Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] XBOX 500GB or 1TB...?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Buying disc based games are good for trade in's at places like Cex or selling on Ebay, Forums etc. Obviously you can't do that with digital downloads. pro's and cons with both formats!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Take him for a game of cricket over the Nevill field.

Good enough for you growing up, good enough for him!
:LOL: Good advice and happy memories! Coincidence - we are based in Eastbourne now but went for a walk at Devil's Dyke this Saturday and drove down through Hove to get Fish & Chips so we called in at Holmes Avenue...

The gate that we used to climb over to get into the Nevill and I thought was massive (way over my head height) is actually about 4ft tall... :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
500gb here, yes it gets full quickly but I’ll just uninstall the games I’m not using and reinstall when I want to. Which isn’t often.
Thanks. I reckon we'll go with 500gb too - we can always add externally if it turns out to be needed.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You don't need the extra storage for any particular game. The extra storage is so that you can have more games stored at the same time. The main questions are how many games he's likely to need installed at the same time, and whether you'll get games on disc or digitally (more on that later).

Is he going to play online? It's £40 a year, but there are deals where you get it for a bit less each time. With that you also get a couple of free games each month (not all will be suitable for a 10 year old, but plenty will). He can also play many old 360 games, which are cheap at CEX etc.

I've had an Xbox One since day one and haven't ever had a disc for it - that's because a) I don't want to have to get up to change games, all my games are on the Xbox and b) I game share:
Game sharing is where you and one other person share digital games - one of you buys the game, both can play. Obviously that means you only have to pay for half your games. Also, are you on fibre broadband? Because that helps when downloading digital games quickly.

I'd probably save the £70. You can always get an external USB drive to add more space if needed: like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxtor-Sli...3627&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=samsung+m3+usb+hdd

If you want to know more, ask away
Thanks. Sharing games seems like a good way to go so any more detail on that would be interesting. We are not on fibre broadband so we'll just have to live with that limitation.

Yes, he wants to play online with his friends from school so the online deal with free games will be part of what we do. He said his friend got FIFA 18 for free recently from the same subscription thing which surprised me. Would that still be available or does the opportunity pass?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks. Sharing games seems like a good way to go so any more detail on that would be interesting.
This is how it works:
People set their Xbox as their home console. Instead of setting your home console to being your home console, your friend signs in instead, and sets it to their home console. You then do the same on their Xbox - sign in and set it to be your home console. That's it.
The way it works is that the console you have in front of you has access to all the games owned by the person who has set it to be their home console, regardless of whether they're signed in or not. So in your house, you can always play your friend's games.
Then when you sign in to the console, you also have access to all the games you own.

That all applies to digital games only.

He said his friend got FIFA 18 for free recently from the same subscription thing which surprised me.
No, that's not possible. He may have got it for free when buying an Xbox or something, that's all.

Digital games aren't cheap. You can either get a discount when buying credit (like at cdwow etc) or you can buy games from a foreign region (but that's more effort).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This is how it works:
People set their Xbox as their home console. Instead of setting your home console to being your home console, your friend signs in instead, and sets it to their home console. You then do the same on their Xbox - sign in and set it to be your home console. That's it.
The way it works is that the console you have in front of you has access to all the games owned by the person who has set it to be their home console, regardless of whether they're signed in or not. So in your house, you can always play your friend's games.
Then when you sign in to the console, you also have access to all the games you own.

That all applies to digital games only.

No, that's not possible. He may have got it for free when buying an Xbox or something, that's all.

Digital games aren't cheap. You can either get a discount when buying credit (like at cdwow etc) or you can buy games from a foreign region (but that's more effort).
Thanks. The digital sharing sounds excellent - I think I understand it - would it work with more than two people?

Is there something else apart form the £40 a year service that you can pay to get digital games? M Jnr has talked about paying "£10 a month" for something...? Could that be where FIFA 18 came from?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks. The digital sharing sounds excellent - I think I understand it - would it work with more than two people?
No, because the console in your home will be set to one other person, and you can sign in as yourself - that's access to 2 people's games, not more.

Is there something else apart form the £40 a year service that you can pay to get digital games? M Jnr has talked about paying "£10 a month" for something...? Could that be where FIFA 18 came from?
Maybe EA access that can get you their games, which include FIFA (checking it, it seems you can get FIFA 17, but you'd have to pay for FIFA 18 (free 10 hour trial only). And EA access appears to be $5 a month, $30 a year. Worth it for those that get quite a few EA games.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No, because the console in your home will be set to one other person, and you can sign in as yourself - that's access to 2 people's games, not more.

Maybe EA access that can get you their games, which include FIFA (checking it, it seems you can get FIFA 17, but you'd have to pay for FIFA 18 (free 10 hour trial only). And EA access appears to be $5 a month, $30 a year. Worth it for those that get quite a few EA games.
Thanks again. Now you mention it I am sure that EA access and a free 10 hour trial is the answer to the FIFA 18 thing.

barchetta

Mar 21, 2016
Our son is now 13 and we got it when he was 11. We got the 500mb version from Tesco i think they were doing a deal at the time.

Has got xbox live which cost us 35 pounds a year and has access to games that are 12 or under. Gets some free games.
Most games we have are fifa, f1, minecraft various versions and a couple of lego games.
Still some space i think as he hasn't said anything.
We have it set so he can't play before 7am and after 9pm only 2 hours a day and 4 at weekends.
Also includes surfing on the internet, we a weekly report of what sites hes been to and which games he's played for how long.
Can get time extensions by sending us an email. we can say or no and how much extra, based on his behaviour or if he doing school stuff rather than watching inane youtube videos.

Make sure you have unlimited broadband, ours has gone from less than 10mb a month to 160mb as he plays minecraft online.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I've got a 2tb HDD in my PS4 and I have to delete stuff from time to time to make room for new stuff.
Definitely wouldn't pick an Xbox over a PS4 though, just a suggestion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here