Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "One of the brightest young managers in the Premier League"

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Aside from Palace, Bournemouth is the only club in the Premier League I really dislike.

I still can't shred the memory of working with two of the most obnoxious, disingenuous fans I've ever met. Both Bournemouth fans, Both very chippy and both glory hunters, having joined the Bournemouth party around 2012. They were fixated with being better than the Albion, which in itself seemed bizarre considering the distance between the two clubs.

It's a club full of contradictions; a friendly, family club, which in truth is a club packed with cocky tosspots

A passionate, gutsy little club, run on a shoestring, when in fact it made a near £90m turnover alone in its first Premier League season.

Mr Nice Guy Eddie Howe.

So there you have it. I've never once had an issue with fans from Millwall, Leeds, Chelsea, Wednesday, Newcastle, West Ham, even Palace (!)...but soon as you mention bloody Bournemouth.....

"We'll fight them on the beaches..."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I still laugh at how when he was rumoured to be going to Burnley he stood in front of the media and said he was tempted but decided to stay and was gushing about Bournemouth, then about 3 days later he left for Burnley. How could you ever trust him again?

One of my favourite games in 2012, was Burnley away, beating them 3-1. Greer had to help them out by scoring an own goal.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
On my birthday... so, I share a birthday with Jacques Chirac, Dame Shirley Porter and Eddie Howe. Can't decide which is the worst

That's unfortunate.

I share mine with Maradona, The Fonz and Ashley Barnes. I can't decide which is the best.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Very harsh thread this on Eddie Howe.

The guy has worked some miracles keeping us from going out of the league all together in his first stint as manager. Then he led us to league two promotion against the odds with a threadbare squad.

Since the money has come into the club then he has managed to keep a decent amount of the league one players and kept faith with them and improved them (Arter, Daniels, Cook, Francis, Pugh, Fraser) taking us up from the championship to the premier league.

The majority of the overspend on breaking financial fair play was on the Wages as the only transfer fee that was paid on our promotion season was for Callum Wilson who we signed after selling Grabban to Norwich.

Howe has managed to keep Bouremouth in the premier league for two seasons and the first season with a injury ravaged squad where we were almost guranteed to go down.

The managers listed above only Dyche has stayed in the job for a decent amount of time to judge in my opinion against Eddie's achievements. I would say that Dyche and Eddie have both done fantastic jobs to maintain so called small clubs premier league status over a couple of seasons.

Wagner, Clement and Pellegrino have proved nothing of yet at this level as they haven't managed for long enough.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The guy has worked some miracles keeping us from going out of the league all together in his first stint as manager. Then he led us to league two promotion against the odds with a threadbare squad.

Since the money has come into the club then he has managed to keep a decent amount of the league one players and kept faith with them and improved them (Arter, Daniels, Cook, Francis, Pugh, Fraser) taking us up from the championship to the premier league.

The majority of the overspend on breaking financial fair play was on the Wages as the only transfer fee that was paid on our promotion season was for Callum Wilson who we signed after selling Grabban to Norwich.

Howe has managed to keep Bouremouth in the premier league for two seasons and the first season with a injury ravaged squad where we were almost guranteed to go down.

The managers listed above only Dyche has stayed in the job for a decent amount of time to judge in my opinion against Eddie's achievements. I would say that Dyche and Eddie have both done fantastic jobs to maintain so called small clubs premier league status over a couple of seasons.

Wagner, Clement and Pellegrino have proved nothing of yet at this level as they haven't managed for long enough.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm only lacking "underdogs" on my Bournemouth cliche bingo card in this post.

(A Bournemouth fan is never going to use plucky to describe themselves)

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

Sorry, and?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Wouldn't you admit that part of the reason he kept faith with his League One players is because his bigger-money signings proved to be, er, not very good?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I don't know anyone else, but I'm only lacking "underdogs" on my Bournemouth cliche bingo card in this post.

(A Bournemouth fan is never going to use plucky to describe themselves)

I missed out by a whisker (just missing 'Shoestring'). Gutted

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Oh it was my understanding that because of some admittedly dreadful personal things, you weren't allowed to mention that Arter is a filthy twunt who doesn't think twice about putting disgusting challenges that could end up in a career threatening injury.

