Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham Air show crash

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Bless all of you on NSC, I have just received wonderful news, my brother is fine. Without letting anyone know he changed his mind about the airshow and instead visited Salisbury. His home phone had broken and he forgot to take his mobile. His friend travelled to visit family in Scotland.

I am acutely aware of the power, mostly good, of NSC and it's brotherhood of wonderful people who offer such help and kindness when it's needed. I'm lucky, sadly so many are not and my heart goes out to them, I know from held back tears how you feel.

Again, bless & thank you all, and those that prayed for me may your God be with you. Boroseagull

this is indeed good news

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Are you on a wind up? Wrong thread if you are.

Most of us are local, driven on that road and stopped at those traffic lights. On a different day could of been anyone of us or someone we know. Very sobering thought.

Indeed, I am in Hampshire, but my brother lives in Sompting. I pick him up on the way over. We were on that very piece of road probably about 40 minutes before the accident. I received a text from my wife as we settled in to our seats fairly early on checking that I was alright once she heard about the crash. Luckily I could obviously say yes.

I had sat in a queue at the Hill Barn Traffic Lights, waiting to turn in to Busticle lane, at about 1pm, had seen a previous aircraft doing aerobatics, and the thought had passed through my mind that he must have been perilously close to the road. I used to work in the aviation industry about 20 years ago, only in administration, admittedly, but I have always had very mixed feelings about airshows.

What people are going through now is just unimaginable. My heart (and everything else) goes out to them.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've not posted on this thread yet as I didn't really have anything to add, but have been keeping a close eye on things.

I just want to say that when I read [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION]'s post about his family my heart sank. I don't know why as I've never met him and probably never will, but after that I was checking back to see if he'd made contact and was genuinely happy when he'd made contact. I guess NSC really does provide a sense of community and when one of our own is is trouble everyone can at least feel some sort of empathy for them, regardless of what's been said on here in the past.

And on that note: [MENTION=887]Boroseagull[/MENTION] there are people all over Sussex and probably all over the world hoping that things turn out alright for you. It probably doesn't count for much at the moment, but I hope it counts for something.

I don't want to fuel the flames of an argument, but there are too many local connections for people not to be affected by this. Most of us have driven that stretch of road and to think at any point something can fall out of the sky and end your life is a stark reminder of our own mortality. There will be many more desperately sad stories to come out of this once the dust has settled, I can't even imagine how the families are feeling at the moment. So sad.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I used to get annoyed at my Mum for wanting to know the details of where I was going if I was going away i.e. hotel names, but cases like Westdene's and Boroseagull's on here show that a bit of information like that could save a hell of a lot of pain and suffering for relatives desperately trying to get hold of someone in instances such as this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bless all of you on NSC, I have just received wonderful news, my brother is fine. Without letting anyone know he changed his mind about the airshow and instead visited Salisbury. His home phone had broken and he forgot to take his mobile. His friend travelled to visit family in Scotland.

I am acutely aware of the power, mostly good, of NSC and it's brotherhood of wonderful people who offer such help and kindness when it's needed. I'm lucky, sadly so many are not and my heart goes out to them, I know from held back tears how you feel.

Again, bless & thank you all, and those that prayed for me may your God be with you. Boroseagull
Phew.

Your brother owes you beer. Lots of beer.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I didn't get her name, but some poor women was just on Radio 5 interviewed by Adrian Harms.

She was on her way to work just in front of the crash and stopped her car, she said people were running around and then a big fireball engulfed the area, her instant thoughts were get away, let the emgerency services get in, and get to work where I can be around people, sounds like she just sat in the canteen until her son on law picked her up.

Through a post on Facebook, sun journalists managed to track her down and bluff their way into her house and appeared in her front room, they printed 'Women drive through fireball and then goes to work'. The poor women is in shock and was in tears, she is now receiving abuse from people online saying she should of stayed and helped, what the hell could she have done.

What is it that makes people turn into such thoughtless knobs on line. They press should be getting her help, not profiteering from her story.

Absolutely agree. That is just disgusting on the part of the journalists.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I've not posted on this thread yet as I didn't really have anything to add, but have been keeping a close eye on things.

I just want to say that when I read [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION]'s post about his family my heart sank. I don't know why as I've never met him and probably never will, but after that I was checking back to see if he'd made contact and was genuinely happy when he'd made contact. I guess NSC really does provide a sense of community and when one of our own is is trouble everyone can at least feel some sort of empathy for them, regardless of what's been said on here in the past.

And on that note: [MENTION=887]Boroseagull[/MENTION] there are people all over Sussex and probably all over the world hoping that things turn out alright for you. It probably doesn't count for much at the moment, but I hope it counts for something.

I don't want to fuel the flames of an argument, but there are too many local connections for people not to be affected by this. Most of us have driven that stretch of road and to think at any point something can fall out of the sky and end your life is a stark reminder of our own mortality. There will be many more desperately sad stories to come out of this once the dust has settled, I can't even imagine how the families are feeling at the moment. So sad.

You may have worked it out by now, but [MENTION=887]Boroseagull[/MENTION] is ok.

Totally agree that this emphasises the pure humanity of the vast majority of the people on here.

I used to get annoyed at my Mum for wanting to know the details of where I was going if I was going away i.e. hotel names, but cases like Westdene's and Boroseagull's on here show that a bit of information like that could save a hell of a lot of pain and suffering for relatives desperately trying to get hold of someone in instances such as this.

Totally agree with this.

Many years ago my wife and I were on Holiday in Rhodes during what was a biblical storm, unknown to us 2 British Holidaymakers were swept out to see and drowned. We had not taken a mobile with us or even told our Children where about on Rhodes we were let alone which Hotel we were in and not seeing any news ourselves were completely unaware of what had happened.

We were unaware of the total panic at home until the 2nd last day when we called home from a payphone to get the Tobacco order.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Absolutely delighted for you (and your brother) Boroseagull. Marvellous news.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012

Fantastic to hear some good news. Really pleased for you.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
were you there ??

No, I was not there. My father was on the coach to The Amex in traffic from Chichester and luckily for him was held up some way short of Shoreham. Like many others I am aware of many of the guys who have lost their lives, in particular for Jacob who raised almost 1000 pound for REMF, particularly poignant as the under 14 boys played in a cup final yesterday here in Kenya due to the kind money donated from the wonderful charity.

I have also traveled on that stretch of road like many others on here thousands and thousands of times. The fact that I am shaken up by the events and had a few sleepless nights does not matter one jot that I am 4000 miles away at this current time. I love my home city, I love my home county, I love my home people and when we lose one of our own, we all hurt.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I am so pleased to hear this

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
"Albion chief executive Paul Barber last night visited the family of Matt Grimstone", according to Naylor.

Good man. I don't think many people including me, will ever know what it's like to be in their position, but it's humbling to see the amount of support going out to the victims' families.

Perhaps we could observe a minute silence at the Ipswich game this weekend, as a mark of respect.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here