Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ESU and WSU open for Coventry game

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Why would anyone want to sit in east upper anyway? I had to move after a year for fear of disturbing the dead bodies up there..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why would anyone want to sit in east upper anyway? I had to move after a year for fear of disturbing the dead bodies up there..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I do. Lots of peace and quiet- except for the odd creaking fist pump attempt when goals are scored. Usually scuppered by arthritic shooting pains. Gladys fist is permanently in an aggressive clinch as a result. Still, she gets no grief in the Post Office queue.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Indeed it is... e-mail from Paul Barber:

"Dear [Moshe]

Thank you for your email.

The answer to your question is very simple: economics.

We have cut ticket prices and included travel, while retaining just 45% of revenues. We are also playing a League 2 team who we have played at the Amex previously.

We failed to get close to breaking 20,000 for a 3rd Round game against our biggest Premier League rivals having opened the entire stadium.

And, yes, we can think of lots of reasons why the crowd was much lower than hoped for this this game. It was however still a one-off cup match against our biggest rivals!

Fortunately, a live TV fee and ticket prices much higher than those being charged for Coventry’s visit, ensured that the club didn’t make an embarrassing loss on this game.

So, in short it makes no sense for us to open all of the stadium - a hugely costly exercise when only 45% of revenues are retained by our club and ticket prices have been set low.

As we have said from the day tickets went on sale for Coventry - over a week ago - upper tiers will be open subject to sales. We’d be delighted to open at least one.

Up to yesterday, we still had many lower tier tickets left. Once they are all but sold, we will look to open the East Upper tier. Sales will determine whether we open West Upper.

Also, I’m afraid it is absolute nonsense to suggest the club hasn’t promoted the game - there were 6 separate references in Saturday’s home match programme alone!

Added to website coverage, social media coverage, national and local media reports, as well emails to our database, I can assure you the game has been well promoted.

Also, the FA Cup 5R is a “fixture weekend” for Premier League clubs - meaning no other games are prior scheduled - so the majority of fans look out for a game on this weekend.

Far from being “mean spirited”, all supporters have had the opportunity to buy tickets in 3 different home areas for over a week. We don’t guarantee to open all areas.

However, to further assist and accelerate sales and open more areas of the stadium sooner, season ticket holders could also buy 4 tickets each from day 1!

Finally, it doesn’t make any sense to make untruthful statements about “overwhelming demand” - there hasn’t been. Entirely as expected, sales have been slow and steady.

Let’s hope we can get an upper tier open this weekend - and fill it. It is after all a great opportunity for us to reach an FA Cup quarter final for the first time since 1985!

Best wishes, Paul"
That's all fair enough, although with foresight it could be seen that the palace gate was going to be small - the loud collective groan when the draw was made gave it away. If the fixtures had been reversed in the league, and we had just played them at Selhurst, it would have been a different story, but not to be.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Anyone thought about how much money is actually involved here.
300 x £18 = £540 and that's at top wack. Average would be a lot less.
The club are really waiting for £540 in the till?

But then there are the other costs to open Upper East.
(these figures are rough). 50 staff at £40 = £2000
Sales at average £12 at 3000 seats £36000
Anyone see a profit there? I do. Even if they open it block by block and one entrance and one kiosk, still a profit.

Is that you Diane?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Anyone thought about how much money is actually involved here.
300 x £18 = £540 and that's at top wack. Average would be a lot less.
The club are really waiting for £540 in the till?

But then there are the other costs to open Upper East.
(these figures are rough). 50 staff at £40 = £2000
Sales at average £12 at 3000 seats £36000
Anyone see a profit there? I do. Even if they open it block by block and one entrance and one kiosk, still a profit.

Your maths are not very good £5400 not £540.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
310 left.

ESU on sale at 0948 tomorrow....... (prediction)

These will surely go at some point tomorrow? Then they will open the East on Saturday. They will sell about 200 a day until kick off. There will be no need to open the Upper West.*

* You have not been charged for this information.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Be a poor effort if we don't sellout. We have given ourselves a fantastic opportunity and yet many aren't prepared to support it because they wasn't to sit upstairs, poor effort TBH.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
There really isn't much of a demand from Brighton fans. If they do open the ESU I suspect it won't get anything like sold out.

In the old days they'd have this match as pay on the day/gate, but I guess that sort of thing doesn't happen anymore.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
There really isn't much of a demand from Brighton fans. If they do open the ESU I suspect it won't get anything like sold out.

In the old days they'd have this match as pay on the day/gate, but I guess that sort of thing doesn't happen anymore.
It will sell ok

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham

Hello Paul :wave:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
These will surely go at some point tomorrow? Then they will open the East on Saturday. They will sell about 200 a day until kick off. There will be no need to open the Upper West.*

* You have not been charged for this information.

Lol. 200 a day. Maybe a bit more than that on the first couple of days. I'll be very suprised if east upper doesn't almost sell out. If not sell out.

The club need to get the upper tiers on sale tomorrow as I assume people are more likely to purchase tickets at the weekend if they are 50/50 to go or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here