Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mark McGhee

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Another reason for people preferring McGhee to Poyet, is that McGhee didn't have a massive ego and think he was bigger than the club.

Oct 25, 2003
good bloke, hope he does well there

keeping us up that season has to go down as one of the biggest achievements in our history. We basically had a league 2/non league budget and had to sell two of our best players in January

possibly should have left that summer as in reality it was never going to get easier for him and perhaps that last season and a bit tainted his reputation a bit (for a short period, it didn't take long for people to forget about that and appreciate him for what he did)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Barnet didn't look too shabby at the Amex this season (yup, I attended and didn't "harvest"). Going by that I think he'll have enough there to work with, and will have the experience and knowhow to steer them away from danger. I hope so anyway. That's quite a coup for Barnet to appoint a manager of his stature.

Yes I attended that one too and was hugely impressed by them that evening. We were lucky to win and Barnet deserved to take it to a shoot out in my opinion.

Shortly after they won 4-1 away at Swindon and I thought they would go on to be promotion chasers but it seems to have fallen apart for them.

They've had injuries but the feeling was that with the 3 players back, which they were this Saturday, performances and results would improve. I was at their game at home to Colchester Saturday and they were beyond shocking and it was no surprise to me that the manager was relieved of his duties.

It was my first visit to their new ground and a very impressive set up it is too. Great facilities for fans as well as top level pitches both grass and 4g for their respective age groups.

It looks a well run club from the outside and if they survive this season I can see them being a decent outfit. If Burton can do it no reasons why clubs such as Barnet couldn't do something similar.

A good appointment by Barnet and a good job for McGhee. I hope it works out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes I attended that one too and was hugely impressed by them that evening. We were lucky to win and Barnet deserved to take it to a shoot out in my opinion.

Shortly after they won 4-1 away at Swindon and I thought they would go on to be promotion chasers but it seems to have fallen apart for them.

They've had injuries but the feeling was that with the 3 players back, which they were this Saturday, performances and results would improve. I was at their game at home to Colchester Saturday and they were beyond shocking and it was no surprise to me that the manager was relieved of his duties.

It was my first visit to their new ground and a very impressive set up it is too. Great facilities for fans as well as top level pitches both grass and 4g for their respective age groups.

It looks a well run club from the outside and if they survive this season I can see them being a decent outfit. If Burton can do it no reasons why clubs such as Barnet couldn't do something similar.

A good appointment by Barnet and a good job for McGhee. I hope it works out.

Fair play. Hard not to have a soft spot for Barnet, they've always been a club with a bit of character IMO. Whether they can "do a Burton" though...not so sure. Its astonishing that they are playing their 2nd season at Championship level, thats a hard thing to emulate. The Burtons and Yeovils have to be the ultimate template for clubs of Barnets stature, but its rarely sustainable, as Yeovil are now finding out.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Burton will find staying up this year very tough - saw them beat Harry's blues and draw at home with Massive - but woeful at home to Villa and Wolves - off to see them in relegation six pointer against Sunderland in ten days or so

Last time saw Sunderland at this level was when BHA under McGhee beat them in 2004/5 season 2-1 at Withdean

Even more impressive is Burton stayed up last season and made £1.3m profit which was more than Man City managed profit wise!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can fully understand people liking MM rather than GP as a man but there was no comparison between the football played by the teams of each.
There was no comparison between the players available to MM and those available to GP. That does sometimes make a difference.............

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I think Fleetwood are a very well run club, near the play-offs (like last season) in League One. They've got a new ground and Uwe Rosler as manager. The Cod Army always seem to go under the radar by pundits and bookies.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
McGhee keeping us up in the Championship in 2004-05 with the squad and resources he had, would arguably be a bigger achievement than if Hughton keeps our side in the Premier League at the end of this season. We were really punching above our weight as a club when McGhee was manager.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There was no comparison between the players available to MM and those available to GP. That does sometimes make a difference.............

Indeed it does, but McGhee's preferred way of seeting up a team was far more cautious than Gus's somewhat gung ho approach.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
McGhee keeping us up in the Championship in 2004-05 with the squad and resources he had, would arguably be a bigger achievement than if Hughton keeps our side in the Premier League at the end of this season. We were really punching above our weight as a club when McGhee was manager.

We are really punching above our weight now too.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mark McGhee - top man, one of my favourite Albion managers, I hope he does well at Barnet, I'll be looking out for their results.

He had the misfortune to manage us smack bang in the middle of the Withdean wilderness years yet still got us up into the Championship.

The Play-Off Final is still in my Top 5 Albion best days ever.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We are really punching above our weight now too.

Only in our first season at this level. We're at our weight class now, we deserve to be in the Premier League and the club are set up to be sustainable at this level. There are a lot of clubs in a similar position, but we have the league placing so it's ours to lose.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Only in our first season at this level. We're at our weight class now, we deserve to be in the Premier League and the club are set up to be sustainable at this level. There are a lot of clubs in a similar position, but we have the league placing so it's ours to lose.

Let's get this season done and dusted, and see where we are then, if we survive, then yes, l'll be inclined to agree with you.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I still love Poyet too!

I think part of the reason for the affection to McGhee was that we all appreciated what a difficult time it was to manage the club with the stadium uncertainty and lack of budget. Poyet had it a lot better and really threw away a great position. Also, speaking from experience there did seem to be a real connection between the fans, players and management then with some real characters in the side and on the bench.

Probably as McGhee very much overachieved here. Very little budget. How he kept us in the championship with that side i’ll Never know. Poyet had a huge budget and a brand new stadium to move into. It’s easier to build a nice team when you’ve got money to throw at it.

You both make similar but very valid points. He did do a very good job with what he had in front of him. I do recall it being very painful to watch at time though. Granted the Withdean factor didn't help much.

Poyet was a car crash waiting to happen from day 1 but from an entertainment point of view it was far more enjoyable to watch his side than McGhee's.

McGhee did have one of the best songs ever though!! :whisky::whisky::whisky::whisky::whisky:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here