Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Retro Albion - Have your say for MK Dons

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Given that it's MK Dons. Weird game in 2002 when we played Wimbledon at home at selhurst. Wimbledon fans were boycotting the game so there were only 600 of them and 2000 of us. Two of my mates were on the Wimbledon side but they walked round to the Arthur Wait at half time and joined us to get some atmosphere. unfortunately we lost

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Cardiff at home in the early 90's. Monsoon like conditions - we may have even used the Whale mopper upper from Sussex - we lost 5-3 but it could have been any score.

Nogan I think scored a hattrick and was applauded off the pitch by every fan despite the defeat.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
The Sheffield United game would have been my choice, and was an absolute corker.
We actually went 3 - 0 down before a barnstorming come back saw us take a 4 - 3 lead.
Only for us to concede in the final minute and lose 5 - 4.

Thanks TMGD, it seems my memory is a bit shot, but an extraordinary game it was!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The match against Bristol Rovers where George Parris sneaked up behind the goal keeper and scored that cheeky goal, also that Hereford home game (i think it was Hereford) in 96/97 where a firework signalled a mass exodus from the Goldstone in protest at the board.

George Parris was against Notts County, wasn't it?

Stumpy Tim

I remember a boxing day game against Colchester at the Pissfield. 3-0 down at half-time, half the crowd left. Ended up 4-4 with Emblem netting a hatrick. Very strange as it was such a good game, but only a few hundred saw the second half

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Memories, memories.

I think I have more than enough to go with now. As I said at the beginning, I had my own personal list of strange games, but you lot have certainly resurrected a few hidden/long forgotten gems for which I salute you all (in particular 'Working Class Hero' for that war and peace of an answer!). Look out for the finished article in the MK Dons edition of the programme. How the hell I'm gonna spoon all that lot into my 900 word opening couple of pages, Lord knows!

Thank you all for your answers - you're a credit to the club, every single flippin' one of you. But you knew that anyway. Might do this again sometime with another subject for the Retro Albion section of Seagull. It's been fun.....

Be lucky,
Spence

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thinking about it a bit more - surreal but in a very very good way - Fan's United day but I guess way too obvious. Mind, might add a certain piquancy to the programme for MK Dons match to mention community saving football club.....

Indeed - and well done to the Milton Keynes community for taking the Dons in when they were at their lowest.

That's what you were saying, right...?

Given that it's MK Dons. Weird game in 2002 when we played Wimbledon at home at selhurst. Wimbledon fans were boycotting the game so there were only 600 of them and 2000 of us. Two of my mates were on the Wimbledon side but they walked round to the Arthur Wait at half time and joined us to get some atmosphere. unfortunately we lost

I remember the atmosphere, but I remember the match as nil-nil, so I had a quick look and you were right, but did you know this was defeat number 2 in a sequence of TWELVE defeats on the trot!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Good find. He was overweight and so scared of playing in front of the away end that you could see his legs shaking.
I don't remember enjoying many other games that season, so this one was the stand-out game for me.

I went to that. I have never seen a player look so utterly petrified. He was literally wincing at the stick that he was getting.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Exeter at home (2000 i think) Every single player was booked for Exeter as well as the manager having previously head butted the post after conceding a penalty when he last played the Albion.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The game where Hinshelwood cleared the ball over the south-stand at Withdean at such a height, every single person in the stadium including players wanted to see where the ball would actually land. Whilst all eyes were on the destiny of this huge clearance, a ball boy had quickly thrown a new ball to the opposition who took a quick throw-in and then ended up scoring but yet, everyone still had eyes on where this other ball was landing.

I also remember everyone blaming the ball boy after the game for our loss.

Last edited:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The game where Virgo (i think) cleared the ball over the south-stand at Withdean at such a height, every single person in the stadium including players wanted to see where the ball would actually land. Whilst all eyes were on the destiny of this huge clearance, a ball boy had quickly thrown a new ball to the opposition who took a quick throw-in and then ended up scoring but yet, everyone including our starting eleven, still had eyes on where this other ball was landing.

Hinshelwood.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
The last game of 78 at the Goldstone when we won but didn't get promotion as spurs and Southampton contrived a draw to both go up and leave us in 4th.
People were more interested in listening to their transistor radios and every now-and-then a pocket of cheering would break out as if there was a goal in the other match

springy

Oct 19, 2009
There was a game around Christmas about 25 years ago when the pitch was so waterlogged it looked more suitable for water polo. Amazingly, it went ahead (I think it was against Bristol Rovers but I'm not sure about that)

There was also the game against Torquay on 29 November 1970 (my 14th birthday) when my projected trip to the game was cancelled as the game was snowed off - only to find out later that it hadn't been. I didn't go to the game but that must have a strange atmosphere

I was at that game, it was my 18th birthday. The ground was like an ice rink, hardly anyone there due to the confusion over whather the game was on or off; there was no relaible way of checking in those days before the internet and Sky Sports so I went ayway in case it was on after all. It was a peculiar game, with such a treacherous surface; like watching football on ice. It finished 2-2 if I remember correctly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The game where Hinshelwood cleared the ball over the south-stand at Withdean at such a height, every single person in the stadium including players wanted to see where the ball would actually land. Whilst all eyes were on the destiny of this huge clearance, a ball boy had quickly thrown a new ball to the opposition who took a quick throw-in and then ended up scoring but yet, everyone still had eyes on where this other ball was landing.

The scorer was none other than the panto villain Scott McGleish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here