Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Careful if taking photos of public buildings in Sussex

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh FFS! Does it really matter.
Yes it does! A policeman is authorised to ask you to identify yourself, and to enquire what you're up to. If you refuse he/she is quite within their rights to take you in for further questioning. If anybody else comes up to you and asks your name and address, and the nature of what you're doing you are perfectly entitled to tell them to **** off. They may then beat you up, of course, but that is illegal..............

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Y A policeman is authorised to ask you to identify yourself, and to enquire what you're up to.

No, they aren't. There is no statutory provision requiring you to provide a police officer your details unless they suspect you have committed an offence.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
So a man looking suspicious (as police staff still have a relatively decent idea of what looks suspicious and what doesn't) taking some photos of building during height of terrorism concern and then refuses to engage isn't something we want police dealing with? Blimey.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, they aren't. There is no statutory provision requiring you to provide a police officer your details unless they suspect you have committed an offence.
OK, he says he suspects you're up to something. Job done, and you'd be asking for trouble if you told him to **** off.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
OK, he says he suspects you're up to something. Job done, and you'd be asking for trouble if you told him to **** off.

He'd have to say what he suspects you of and why. He can't just say "I'm a policeman and I think you're up to no good, tell me your name".
There are rules and the police, like the rest of us, have to play by them.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
So, you think it is just fine when a '2 bob journo' can't go about his business without being harassed. How about the next stage down the line when you discover that you've got no right to move around innocently without heavy-handed police intervention? Because that's what's going to happen if this sort of thing goes unchallenged.

How much IS a Daily Mail subscription out of curiosity?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
So, you think it is just fine when a '2 bob journo' can't go about his business without being harassed. How about the next stage down the line when you discover that you've got no right to move around innocently without heavy-handed police intervention? Because that's what's going to happen if this sort of thing goes unchallenged.

Heavy handed? Blimey, you reckon this was heavy handed? Ate you serious? Go live in North Korea. If you aren't prepared to assist the police then you don't deserve to live here. Some of us are pleased to be offered a level of protection against potential threats.

Heavy handed? Blimey, you reckon this was heavy handed? Ate you serious? Go live in North Korea. If you aren't prepared to assist the police then you don't deserve to live here. Some of us are pleased to be offered a level of protection against potential threats.

All that I ask is that the police comply with ACPO guidelines on how to deal with photographers in public places. On this occasion, they didn't. As the Chief Constable of Warwickshire says, this brings the police into disrepute and threatens the good relationship that should exist between the police and the public.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Anyone wanting to blow up Hove Town Hall should be aided - what an eye sore. Hope the players don't end up there again with masking tape sticking cheap flags onto the concrete balcony. A more depressing backdrop for a promotion parade is hard to imagine. Unless we go to the disused Cement Works. Or Crawley.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's the sort of heavy handed approach I used to see in London but appears to have gone. Thousands of tourists taking pictures and the police decide to target one.

It's as embarrassing as the sniffer dogs at stations searching for drugs where there appears to be a loop hole. Gone away but many times I've had a dog set on me when I'm on the way to work. Just to be clear nothing to do with terrorism.

Jesus - haven't these Police realised that you could just Google the building and check out the entrances on Google maps ?

Used to be the case in London 10 years ago based on some intelligence I'd imagine but the world has moved on and a terrorist isn't going to stand in broad daylight with a camera.

Dixon of Dock Green.

Thankfully most police aren't like that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes it does! A policeman is authorised to ask you to identify yourself, and to enquire what you're up to. If you refuse he/she is quite within their rights to take you in for further questioning. If anybody else comes up to you and asks your name and address, and the nature of what you're doing you are perfectly entitled to tell them to **** off. They may then beat you up, of course, but that is illegal..............

No they aren't.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seems most people have taken the common sense approach, ie tell the Police who you are and what you are doing. Like it or not, there is a terrorist risk so. A bunch of photographers just trying to prove they are above everything else is a joke.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The police and security services in the country are our front line against the very real threat of terrorism we face daily and if some 2 bob jurno gets his nose put out of joint so they can do that, I couldnt give a shit.

I totally respect the need for agencies to collect the kind of intelligence which protects us but if we effectively give anyone loosely connected to an agency the green light to compromise basic freedoms without any need for justification we are basically doing the terrorist's work for them as the erosion of these freedoms is one of the main reasons for their actions. Not always an easy balance to get right but just look at Turkey to see where it can lead.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Any idea what's replacing this? Please not anothe 7 storeys of luxury apartments.

No higher than the spire.

No development approved to date but looks like housing and commercial units.

http://www.juicebrighton.com/news/brighton-news/civic-centre-redevelopment-plans-move-forward/

Demolition teams have moved onto the Adur Civic Centre as the local authority look to find a new development for the Ham Road site.

Staff at the red-bricked building described as the "municipal heartbeat" of the area moved into the revamped Shoreham Centre in 2013.

Since then, Adur District Council has considered a number of options for the site.

A preferred developer was identified in 2015 to create a high-quality mixed use proposal but this deal didn't proceed.

Over the past few weeks a large section of the building has already been dismantled with the demolish work being funded by the Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).

Adur District Council leader Neil Parkin said:

"I'm delighted to see the progress being made to dismantle this landmark building.

"This is a triple win situation for us. We are not paying for the demolition, which takes the risk out of it; and once it's gone we will save more than £100,000 a year in business rates.

"But it also means we are able to move forward in redeveloping the wider site as part of our exciting plans to regenerate this part of the town centre.

"It is yet another example of how we can offer a platform for developers to create a high-quality scheme which will benefit the taxpayer and the wider area."

During the demolition phase, the council's internal experts will be working out the next steps in how to maximise the potential of the key site. Any development is likely to include up to 150 homes and commercial space.

To make the site more attractive to investors and developers, the council decided to push ahead with the demolition which is due to be completed in the autumn this year.

Across the road from the Civic Centre, plans to create a £10 million office development on the Ham Road car park are moving forward.

A planning application is expected later in the year. The current pay and display facility will remain until work starts on site.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here