Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last Night of the Proms

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm

I am sure there is plenty of corruption in the EU, but if you think all is sweetness and light in the UK, you'll be sadly mistaken. I love Private Eye for the humour - but the best part (albeit truly shocking at times) is their reporting of the horrendous corruption going on in various British corridors of power. Hopefully you didn't vote Leave to rid yourself of corruption....

Keir Starmer made exactly that point in the Commons.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sure, the privileged Cambridge educated elite..........in the past they bestowed us with Kim Philby and the Cambridge 5.

Nothing has changed.

The extreme Left have caused more deaths than any other political following. Khmer Rouge, Slobodan Milošević, Stalin, Hitler, radovan karadzic. Count up those bodies and murders. Millions. Corbyn has been noted as supporting said regimes.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Nobody was forced to take the flags. They flew alongside German, French and British flags. Anyone who actually attended Proms concerts or watched the coverage on BBC of the concerts, not just the last night will know there have been pro-EU protests all last season and throughout this season. From the basic flag waving that's upsetting some die-hard Brexiteers to whole orchestras breaking into Joy to Ode, protest speeches made by conductors, and presenters giving brilliant speeches on how the spirit of the Proms is embodied in the EU.
We may have just lost the vote but Brexiteers are genuinely shocked that Remainers aren't going away, a nation is speaking up and speaking out. Get used to it, we ain't goin' anywhere.

Don't think there shocked more likely pissed off that you do not accept the result in a democratic vote.

In 14 months or so i'm expecting 2500 or so WBA supporters outside the Amex demonstrating there loss on Saturday.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
From The Independent....

"Brexiteers have hit out at a campaign group handing out 10,000 pro-EU flags to audience members at the BBC’s Last Night of the Proms show. Activists were due to give out the banners outside the Royal Albert Hall, in west London, on Saturday night while wearing T-shirts emblazoned with the slogan “thank EU for the music EU”.

10,000 pro EU flags? Crikey talk about massively over exaggerating their own importance.
Must have been a bit of a pain having to pack up and go home with all that unshifted stock.
I do hope they opt for the recycling option instead of landfill when they realise they are holding onto dead weight.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Sorry mate - we're still in a democracy (just), so we can wave our EU flags. The more the Leavers hate it, the more Remainers enjoy it!

Cool Story.
So remainers were waving EU flags to wind others up.
Must admit i was wondering what the thought process was that makes someone attending a patriotic predominantly British flag waving sing-a-long event choose to wave a EU flag whilst belting out Rule Britannia ,I suspected the reasoning was childish, now I know.
Thanks for the conformation, good to know their mindset. Takes alls sorts of reasons to have a fun night out I suppose.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
sorry duplicate post.

when-someone-double-posts-something-upvote-one-and-down-vote-19415772.png

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don't think there shocked more likely pissed off that you do not accept the result in a democratic vote.

In 14 months or so i'm expecting 2500 or so WBA supporters outside the Amex demonstrating there loss on Saturday.

I don't accept the vote as democratic.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
At a guess Joy to Ode must be the EU anthem for EU lovers that don’t know what the real EU anthem is called and are generally a bit clueless and who cant use predictive text as am excuse for their ignorance.

Christ. I can just imagine you frothing at the mouth watching your beloved British tradition being mildly marred by a few EU flags,you must have literally been overjoyed to have such delights to get in a tizzy over and the icing on the cake when one of the posters that annoys you so much on here gets something wrong! Oh heavens! This'll keep you going for months.
Anyway, we're not supposed to have more than one person at a time pointing out mistakes anymore, Buzzer gets all upset. Although I'm a leftie so he'll turn a blind eye.

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Who's loss? The loss there. It was not the WBA loss. It couldn't be their loss because it was the loss there.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyway, the Proms are great. I've been to several concerts over the years both at RAH and Cadogan Hall. Stepping into the concert hall at the RA is one of life's breathtaking experiences. Indescribable. The Proms are so much more than one last night.
Long may our Brothers and Sisters from across the channel come fly their flags, thrill with their talent and embrace this truly international festival of music and unity.

IMG_2706.JPG

Pianist and conductor Daniel Barenboim gave an impassioned speech at the BBC Proms, calling for European unity and warning against the dangers of nationalism and “isolationist tendencies”.

Barenboim was directing Orchestra Staatskapelle Berlin on Sunday night at the Royal Albert Hall and ended the evening with a speech expressing his fears about the political climate across Europe.

The 74-year-old, who remains one of the most venerated classical musicians in the world and was married to British cellist Jacqueline du Pré, said his affection for the UK had made him feel moved to speak out.

“When I look at the world with so many isolationist tendencies, I get very worried,” said Barenboim. “And I know I’m not alone. I was married in this country and I lived here for many years, and I was shown so much affection whilst I lived here that this kind of gave me the impetus, if you want, to say what I would like to say.”

The issue, he said was not “the policies of this country and of that country. The main problem of today is that there is not enough education. That there is not enough education for music, we’ve known for a long time. But now there is not enough education about whom we are, what is a human being, and how he is to relate with others of the same kind.”

Barenboim, who was born in Buenos Aires in 1942 and moved with his family to Israel in 1952, chose entirely English compositions for the Proms performance, including including Elgar’s Second Symphony and the UK premiere of Sir Harrison Birtwistle’s Deep Time.

He pointed to it as an example of how music and musicians never confined themselves to national borders – that no one batted an eyelid at an Argentine-Israeli conducting a German orchestra playing English music – and that a similar spirit should be embraced across Europe.

“This is why music is so important,” he said. “And these isolationist tendencies and nationalism in its very narrow sense is something that is very dangerous and can only be fought with a real, great accent on the education of the new generation.

“The new generations, they have to understand that Greece and Germany and France and Denmark all have something in common called European culture.

“Not only the euro. Culture. This is really the most important thing. And also in this cultural community called Europe there is a place for diverse cultures, for different cultures, for a different way of looking at things. But this can be done only with education.”

He also touched on the issue of religious fundamentalism at the Proms on Sunday. “The fanaticism that exists in the world, with religious backgrounds, can also only be fought with education,” he said, addressing the crowd directly. “Religious fanaticism cannot be fought with arms alone. The real evils of the world can only be fought with a humanism that keeps us all together. Including you.”

Kind of puts the Brexiteers' moaning about a few flags into perspective, wouldn't you say!

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Interesting. The concept of willing subjugation to an undemocratic German ruled European Union tied with patriotism that celebrates National state and sovereignty comes across as a little hypocritical.

But I disagree with your assessment of an "undemocratic German Ruled European Union", which strikes me as being inflammatory.

And if we had taken the EU seriously for the last 20 or 30 years instead of listening to the idiotic ravings of Farage, who is usually wrong about most things, we would have been far more prominent anyway.

About 15 years ago during the run up to a General Election Farage was on Question Time. I was sitting at home with my daughter, who was revising for her finals in European Studies at Cardiff University, so she was studying and revising all the European Institutions. The number of times he stated a "fact" that Ellie responded to with a "that's not true" or "oh no it isn't" was unbelievable. I have no reason to believe he is any less ignorant now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here