Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale in the bottom 3

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
People can defend him about money, longer contracts etc but this goes down as one of the biggest goalkeeping howlers of all time! That said I take no pleasure in it as he is a genuinely nice guy and we have a lot to thank him for.

he was offered £10,000 a week, fact ! So he was always going to be a number two keeper.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Not a fan of this Stockdale bashing, helped us get promoted and couldn't get a deal that suited him. Why the need to laugh at his current misfortunes?

I hope he has a great season and wish him well.

Reading the recent story about Ben Roberts tracking Many Ryan, I wonder if the seemingly peculiar choice that Stockdale made was less to do with money and more to do with him not wanting to be a bench warmer?

Either way, he was a massive part of our promotion push and a top man for the way he conducted himself at the time of the shoreham air crash.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Reading the recent story about Ben Roberts tracking Many Ryan, I wonder if the seemingly peculiar choice that Stockdale made was less to do with money and more to do with him not wanting to be a bench warmer?

Either way, he was a massive part of our promotion push and a top man for the way he conducted himself at the time of the shoreham air crash.

Stockdale knew he wasn’t fancied to be #1 in Premier League so fair play on him staying at a level where he could play regularly

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Stockdale knew he wasn’t fancied to be #1 in Premier League so fair play on him staying at a level where he could play regularly
I agree, Birmingham a bit of a car crash club. Hoped he's have chosen a better option, but maybe that was the only offer he got. Find it surprising if so

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I agree, Birmingham a bit of a car crash club. Hoped he's have chosen a better option, but maybe that was the only offer he got. Find it surprising if so

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Would have thought he was sold the dream by Redknapp. They signed him as a statement of intent and I remember there was talk of them signing John Terry and Ashley Cole at the time. All went a bit belly up soon after!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Would have thought he was sold the dream by Redknapp. They signed him as a statement of intent and I remember there was talk of them signing John Terry and Ashley Cole at the time. All went a bit belly up soon after!
But therein lies the obvious mistake. Who would believe 'Onest 'Arry?

I can understand DS taking the cash, but if his decision to join Birmingham with that useless chancer in charge was anything more, then you have to question his sanity.

Mind, didn't he start a business with Leon Knight..... And he was always super touchy on Twitter if anyone made the slightest comment about him.

Loved Stockdale as a player for us. Clearly a decent bloke as well, but maybe not the sharpest. Still think he could have played for England if he'd stayed, used the pressure to improve and fought for his place.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I loved Stockdale when he played for us too but he left for a huge pay rise at Brum and his weight gain since leaving rather suggests Stockdale isn't particularly committed and so he probably isn't too bothered about relegation.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
But therein lies the obvious mistake. Who would believe 'Onest 'Arry?

I can understand DS taking the cash, but if his decision to join Birmingham with that useless chancer in charge was anything more, then you have to question his sanity.

Mind, didn't he start a business with Leon Knight..... And he was always super touchy on Twitter if anyone made the slightest comment about him.

Loved Stockdale as a player for us. Clearly a decent bloke as well, but maybe not the sharpest. Still think he could have played for England if he'd stayed, used the pressure to improve and fought for his place.

I'm probably being whooshed here but Stockdale for England? At. Football?

Jimmy Grimble

Christ how slow did he look getting up from his arse there.

He was at fault for the first too.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Great Championship keeper and was disappointed when he left however he made too many howlers to be good enough in the Premier League.

That double penalty save against Massive will always put a smile on my face though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Poor choice from Stockdale but always wish him well, was a rock for us last season

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm probably being whooshed here but Stockdale for England? At. Football?
He was one injury away from it last season. Best keeper in the Championship and the rest were either totally out of form or carrying injuries. Perhaps you didn't notice.

Point being if he'd stepped up his game rather than taking semi retirement and a fat wedge from 'arry then who knows.

Btw he made the squad when he was at Fulham.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here