Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke pull your finger out

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Albion boss Sami Hyypia admitted today it's "not ideal" to have gaps still to fill in the squad, with the new season a fortnight away.

The Seagulls are expected to make several more signings before and possibly after Sheffield Wednesday's opening visit on August 9.

Hyypia, speaking following the 2-1 friendly defeat at Peterborough said: "I'm okay. The players are working hard and trying to do the right things. When it's only two weeks before the start of the season I would like the squad to be there for the season.

"That of course is one thing that's not ideal. We haven't got the whole squad together.
"

The players were allowed a World Cup style water break midway through the first half at a steamy London Road. Hyypia felt the pitch should have been watered as well.

He said: "Today the pitch made it very difficult to play football, because it was dry. I heard that Peterborough are a side that wants to play football and I would have thought they would put some water on it but they didn't. It was a bit of a surprise.

"It wasn't a waste. It was a good workout for the players. Friendly games are the best training sessions you can have."

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Not in my world it doesn't. TB is already funding the club BTW. The question is whether the purse strings are loose enough for the competitive squad we were promised by the man himself.

Exactly B.W. Tony bloom subsidised the club last year to the tune of 5m to meet the ffp regulations. The maximum amount that was allowed. So how do we loosen purse strings this year when the allowable losses are 2m less this year. The money has to be either raised in revenue or cost savings made. I'm sure we are doing both. I just don't think the money is there. We either meet ffp or we don't.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly B.W. Tony bloom subsidised the club last year to the tune of 5m to meet the ffp regulations. The maximum amount that was allowed. So how do we loosen purse strings this year when the allowable losses are 2m less this year. The money has to be either raised in revenue or cost savings made. I'm sure we are doing both. I just don't think the money is there. We either meet ffp or we don't.

Conveniently forgetting the £8M we got for Leo?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And now straight from the horses mouth:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11368738._/?

Hmmm.

Hyypia keen to plug gaps in Albion squad

I read that earlier and thought "I wonder if that BW on NSC will be stupid enough to use this piece as validation of his criticism" and you have. Amazing!

1. No one, including me, has either said or even suggested our situation is ideal.

2. Hyypia is not criticising Burke. You'll take it as such, again, because it suits your agenda.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I love the way the patient gang (Watford O et al) have chosen to ignore Sami's quotes on recruitment in the Argus. Now that is funny.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I read that earlier and thought "I wonder if that BW on NSC will be stupid enough to use this piece as validation of his criticism" and you have. Amazing!

1. No one, including me, has either said or even suggested our situation is ideal.

2. Hyypia is not criticising Burke. You'll take it as such, again, because it suits your agenda.

Actually, I didn't use it to hammer DB. No need. But it DOES show just why we should have got more players in more quickly. Just like I said. And you criticized me for saying so. Humble pie for Bozza...

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The best players that we could get are currently waiting to see if they get in the premiership 23 teams. Once they're announced we'll see movement. All this whining is a little embarrassing. The 23 man squads have been around for a couple of years now so I would have though people would have got used to the trickle down effect, and in a World Cup year that's going to be even longer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That article is summarising his Player interview. When you watch and listen to the interview in full, you can understand the quotes in context. I don't think BW wants to understand because of his agenda.
He reminds me of a bulldog, who once having got his teeth into something, just won't let go of it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I've not forgotten it. So do you think we will meet ffp this year by 5m or so?? That money only came to us last week. Give em a chance to spend it :0)

Yes, I do think we'll meet FFP. According to PB we were on track to meet FFP BEFORE we got the Leo dosh. So, yes, I expect us to spend a significant proportion (not all) of the Leo cash on squad strengthening.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I love the way the patient gang (Watford O et al) have chosen to ignore Sami's quotes on recruitment in the Argus. Now that is funny.

Nobody wants to delay the signings (we would have liked them onboard for pre-season) but if you sign your 5 players immediately the window opens at the fees/salaries demanded by the clubs/agents, then you will have no money left when the prices start dropping and loans become available. This is obviously your preferred method of recruitment.

