Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk for England.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Why? He's already playing against some of the best and receiving rave reviews.

The level isn't going to go up is it, playing international friendlies against some poor sides. Without any bias, he's worth taking a look at.

He is worth taking a look at.

Ady specifically asked the question on the Roar this week 'Will Dunk go to Russia?'. Andy said 'yes', I said 'no'. (Merely our opinions of course).

It's not as though I don't feel Dunk isn't good enough, my main concern is his lack of experience at this level, which so far comes out at nine matches. It's not actually that easy to do a direct compare and contrast with all of the rival defenders until at least we've played every team once. He has the quality and the potential, and he may get a call-up for the friendlies. However, it's not only about that - sometimes the whole notion of politics (with a small 'p') comes into play; Dunk is not a 'name', so would the FA let Southgate allow him to get anywhere near the squad?

I'm punting it out there to suggest he has just got to this party six months too late for the tournament.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's not the first time you've said that - and you can't back it up for this season. He used to do that once in a while. You're judging him on that from the player he was two years ago - which is not what we're talking about.

If his ball control and subsequent obligatory lunge is so bad, and something you're prepared to criticise him for, tell us about all the yellow cards in the past 20 matches. Tell us about all the times he has done it to such appalling consequence this season...

I watch and remark on it at the time but do not keep them in a file to refer to at a later date. I just know what I have seen,.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I watch and remark on it at the me but do not keep them in a file to refer to at a later date. I just know what I have seen,.

That doesn't come close to answering my questions.

Can you tell me about all the times he has lost the ball and lunged at it in the past year or so? And more pertinently, while in the Premier League? Not the occasional ricket two years ago - now. You've only got nine matches to remember for that answer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can you not read English if so re read post no 122. As part of my age I have difficulty in remembering what happened yesterday but could tell you what happened in 1960 quite vividly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can you not read English if so re read post no 122. As part of my age I have difficulty in remembering what happened yesterday but could tell you what happened in 1960 quite vividly.

I'm sorry that your mind has gone down that route. It's not uncommon and I wish you well. However, it does locate the reasoning behind your opinion somewhere between... 'worthless' and 'Jupiter'.

To clarify - you can remember Lewis Dunk losing the ball and lunging in, but you can't remember him not doing it?

Thank you, that's cleared that up.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He is worth taking a look at.

Ady specifically asked the question on the Roar this week 'Will Dunk go to Russia?'. Andy said 'yes', I said 'no'. (Merely our opinions of course).

It's not as though I don't feel Dunk isn't good enough, my main concern is his lack of experience at this level, which so far comes out at nine matches. It's not actually that easy to do a direct compare and contrast with all of the rival defenders until at least we've played every team once. He has the quality and the potential, and he may get a call-up for the friendlies. However, it's not only about that - sometimes the whole notion of politics (with a small 'p') comes into play; Dunk is not a 'name', so would the FA let Southgate allow him to get anywhere near the squad?

I'm punting it out there to suggest he has just got to this party six months too late for the tournament.

My view remains that he will play for England. I just don't think he will be with us when it happens. Happy to be wrong.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I'm sorry you have memory issues but surely you must realise that most of what you post is based on recent events therefore unfortunately you may be wrong.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thats a fair summing up by someone who watches the game through blue and white blinkers as most of what you say is wrong and highlights his weaknesses and has never been picked up by pundits. as a strength or a plus point.

Are you serious ? Have you seen how his close control has improved ? Have you seen any of his forward runs this season or last ?

What’s his disciplinary record like in recent games ?

Edit....have you heard Jamie Carragher talking about him ? JC is a decent judge of a CB I reckon.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You haven't seen it recently.
It hasn't happened
This. TLO hits the nail on the head when talking about recent, Premier league form. He's been imperious, almost faultless. There isn't much wrong with what BG says except to say that he is indeed referring to the Lewis Dunk of 2 years ago.

He's one of the top 2 or 3 in the country right now. And Keane is dreadful at the moment and should be nowhere near the England squad.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Personally I think for Dunk to potentially have his England debut playing either Brazil or Germany Is not a good idea. It is most likely that as a team England will look very ordinary against that class of opposition and it is less likely that Dunk will come out of these games with glowing reviews. He would be much better having his debut against not a top international team to help build his confidence. It's unfair to expect Dunk however good a defender he is , with less than a dozen games at PL level to immediately slot in and play well against that level of opposition.

Just my view

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you serious ? Have you seen how his close control has improved ? Have you seen any of his forward runs this season or last ?

What’s his disciplinary record like in recent games ?

Edit....have you heard Jamie Carragher talking about him ? JC is a decent judge of a CB I reckon.
Gotta feel sorry for Lewis, on Sunday.

Every attempt at close control is going to be so scrutinised, filmed, and noted.
Instead of a cheer and applause all he will hear (hopefully) is gleeful chuckling.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Personally I think for Dunk to potentially have his England debut playing either Brazil or Germany Is not a good idea. It is most likely that as a team England will look very ordinary against that class of opposition and it is less likely that Dunk will come out of these games with glowing reviews. He would be much better having his debut against not a top international team to help build his confidence. It's unfair to expect Dunk however good a defender he is , with less than a dozen games at PL level to immediately slot in and play well against that level of opposition.

Just my view

I think Southgate might call him up to have a closer look at him in training and to see how well he interacts with the squad, then put him on the bench.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whilst not having any physical or mental problems I do find that I have trouble remembering more recent events than 30 + years ago which I put down to age. In my younger days I could quite easily quote examples to support an argument but if it is about recent events I find that more difficult. Hence I am unable to recall recent events when Lewis has lost control of the ball and had to lunge to retrieve it but I certainly wouldnt put close control down as one of his strong points in the way you would do John Stones or Rio Ferdinand and Mark Lawrenson in the past. or going back further Beckenbaur or Moore I am sure that he will rightly be called into the squad for the up coming friendlies so that Southgate can have a look at him in training and possibly for part or all of a match.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whilst not having any physical or mental problems I do find that I have trouble remembering more recent events than 30 + years ago which I put down to age. In my younger days I could quite easily quote examples to support an argument but if it is about recent events I find that more difficult. Hence I am unable to recall recent events when Lewis has lost control of the ball and had to lunge to retrieve it but I certainly wouldnt put close control down as one of his strong points in the way you would do John Stones or Rio Ferdinand in the past. or going back further Beckenbaur or Moore I am sure that he will rightly be called into the squad for the up coming friendlies so that Southgate can have a look at him in training and possibly for part or all of a match.

I honestly cannot recall that happening - bad control, and a lunge - to Lewis more than once this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here