Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion offer rejected - Mustafa Carayol

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If you say so. Sounds like complete rubbish to me as we never had an offer accepted but if that will help the complete pointless slagging off of Poyet, then you go ahead. Personally, I am pissed off with the way it ended but find it odd that certain people have to question how good a job he did when here.

Ok, but it wasn't meant to be a 'pointless slagging off' of Poyet.

I just don't feel he was the messiah at bringing in players ( that others couldn't ) that he is being credited with.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No point in going down this road. There will always be some people who think players came to play for Gus and we paid them peanuts compared to others. Apart from Vicente, who was a waste of money and Bridge, who was a loan and a year on, would he still be as good as Ward is now??? I can't thing who we have lost, that is so bad. The team is still at the right end of the league. The books are slowly being balanced and we are no worse off than we were under Poyet.....are we???......I'm sorry, with every passing week Poyet is exposed as a myth.....If his players were so outstanding and now they are slipping through our grasp(as you say), why aren't we in the prem, instead of the same place we were 12 month ago. With a lot less cost going out???

If we have 'a lot less cost going out' why did Tony Bloom say the playing budget is 6% higher this season than last season?

Either he is lying or you are.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Ok, but it wasn't meant to be a 'pointless slagging off' of Poyet.

I just don't feel he was the messiah at bringing in players ( that others couldn't ) that he is being credited with.

I'm not saying he's perfect. I think he attracted players that other managers might not have been able to. My concern is that Oscar not being so involved in transfers means he can't have the same impact on signings.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not saying he's perfect. I think he attracted players that other managers might not have been able to. My concern is that Oscar not being so involved in transfers means he can't have the same impact on signings.

Is Oscar gagged in his office with the door locked when prospective players come to look around then? :smile:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If we have 'a lot less cost going out' why did Tony Bloom say the playing budget is 6% higher this season than last season?

Either he is lying or you are.

Is the playing budget and transfer budget two seprate pots?..We probably are paying out more wages..I think the argument was why are we not attracting the players Poyet did???...When actaully the club as as whole is in a far more stable possition.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Is Oscar gagged in his office with the door locked when prospective players come to look around then? :smile:

Obviously not but it seems like a different system to when Poyet was here. I feel he was more actively involved in transfers. I could well be completely wrong and we'll get four new signings this week all saying how Oscar sold the club to them (which would be amazing).

This is not meant to be a criticism of Oscar or the club. There are clear reasons for the director of football organising transfers otherwise nobody would use that system.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He'd be a good addition. From what I've seen and heard he's very much a Lua Lua type. Can't cross to save his life and at times a bit inconsistent, but always fast, direct, cuts inside a lot, shoots well and usually effective. He'd be a good signing at the right price,

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is the playing budget and transfer budget two seprate pots?..We probably are paying out more wages..I think the argument was why are we not attracting the players Poyet did???...When actaully the club as as whole is in a far more stable possition.

So you are saying the club was unstable under Poyet last season yet still finished fourth?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He'd be a good addition. From what I've seen and heard he's very much a Lua Lua type. Can't cross to save his life and at times a bit inconsistent, but always fast, direct, cuts inside a lot, shoots well and usually effective. He'd be a good signing at the right price,

good to have a post relevant to the thread title

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

From the video alone I saw more good crosses than I've seen from 3 years of Kaz.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Obviously not but it seems like a different system to when Poyet was here. I feel he was more actively involved in transfers. I could well be completely wrong and we'll get four new signings this week all saying how Oscar sold the club to them (which would be amazing).

This is not meant to be a criticism of Oscar or the club. There are clear reasons for the director of football organising transfers otherwise nobody would use that system.

I think the managers involvement in helping to sell the club and in convincing a player he is really wanted is an important element in the vast majority of transfers. Players need to feel convinced that they are going to a club where they will feel valued by the manager and to understand how he sees them fitting in with the playing ethos. Oh, and the money's important too!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

One of our signings this year said when they signed how they had spoken to Oscar several times before signing. I don't think it is a case of a different system than when Poyet was here, just different personalities.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
So you are saying the club was unstable under Poyet last season yet still finished fourth?

Some people are steadfastly determined in their wilful rewriting of history re: Poyet, in a desperate attempt to justify their own bile which they spouted when he was here. Apparently he played boring, ineffective football, was easily found out, had the best squad in the division, underachieved, overpaid for players, and all whilst sending his CV to prem chairman every other day. Nonsense the lot if it.

I honestly wouldn't give these people the time of day. Their opinions are so stubborn, attempting any kind of debate or reasoning is utterly pointless.

Last edited:

May 18, 2013
If you say so. Sounds like complete rubbish to me as we never had an offer accepted but if that will help the complete pointless slagging off of Poyet, then you go ahead. Personally, I am pissed off with the way it ended but find it odd that certain people have to question how good a job he did when here.

Of course Poyet did a good job while he was here... and Oscar is doing just as well as his replacement. Haven't we had two great manager appointments under Bloom?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
did you forget the end of last season??? I think it's very fair to say that the club was unstable under Poyet.

Managers are replaced all the time. It makes the Albion no more or less unstable than any other club in the same situation

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
From the video alone I saw more good crosses than I've seen from 3 years of Kaz.

That was a showreel though - Hardly going to put all the rubbish ones in!

A 'Borough fan I live with thinks his crossing is woeful.. but then the same is said of LuaLua. They're very similar players IMO,

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some people are steadfastly determined in their wilful rewriting of history re: Poyet, in a desperate attempt to justify their own bile which they spouted when he was here. Apparently he played boring, ineffective football, was easily found out, had the best squad in the division, underachieved, overpaid for players, and all whilst sending his CV to prem chairman every other day. Nonsense the lot if it.

I honestly wouldn't give these people the time of day. Their opinions are so stubborn, attempting any kind of debate or reasoning is utterly pointless.

Spot on. It's childish and embarrassing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That was a showreel though - Hardly going to put all the rubbish ones in!

A 'Borough fan I live with thinks his crossing is woeful.. but then the same is said of LuaLua. They're very similar players IMO,

But that's my point. Within that showreel were more good crosses than Kaz has EVER put in. Ever. And quite a few bits were from the same games so you got an idea of consistency. He looks like a comfortably better crosser of the ball than Kaz.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex

Here, here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here