Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pronouncing Locadia

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I had assumed loh-KAR-dee-ah, but the commentators on Super Sport have gone with lokka-DEE-ah.

Gabby Logan also went with that on MOTD. I mocked her. It seems I was being deeply unfair. Sorry Gabby!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I had assumed loh-KAR-dee-ah, but the commentators on Super Sport have gone with lokka-DEE-ah.

I think you assumed correctly. Forvo is good sometimes but I’d say that one Dutch speaker is outweighed by several Dutch YouTube videos - including one where he’s there as they say his name - that all call him Lo-CARD-deeah.

Jul 7, 2003
That's no recommendation - he couldn't pronounce Uwe for a whole season. Has he got it right yet?

He still can't get Schelotto's name right either - always calls him ES-schelotto.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Dutch friends both independantly say loh-KAR-dee-ah so yes you are correct. Don't expect many commentators to bother doing their jobs and researching the main story they focus on during a match though. The ones who DO, might actually research other things too and be the ones who's opinions are worth noting.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Bloke next to me on Saturday kept calling him Lo-car-doe

I do him his real surname (correctly pronounced too) and he looked at me like I was mad

el punal

That clown who used to manage Luton (when he wasn't curb crawling') pronounced Coventry 'Cardiff' when discussing the game. As a matter of interest, he regularly pronounces a certain player's name as 'Shimbombo'. Can you name that player? #prayforpleat

Remember the old joke? - How can you tell if a woman's a prostitute? She always has a pleat up her skirt. Boom - bloody - boom!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Dutch friends both independantly say loh-KAR-dee-ah so yes you are correct. Don't expect many commentators to bother doing their jobs and researching the main story they focus on during a match though. The ones who DO, might actually research other things too and be the ones who's opinions are worth noting.

Most commentators work hard on getting pronunciations correct. Which is probably why Jonathan Pearce called him Lo-CARD-ia, unlike Gabby Logan.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's a Spanish looking name which is why presenters are pronouncing it lokka-DEE-ah as Spanish don't pronounce A as AR. If it a Dutch pronunciation then it will be loh-KAR-dee-ah

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
His family is originally from the former Dutch Caribbean dependency of Curaçao, where the most widely spoken language is Papiamentu, an African creole with Portuguese, Dutch and Spanish influences. If that's any help ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here