Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Things which are not currently criminal offences but which absolutely should be

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have a pair of Crocs, but their sole purpose is for if/when it rains on holiday, where the campsite is on sand. They are ideal for this.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
Cyclists on the road
If you want to dress up in a colourful condom and cycle round that is fine. But Dr Beeching and Mr Marples closed a load of railway lines in the south so go and ride on those.

Cyclists without helmets
Cyclists that think just because they have spent £500 on some Team Sky merchandise they are now a professional
Anyone that abbreviates merchandise to merch
Cyclists that do a jolly trip overseas in the name of charity and want to be sponsored for it. No you have gone on a cycling holiday round some of the nicer bits of Europe.
Cyclists that ride 2 or more abreast across the road

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
People with a far greater knowledge and appreciation of the English language than I have have interpreted it that way too.

You go with the arbitrary changing of the meaning of words when context isn't applied, I'll go with the experts. :)

Great answer, after being literally (what a great chance to use that so often misused word correctly!) proven wrong by the English dictionary. It's not arbitrary, you understand that language evolves over time, correct? Things that were once colloquialism become common use - is happening at all times, and has happened since year dot of language. That's what's happening here. Pretty sure the experts will back me up there! :wink:

Stephen Fry wrote a very good piece on the evolution of language, I recommend it.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
'Baby/Little Princess/Small person/etc On Board' car stickers.

I you have one, you're a c***, or more to the point, a c*** who can't drive properly. There is a direct correlation between these stickers and being an absolute reet behind the wheel.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Stepping onto a train and stopping without moving down the carriage

People on planes who switch on their mobile phones as soon as the plane lands and stand up to try and get off before the plane has stopped at the gate.

People who litter (yes I know there is a law but its never enforced)

Drivers using their mobile phones (as above)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
People with a far greater knowledge and appreciation of the English language than I have have interpreted it that way too.

You go with the arbitrary changing of the meaning of words when context isn't applied, I'll go with the experts. :)

This article from MacMillan Dictionary Blog on this very phrase is decent, suggesting that whilst Americans have accepted the change, Brits are still a bit slow on the uptake. Also worth mentioning, this article is from 8 years ago...

http://www.macmillandictionaryblog.com/can-i-get

language change and slang
‘Can I get …’
8 years agoby Susan Jellis
© Monkey Business / Fotolia.com‘Can I get some more paper?’
‘Yes, it’s on the table over there – help yourself.’

This would be an unremarkable question and answer pattern but the colleague who was asked this question by several native speakers of British English recently was the invigilator of an exam and certainly did not give that response! The expectation of ‘going and getting’ some more paper cannot have been in the students’ or the invigilator’s mind. So what the students meant was: ‘Can I have some more paper?’ (= I’d like to be given some more paper).

This use of ‘Can I get’ for ‘Can I have’ has become increasingly common in the younger age groups of British English speakers. I first remember noticing it in the late 1990s, when the Friends effect was strong in the UK. Now you will often hear someone asking ‘Can I get a coffee?’ or ‘Can I get an egg sandwich?’ at a takeaway counter. It is, of course, common in American English.

Both the UK and US versions of the Macmillan English Dictionary record the ‘Can I have’ formula for requests, giving it the specific context of polite requests for food and drink. They also both record the ‘go and bring back’ sense of ‘get’. But, in common with the most recently published ELT dictionaries, neither appears to show that ‘get’ is being used in requests for something to be given, in British English as well as American English.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
People that get offended on behalf of others.
Social justice warriors.

What's wrong with campaigning for social justice ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Friends who come round for a specific TV event, such as a Dr Who finale, and proceed to talk all the way through it.

Life ban from attending any excitably anticipated event.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Eating anything crunchy in a cinema.

Eating anything out of a rustly packet in a cinema.

Talking in a cinema.

Basically, other people in cinemas.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Saying "can I get" when ordering something in a deli / pub / whatever.

Anyone standing within the immediate vicinity of the offender should have the legal right to drag them from the premises by the hair, and beat them to death with their own shoes.

Absolutely this - it drives me ****ing crazy!! But why I wonder???

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Fleecing money out of vulnerable/gullible people by professing to be able to communicate with the deceased.

Absolutely this!!

and Horoscopes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here