Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeepers and the forward flop

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well Mr Lewis is very wrong and you. I read the Laws, name drop, as FIFA publish them, and Law 12 clearly states you are allowed to shield the ball.

He was a Top Ref in the League and FIFA in the 80s/90s so it may have changed since then as I am sure he wouldnt have made such an elementary mistake. I would say there is a difference between shielding the ball and stopping your opponent getting at it by stretching your arms out.

He used to come to Surrey FA meeting regularly to answer questions and give the members advice on the rules and laws of football.

Last edited:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Well Mr Lewis is very wrong and you. I read the Laws, name drop, as FIFA publish them, and Law 12 clearly states you are allowed to shield the ball.
If you are going to be a pedant, it is important to get your facts right...FIFA no longer publish the Laws of the Game - it is now the International Football Association Board (IFAB).:thumbsup:

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
The problem is that we're all being conned. I think the ball is only in play for an average of 60 minutes or so in each game so I'd rather not see any more time taken up by something that prevents this.

It is 60 minutes the ball is usually in play for. One of FIFA's recent suggested rule changes seemed ridiculous at first but maybe makes more sense when you know this particular statistic. They suggested 60 minute games with an off-pitch referee stopping the clock every time a player time wasted/got injured/substituted etc. This would give a time wasting team no advantage whatsoever and the course of the game would still last about 90 minutes.

Not sure if keepers flopping on the ball would be affected by this much as the ball is still in play but it would maybe discourage it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He was a Top Ref in the League and FIFA in the 80s/90s so it may have changed since then as I am sure he wouldnt have made such an elementary mistake. I would say there is a difference between shielding the ball and stopping your opponent getting at it by stretching your arms out.

He used to come to Surrey FA meeting regularly to answer questions and give the members advice on the rules and laws of football.

Where refs get it wrong is when a player knocks the past another and then runs straight into him. that gets a freekick every time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No he was talking of blatantly stopping a player getting to the ball so that it went out of play for a goal kick but as I said it was 25= 30 years ago so may well have changed or been modified since that day. We used to have regular chats and arguments about the games he reffed at The Goldstone when I thought he had got something wrong.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I remember, way back when, in the darkest of days under Mickey II *shudder* getting increasingly incensed, by Walsall's Clayton Ince doing this in the infamous 9-man match.

I am CONVINCED that he did a forward roll at some point in that game to waste time.... but maybe I've imagined it.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Ryan does it every time, even seen it when we are chasing a game.

Rule I'd change is the wrestling at corners. If I was a ref I reckon I'd give about 15 penalties a game currently, but one team might actually stop doing it at that point.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
For the uninitiated, the goalie flop was invented in 1955 during a game between West Riding Wanderers under-8s and Sheffield Stars under-8s. The player who invented it was none other than a seven year old Neil Warnock, who was playing at right back at the time.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
I couldn't be arsed looking up the rules but my understanding re shielding the ball is that it is legal as long as the shielder stays within ball playing distance. As soon as he goes beyond ball playing distance it becomes a technical foul.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Also, the GK has six seconds from the time he is deemed to have control of the ball. The flop is to try and give the impression he doesn't yet have control but technically he's using up his six seconds by flopping and risking an indirect.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Kuipers was the expert at this, as was Gary Hart for the slow run off the pitch when substituted (when winning).

You're right about Kuipers, but not sure about Hart - I think that was just him running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here