Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Keep winning or look for the easier knockout games?

What should England do on Thursday

• Win for the momentum

Votes: 141 77.0%
  • Lose for the greater good.

Votes: 42 23.0%

• Total voters

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Are bookings wiped after round 1? If so, maybe if we're drawing with 10 mins to go get a few cheeky yellow cards to lower our fair play rating...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
That's ridiculous. Before we play we'll know which route would avoid Germany or Brazil. And Spain could also finish behind Portugal, and end up in the other semi-final, after we've played Brazil.

I'd prefer to get the the semi-final before worrying who that's against.

that was as things stand as the question is posed without us knowing.

And yep , plotting a route is silly. Play to win and what will be will be

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
that was as things stand as the question is posed without us knowing.
But it was still wrong. You made it out that we're as likely to face Brazil whether we finish first or second - that's not correct - while at the same time you said we were likely to face Spain in the semis (if we get there) if we finish 2nd in the group, which also isn't true.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This thread is getting a bit carried away with a couple of good performances isn't it? Whoever we will get in the last 16 will have come through three tough games to get there, whilst Belgium and ourselves have strolled through against two of the most unambitious teams in this World Cup. No easy games in the knock out stages and no point trying to get clever.

And besides all that we do not even know who has finished where yet. Brazil and Germany may not even make it through at all, so what side is the easier side of the draw then? We can re assess at 17:00 on Thursday but right now this is speculation on speculation, on several assumptions.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
But it was still wrong. You made it out that we're as likely to face Brazil whether we finish first or second - that's not correct - while at the same time you said we were likely to face Spain in the semis (if we get there) if we finish 2nd in the group, which also isn't true.

It is really. Because Brazil have not beaten Serbia yet, who is to say that Switzerland do not spank Costa Rica too. Brazil winning their group is very far from a certainty.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is really. Because Brazil have not beaten Serbia yet, who is to say that Switzerland do not spank Costa Rica too. Brazil winning their group is very far from a certainty.
Obviously it's not a certainty, but Brazil are odds on to win their group, so obviously we're more likely to face them in the quarters if we win our group.

Meanwhile, Spain are odds against reaching either semi-final, so it's obviously incorrect to say we'd be likely to get Spain in one particular semi-final (and I'm comparing the likelihood with facing Brazil on Germany in the quarters).

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
a) You were looking at the fixtures before they were firmed up - you mentioned Brazil and Germany first. But I still think is very presumptuous to try to avoid one team or another, be it Brazil or some other team
b) I actually think that it's a touch arrogant to see ourselves as likely winners. I think that we would stand a better chance of getting past the group H runner-up than the winner, either way I think we should just try to beat whoever our opponents are and see how far it takes us

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Croatia/Belgium aside no one has looked much of a threat

Brazil are struggling to score at the moment which changes everything.

D

Deleted member 18477

Would definitely rather finish second and not have to put up with Brazil cheating a win in the Quarter final.

I’d rather lose to Sweden or Switzerland.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would definitely rather finish second and not have to put up with Brazil cheating a win in the Quarter final.

I’d rather lose to Sweden or Switzerland.
And lose to Sweden we would.

It has happened so often it must be in the rules.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's simple, we do not want to be on the same side of the draw as Brazil. If we are, we'll get knocked out by Brazil. Belgium meanwhile will go on to the semi-finals.

Don't say I didn't ****ing tell you.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If our match finishes 0-0 tomorrow, do we still end up top of the group as we are now? In fact, why are we top now?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here