Nobody wants to 'wait till the end of the window' FFS, it's just the way this business works. I haven't had to explain something this simply since my kids were at Junior school

You're absolutely right, Sami saying it 'it's not ideal' has certainly put me in my place :( :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Actually, I didn't use it to hammer DB. No need. But it DOES show just why we should have got more players in more quickly. Just like I said. And you criticized me for saying so. Humble pie for Bozza...

You're making it up again. Are you drunk? My criticism of you is that you are repeatedly slamming David Burke when you have little idea about what is going on. You are saying he is performing poorly at his job when you are only focusing on one small part of his work and even that one bit you have precious little information about. You have criticised his poor performance in past windows and I've highlighted some aspects of what went on there (Burke finds very good players, manager inexplicably refuses to take them on).

My personal opinion is that it is more advantageous to have a squad fully formed as early as possible. But I also completely understand why through Tony Bloom's actions (and not David Burke's) that we are not there just yet. He knows a lot more about it than me, so I'm happy to trust him, and his team, to do the best for this club looking beyond just today even if the stupid and ignorant continue to clog up NSC with their ill-informed nonsense.

And again, having been dragged back in, I'm out. Enjoy.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That article is summarising his Player interview. When you watch and listen to the interview in full, you can understand the quotes in context. I don't think BW wants to understand because of his agenda.
He reminds me of a bulldog, who once having got his teeth into something, just won't let go of it.

Wow! How insightful. You know me so well TB. I used an article that backed-up my thoughts. Quotes from our manager no less. Wouldn't you have done so? Or are you less 'dog' than me?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You're making it up again. Are you drunk? My criticism of you is that you are repeatedly slamming David Burke when you have little idea about what is going on. You are saying he is performing poorly at his job when you are only focusing on one small part of his work and even that one bit you have precious little information about. You have criticised his poor performance in past windows and I've highlighted some aspects of what went on there (Burke finds very good players, manager inexplicably refuses to take them on).

My personal opinion is that it is more advantageous to have a squad fully formed as early as possible. But I also completely understand why through Tony Bloom's actions (and not David Burke's) that we are not there just yet. He knows a lot more about it than me, so I'm happy to trust him, and his team, to do the best for this club looking beyond just today even if the stupid and ignorant continue to clog up NSC with their ill-informed nonsense.

And again, having been dragged back in, I'm out. Enjoy.

Well, I'll ask again. Not that you'll answer, again. Who is responsible for player recruitment?...

... Since you're off eating your humble pie, I'll answer for you. It's DB. The manager says he's in a less-than-ideal situation. Who is accountable? You repeatedly say Tony. I repeatedly say DB. Enjoy your pie.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
I really can't be bothered to read all of this thread but isn't it obvious that our chairman is a poker player who will hold his cards close to his chest to get the best deal.
DB has set up great marquee loan deals over the past 6 months that Oscar refused to take on.
Seems clear that DB is doing his job, the chairman will wait until the last minute for the best deal he can get for the club, and it's up to the manager to decide whether he wants to take on what's offered to him.
Not sure what the problem is. Maybe it's the chairman that's upsetting people with his waiting tactics. Can't see why DB is getting blamed.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I really can't be bothered to read all of this thread but isn't it obvious that our chairman is a poker player who will hold his cards close to his chest to get the best deal.
DB has set up great marquee loan deals over the past 6 months that Oscar refused to take on.
Seems clear that DB is doing his job, the chairman will wait until the last minute for the best deal he can get for the club, and it's up to the manager to decide whether he wants to take on what's offered to him.
Not sure what the problem is. Maybe it's the chairman that's upsetting people with his waiting tactics. Can't see why DB is getting blamed.

Tony might be a good poker player and may like a bit of brinkmanship but if the other players know your hand we are not going to get far.

We will be slightly out bid every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here