans.
I took my 18year old son to Withdean to his first match when he was 3, he's supported the Albion ever since, but when he was at junior school near Lewes, lots of his class mates liked Arsenal. He was often the only kid wearing an Albion shirt at football training in Seaford and later in Lewes.
Different story now since we have had the Amex, I see Albion shirts at my youngest lads football training.

I lived in Seaford 85-89 and even back then Arsenal where by far and away the most popular team in the town,it was a real pisser when they knocked us out of the FA Cup in 87

Newhaven in the 70's you were either Liverpool or Man Utd,London clubs rarely got a look in (a few lads used to go and watch Man Utd, only in London)

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Boca v River (been there - they're mental)
The Strongest v Bolivar (football at that height takes commitment, especially in a derby with crazy fans behind you)

football got suspended recently in Uruguay after a fan was shot and killed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here