Ah sorry, you're right. Perhaps referees should have been informed of it so they could go easy on him. Or maybe they were.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

Agreed, this is very harsh on Eddie Howe. You've got to remember that given the opportunity a large proportion of people talk complete b0ll0x...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Actually, given that it's between just him and Marco Silva I will happily concede that:

"Howe is one of the brightest young managers in the league"

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Agreed, this is very harsh on Eddie Howe. You've got to remember that given the opportunity a large proportion of people talk complete b0ll0x...

Oh well. If the Cherries fan wanted an Eddie love-in, there are places he can go, instead of here.

And Eddie has been successful. Bournemouth's rise through the leagues is a undeniable fact.

But...

1. The shoe-string myth...is just that. Their success through the leagues was very much in keeping with their budgets relative to their peers. And they cheated to get the PL promotion, breaking the financial competition rules that they signed up to.

2. The nice Eddie myth.. is just that. He is as cynical as they come, haranguing officials with the best of them, and encouraging his teams to engage in every flavor of snide gamesmanship. Arter and Fraser, his chief snides.

3. The 'loyalty' myth...is just that. He walked out on 'his' club for Burnley's cash, 3 days after promising not too, and then came back and raided the 'club he loves' for their best players. That Cherries fans were so quick to forgive and forget just shows what a bunch of fickle melts they are.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Not really i think the recruitmant of new players that were meant to be a step up have pushed those players further.

You can look at it any way you wish, but keeping us in the premier league for two seasons however it was achieved is a massive achievement for a club of our size.

I'm sure Brighton would be very pleased if they had achieved what Howe has done with us in our two seasons in the top flight.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
As ever I think the media are working the next big thing/knock him down angle a little. It's true that Bournemouth (and thus Eddie) are under performing but it was also the media who linked him with the Arsenal job last season (and even touted him as the next England manager).

The media had a bit of a love in with him, few managers are going to say "no more positive coverage please". When things go badly (as they always will at some point) the same journos then castigate him for not being as good as they made him out to be.

There's a lot of pigeonholing which goes on with managers, our manager, Dyche, made a comment about overseas managers using training techniques which were already standard and how these were seen by the media as innovative. For the next few months he had the 'hates foreigners' line tagged and to an extent he'll never lose it.

To an extent I see this with Hughton, seems some quarters have him marked out as a nice guy but not really up for it at Prem level. Seems very harsh given his record and ability as a manager.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Oh well. If the Cherries fan wanted an Eddie love-in, there are places he can go, instead of here.

And Eddie has been successful. Bournemouth's rise through the leagues is a undeniable fact.

But...

1. The shoe-string myth...is just that. Their success through the leagues was very much in keeping with their budgets relative to their peers. And they cheated to get the PL promotion, breaking the financial competition rules that they signed up to.

2. The nice Eddie myth.. is just that. He is as cynical as they come, haranguing officials with the best of them, and encouraging his teams to engage in every flavor of snide gamesmanship. Arter and Fraser, his chief snides.

3. The 'loyalty' myth...is just that. He walked out on 'his' club for Burnley's cash, 3 days after promising not too, and then came back and raided the 'club he loves' for their best players. That Cherries fans were so quick to forgive and forget just shows what a bunch of fickle melts they are.

I understand that Brighton fans have an issue with Eddie so not expecting a love in just think some of the comments are very harsh considering his record.

1. League two survival and promotion was achieved before any investment, so was done on a shoe string. The only season we overspend was the championship season to get promoted of which many clubs who are still in the championship have been punished for. I missed the bit where spending big money in the championship guranteed you promotion e.g. Derby etc

2. To achieve anything as a manager you have to be tough and relentess with wanting to win. This point is ridicoulous to even mention every manager that has had any success at the top level will have tried to win games by any means.even your beloved Chris Hughton.

3. Raided us by taking which players exactly? Danny Ings and Marvin Bartley were the only players to join him up at Burnley and we got good money for both. Back then we needed to sell. He has nothing to be forgiven for. Nice try though, but your making up complete rubbish!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here