Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke pull your finger out

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm giving up. You just carry on as you are.

Thank you for allowing me to carry on as I am. So kind.

TBH I'll be more than happy if we get 3 in next week. I might even up my grade for DB from his current 'E' to a 'D' - must try harder!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The bigger question is why are you so vehemently attacking him without having any idea what actually goes on? Has he done something to you personally?

No. I just don't like what I've seen on the recruitment front in the last window, and the current one.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Let's look at a few of our supposed targets...

Stephen Ward - on £18,000 a week at Wolves with a year left on his contract. That's a £1m problem for Wolves that they want to resolve. Sure we could dive in, pay Wolves whatever they want and pay Ward whatever he wants (on a 2 or 3 year contract) but is that really the right thing to do. As the clock continues to tick, resolving this problem becomes more pressing for Wolves. Their hand weakens and ours strengthens.

Sam Baldock - Now entering the last year of his 3 year contract. He won't sign another one, so Bristol City either have to sell him now (for a reasonable sum), in January (for far less, see: Barnes, Ashley) or have him walk away for nothing next Summer. What are Bristol City likely to do? At what point does the Albion's offer become more attractive? I'd suggest as we get closer and closer to the 31st August they'll have some hard thinking to do.

David Stockdale - Also in the last year of his contract, although this is less of an issue for Fulham, awash with parachute cash, than Bristol City. But if he's not first choice, for whatever reason, and he's had enough and wants out then, again, as we move towards the end of the transfer window then Fulham have a decision to make.

This is a seriously strong posting. I wouldn't be any way surprised if all three were at the Albion come September 1st.

Another point to make is the three signings we have made in this window all look brilliant value. Extracting value from the transfer market is what will see us good in the long term not chucking money about.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Former club legend, Premier League/England midfielder and a Premier League striker.

Ooooh! Now that is interesting...

Benno / J Cole / ?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Let's look at a few of our supposed targets...

Stephen Ward - on £18,000 a week at Wolves with a year left on his contract. That's a £1m problem for Wolves that they want to resolve. Sure we could dive in, pay Wolves whatever they want and pay Ward whatever he wants (on a 2 or 3 year contract) but is that really the right thing to do. As the clock continues to tick, resolving this problem becomes more pressing for Wolves. Their hand weakens and ours strengthens.

Sam Baldock - Now entering the last year of his 3 year contract. He won't sign another one, so Bristol City either have to sell him now (for a reasonable sum), in January (for far less, see: Barnes, Ashley) or have him walk away for nothing next Summer. What are Bristol City likely to do? At what point does the Albion's offer become more attractive? I'd suggest as we get closer and closer to the 31st August they'll have some hard thinking to do.

David Stockdale - Also in the last year of his contract, although this is less of an issue for Fulham, awash with parachute cash, than Bristol City. But if he's not first choice, for whatever reason, and he's had enough and wants out then, again, as we move towards the end of the transfer window then Fulham have a decision to make.

I understand what you are getting at and it makes sense, but when do you begin to look elsewhere at targets with the season looming large. By leaving it late don't you run the possible risk of these not happening as expected and missing back up targets due to the wait, not to mention starting the season with a weakened squad?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I understand what you are getting at and it makes sense, but when do you begin to look elsewhere at targets with the season looming large. By leaving it late don't you run the possible risk of these not happening as expected and missing back up targets due to the wait, not to mention starting the season with a weakened squad?

Of course, and there will be Plans B and C etc. I don't know what they are, but you can be sure they exist.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Zamora for def

Can't be. Hasn't he just signed a new contract at QPR? Also, why would Bozza say (separately) 'Former club legend' and 'Premier League Striker'

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
having said that I do see where BW is coming from and others who see what might be perceived inaction (I might as well include myself in those too) but the way you have put it makes absolute sense and has no place on this forum:lolol:

I can see where they're coming from, but only on the basis that:
a) they haven't got the intelligence to read between the lines and understand that's it's a bigger and more complex job than any of us could possibly understand having never fulfilled such a role at a football club
b) I feel sorry for anyone who takes such a joyless and cynical stance on supporting a football club - something you're supposed to do for your own enjoyment.
c) They don't trust Tony Bloom to steer the ship as best he can, and after everything he's done and that is pretty stupid. He won't get everything right every time and nobody is immune from criticism but so many people are going way over the top with their criticsm at the moment and they really should be embarrassed of themselves.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My performance in my job is not in the public domain, is it? DB's is. I'll raise your:facepalm: with a :ffsparr:

I didn't realise his job was in the public domain. Why don't you put his job description up here, together with his objectives and performance measures and we can all join in with rating him ?

*edit* Oh Sorry, you won't put it up here, because it isn't and you can't. Thanks for the :ffsparr: but i think we are fast moving towards :tosser: territory

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If you re-read Bozza's post you'll see he's talking about players from last season, not now

Is he? All it says is: "Former club legend, Premier League/England midfielder and a Premier League striker." in response to "Interesting. Any names (fair enough if you can't say)."

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I can see where they're coming from, but only on the basis that:
a) they haven't got the intelligence to read between the lines and understand that's it's a bigger and more complex job than any of us could possibly understand having never fulfilled such a role at a football club
b) I feel sorry for anyone who takes such a joyless and cynical stance on supporting a football club - something you're supposed to do for your own enjoyment.
c) They don't trust Tony Bloom to steer the ship as best he can, and after everything he's done and that is pretty stupid. He won't get everything right every time and nobody is immune from criticism but so many people are going way over the top with their criticsm at the moment and they really should be embarrassed of themselves.

Nonsense. We're all entitled to our opinion. Nothing to do with intelligence. I very much enjoy supporting the Albion, thank you. And I'm the one backing-up Tony! You should be ashamed of being so judgemental.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't realise his job was in the public domain. Why don't you put his job description up here, together with his objectives and performance measures and we can all join in with rating him ?

*edit* Oh Sorry, you won't put it up here, because it isn't and you can't. Thanks for the :ffsparr: but i think we are fast moving towards :tosser: territory

I don't need his job description, thank you. I can clearly see what he is failing to achieve.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ooooh! Now that is interesting...

Benno / J Cole / ?

What does it matter? It's all part of DB's "Squad weakening policy" :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here