Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pre- footie pubs back in the day. Where did you go?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
North Star, Ditchling where we would fill up and then drive (different times) to our mate who had a house with parking opposite the Goldstone.
That was 40 years ago and suspect that the friend may have gone the same way as the pub and ground by now.

Eurobound

Brazil 2014- here we come
Nov 3, 2003
The Portland, Portland road hove, known as a rough old boozer to non regulars.
Maybe the Golden Cross for a change, then after either up to the "E shop" Eclipse as others have said.
always try to cadge a lift

Went with the Portland to the Notts County play off Final at Wembley- bout 30 of us went
Met at a pub near Wembley which opened up about 9 am for all of us (Friend of Chris, landlord of Portland)
Was amazed the pub was full at 9am LOL

Earlier days was the Nevill start and finish, in fact met my first better half there after a game in early 80's, Cup Final year
Great days

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Coral’s Squash club bar in the Goldstone days

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was never a drinker in Goldstone days. For Fans United we were in the Hove Park Tavern. At Gillingham it was the Cricketers for every match. At Withdean it was the Sportsman (in early for food - long drive from Faversham).

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Shooters (now Bar Revenge) in the Goldstone days.

One of the few places where we could regularly get served as we were all well underage.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
North Star, Ditchling where we would fill up and then drive (different times) to our mate who had a house with parking opposite the Goldstone.
That was 40 years ago and suspect that the friend may have gone the same way as the pub and ground by now.

God, I miss the old North Star. Used to practically live there!

For me, pub drinking pre and post home football matches started and ended at Withdean (The Station) as prior to that, I was generally too young, on my own and / or short of cash. I’ve generally drunk at the ground at the AMEX, but have made a few exceptions over the years.

Always try to have a beer or two at away games, though.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
The Eclipse / Exchange

Fantastic Cheese rolls

Great days could get served in the pub and then get in the football as a junior

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The Eclipse / Exchange

Fantastic Cheese rolls

Great days could get served in the pub and then get in the football as a junior

Not served in a mini metal bucket with bacon marmalade and then take 8 billion photos of it eh.

I really don't understand how people think that having a brioche bun burger is somehow an improvement on normal pubs. Not for me.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
The 1970's - Puttnams Wine Bar on Preston Street (excellent pint of King & Barnes)

The 1980's - The Lord Nelson. Hot Salt Beef Sandwiches washed down with several pints of Harvey's Best. Those were the days!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Goldstone days - The Edinburgh and then possibly the Hedgehog or the Hove Park Tavern.

Withdean days - Welly. Cab to the ground at 2.30. :drink:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Eclipse , anybody that has put the Eclipse and didn't get hit by something sharp and pointy on the way to or from the bog on matchday just dreamed of going to the eclipse on matchday .

1.Knife-Fight-Aichmophobia-600x799.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here