Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £2m bid rejected by Sunderland for Paddy McNair

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps the club are having reservations about Schelotto and looking for a replacementy for Bruno.
Balogun played as rightback for Nigeria a few days ago.

We won't be looking for yet another one.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Blimey I have no idea how I got that so wrong, my apologies to all Inc BG for being a fook up.
I guess I should have gone to bed 5 minutes earlier, instead of trawling around for one last piece of gossip.

No dramas - I had to read it twice :)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Naylor writing about him today following Michael O'Neill's comments about him being Premier League class. Must admit I thought all along he was just a centre back, didn't realise he had impressed so much as converted centre mid. The new Rohan Ince!

His adaptability, ability, premier league experience and relatively modest fee Sunderland are going to ask for him as well as their desire to get him off the wage bill now they're in Division 3 says to me this has a very good chance of happening. The mood music around it certainly suggests so.

From what I've read on Twitter, the Sunderland fans actually do seem to rate him and they don't usually like their players so that can only be a good thing!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Naylor writing about him today following Michael O'Neill's comments about him being Premier League class. Must admit I thought all along he was just a centre back, didn't realise he had impressed so much as converted centre mid. The new Rohan Ince!

His adaptability, ability, premier league experience and relatively modest fee Sunderland are going to ask for him as well as their desire to get him off the wage bill now they're in Division 3 says to me this has a very good chance of happening. The mood music around it certainly suggests so.

From what I've read on Twitter, the Sunderland fans actually do seem to rate him and they don't usually like their players so that can only be a good thing!

Found it an odd piece from Naylor insomuch as he is not one to write about a target unless we are very close, lets hope it's true.

Great we're doing business so early very unlike us!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Maybe the Albion didn't do itself justice by making what perhaps might generally be considered as a 'cheeky bid'

I fully understand that the guy has been unfortunate with injuries over the past two years ( although PS and the team have obviously taken that into account in even making an approach and offer).

But he has nonetheless apparently been impressive as his sign off from SAFC was something like four out of five which as a MF has to be pretty good.

Also he has the pedigree of ManU and just because they didn't see him through means nothing as they rarely bring through their Academy products !

I seriously hope that we can get a deal for Paddy over the line !

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
One of my technicians at work is a Mackem and he speaks really highly of McNair. Says he was head and shoulders their best player last season even though he only played a handful of games. I'm not sure that's much an indicator given Sunderland's demise but I'm now a bit more optimistic! I'm told he's a livewire covers the ground well, he's got an eye for a pass, good in the tackle and gets in the box. Our recruitment team have a good eye for players that fit our system and ethos so I'm happy to trust their judgement, He could be another bargain

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Found it an odd piece from Naylor insomuch as he is not one to write about a target unless we are very close, lets hope it's true.

That’s what I thought and assumed it is quite close.

On paper it seems like a clever, sensible signing. Obviously not catching the imagination of NSC though as you’d expect a lot more posts than this thread has discussing a player that we look close to signing.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

Well I think that with our set up and investment we have as good a chance as many of staying up next season which should make us as attractive.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Yes, I agree. Naylor has publically stated previously that he does not speculate the rumour mill; so unless he has altered his journalistic moral compass, it does seem as if a deal could be close.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This one seems closer than the Goldson / Moore / Baldock situation.

Perhaps closer than we think.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
He doesn't seem to play a lot. If we can keep him fit I think he'd be a great bargain find, but if he's only going to be available for a third of the season maybe not. Guessing he's a replacement for Hune?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He doesn't seem to play a lot. If we can keep him fit I think he'd be a great bargain find, but if he's only going to be available for a third of the season maybe not. Guessing he's a replacement for Hune?
Balogun and McNair would be replacements for Rosenior and Hueneneier - not sure exactly which replaces which as such.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Being linked with Derby, Stoke and Norwich now.

Are we actually after him, in reality ? ???

Something doesn't seem right here, the club are normally so secretive yet not for this one.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He is versatile so makes perfect sense. He can play at CB, RB and Defensive Midfield and looks more comfortable defending than Schelotto. He will probably be second choice to Bruno.

https://youtu.be/YJ9NCy2KIz4

Makes sense signing a midfielder that can drop back in defence allowing Dunk or Duffy to take the ball out of defence if need be. The downside is his proneness to injuries. Dale Stephens or Propper could push forward more, although Propper seems to like the ball in front of him.

Keepers 3
Full Backs 4 (2 left footers)
Central Defenders 4
Wingers 4 (Wingers 3 Wing-backs 1)
Midfield 6 (incl 2 attacking &/or box2box midfielders &/or utility players)
Strikers 4

= 25

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He is versatile so makes perfect sense. He can play at CB, RB and Defensive Midfield and looks more comfortable defending than Schelotto. He will probably be second choice to Bruno.

https://youtu.be/YJ9NCy2KIz4

That's a sweeping statement, Schelotto, although not at his best defensively, did a great job in several Albion home games last season, indeed he kept Bruno out of the team for quite a while. If he ups the defensive part of his game, l can still see him becoming our long term right back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here