Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] How to get the perfect baked potato?

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Prick with a fork

imagesTYQMCIJT.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You just need to prick a potato and stick it in the oven for about an hour and a half. Anyone doing anything else (foil, salt, oil, etc. ) is wasting time and money.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
You just need to prick a potato and stick it in the oven for about an hour and a half. Anyone doing anything else (foil, salt, oil, etc. ) is wasting time and money.

Exactly my problem, I just want a perfect baked potato but everyone has different methods :moo:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Back in my student days, in the absence of a microwave, I shared a tip with a housemate that you can speed up the cooking of a baked potato if you shove a knife right through it and cook it with the knife still in it. The radiated heat from the knife helps cook the inside.

He used a plastic handled knife.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Prick Potatoes
Microwave for 3-5 mins per potato (depending on size)
200 degrees for 1 hr (turning a couple of times during cooking) on a baking tray, brushed with a little butter, to stop them sticking

and

Bob's you Auntie's live-in lover :thumbsup:

*edit* or grill shelf, as above

I prefer the Russet or King Edward.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Back in my student days, in the absence of a microwave, I shared a tip with a housemate that you can speed up the cooking of a baked potato if you shove a knife right through it and cook it with the knife still in it. The radiated heat from the knife helps cook the inside.

He used a plastic handled knife.
Good tip, I do that all the time to save oven time, works well with a straight through metal knife. For the old timers amongst us Skewers work too.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I use olive oil and bit of salt & pepper on them. Then, half way through the cooking, do them again with a bit more covering and turn them. You can get really nice crispy ones on the outside and lovely inside like that.

Mind you, the best baked potato I've ever had was when we had a fire up the allotment, dug the potatoes up and baked them straight away: bit o' earth on them was lovely!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Cover them in olive oil and salt then stick them in the oven. 2hrs should be long enough.

Exactly this, anything else is totally over complicating the matter, only other thing I'd add, makes holes in it with a knife, about 6-10. Put the oil and salt in a small plastic bag, like a sandwich type one, stick the potato in, give it a shake, oven at around 180 to 200 and after an hour or so just start keeping an eye on it.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
All of a sudden I am ruddy starving!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Exactly this, anything else is totally over complicating the matter, only other thing I'd add, makes holes in it with a knife, about 6-10. Put the oil and salt in a small plastic bag, like a sandwich type one, stick the potato in, give it a shake, oven at around 180 to 200 and after an hour or so just start keeping an eye on it.

Says the man with the most unecessarily complicated baked potatoes in the world!

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Once the pots are soft (use a skewer to test), scrape them out into a bowl, put skins back in the oven whilst mashing the potato you scraped out.

Add butter & cheese to the mashed potato in the bowl (I like to add diced onion but poss not everyone’s cup of tea) - no milk or will be too runny. Take the skins out of the oven and fill with the mashed potatoes. Return to the oven to head back through for about 20 mins.

Serve with slow cooked ribs n coleslaw.

Not too labour intensive but allowa couple of hrs for ribs. We are fortunate to have a cooker with 2 ovens so can do both at same time.

Enjoy :drool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here