Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Scone - Pronounciation

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yes, and absolutely, definitely not. Only the Pikeys from the wrong side of the Tamar haven’t worked out that the cream (which must be clotted) replaces the need for butter, so goes on before the jam.

Precisely this. The cream is a butter substitute. Would you put butter on top of the jam? The idea is that the cream provides a barrier between the scone (pronounced sk-own) and the jam.

jam and butter for me.

Apparently you would.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How weird.

There are three hot food discussions in our household at the moment:

* gone/cone - we all agree that is gone. Cone is WRONG, and that's official
* Cornwall or Devon (jam or cream first). Our house is split on this one. I myself am a cream first man, but am prepared to accept the jam alternative. And as per [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s post, [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] should feel utterly ASHAMED of himself. There is clearly no place for butter in addition to jam and cream.

* the third one is whether or not milk should go in before the tea. Apparently the correct way is actually tea first, then milk according to taste. That said, for me it's always tea leaves/teapot, lazily pouring the milk whilst waiting for the tea to brew. I know it's not right but that's the way I roll.

[MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] Not ashamed at all... love it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This thread, and he cheese on toast one, has me shaking my head in disbelief. How can so many of you be wrong? Scone rhymes with gone unless you're a northerner or some sort of bumpkin.

Scone rhymes with cone - and cream teas were invented by us bumpkins in the Westcountry. Scone pronounced 'gone' is only used by middle/upper class twats having cream teas in hotels in London and the South East who have no idea of the heritage and traditions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
B*llshit. I was born in Portslade and I've always rhymed it with cone. My boss on the other hand is a very posh northerner, she says it to rhyme with gone. You are therefor wroing on both counts. I say if you rhyme it with gone then you're a posh boy and probably have a nanny or butler to spread the cream on for you. x

I grew up in Portslade (born in Shoreham) and always rhymed it with gone. Scone as cone sounds very posh, and wrong.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
B*llshit. I was born in Portslade and I've always rhymed it with cone. My boss on the other hand is a very posh northerner, she says it to rhyme with gone. You are therefor wroing on both counts. I say if you rhyme it with gone then you're a posh boy and probably have a nanny or butler to spread the cream on for you. x

Posh? Northern?!

No, no, no, nothing about this adds up at all.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I'm from Sussex and say it to rhyme with gone, my partner is a Northerner (well, Derbyshire) and says it to rhyme with cone.

Exactly the same for me, I say the 'gone' pronounciation, my partner, who's from Yorkshire, says 'cone'. Think its a misconception that it's a northern/southern thing.

I don't really care about the method, but I guess jam then cream seems to make more sense.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To those saying it's 'gone' how do you pronounce Stone ???

Jam and then cream on a cone !

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Mary Berry says scone like gone so who am I to argue?

I'll see your Mary Berry, and raise you the two bakers who made Charles and Diana's Wedding cake, and Prince Andrews and Fergies,(Dave Avery, and Trevor Spicer,respectively, for those interested) and they both rhymed it with cone.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'Scones - gone? Dear, dear sconney'

It has to rhyme with gone or the classic Spitting Image sketch is all for naught.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly the same for me, I say the 'gone' pronounciation, my partner, who's from Yorkshire, says 'cone'. Think its a misconception that it's a northern/southern thing.

I don't really care about the method, but I guess jam then cream seems to make more sense.

My husband is from Yorkshire and says scone as in gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here