Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should you be allowed to marry...........

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Should you be allowed to marry someone without first seeking legal advice and a pre-contract drawn up ?

Following on from another thread re; Divorce, it strikes me odd, that we are allowed to enter into a really binding contract while we are effectively 'drunk' on emotions.........only to find out years later as we ( not all...but a lot) sober up, that we are then bound by law to an often unequal tearing up of that contract.

If we buy a house, every nook and cranny legally is covered and takes months to conclude, but marriage......oh, go on luv....do it....just sign here and grab a couple of witnesses off the street. All done in 20 minutes. No background checks needed,

Thoughts ?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Should you be allowed to marry someone without first seeking legal advice and a pre-contract drawn up ?

Following on from another thread re; Divorce, it strikes me odd, that we are allowed to enter into a really binding contract while we are effectively 'drunk' on emotions.........only to find out years later as we ( not all...but a lot) sober up, that we are then bound by law to an often unequal tearing up of that contract.

If we buy a house, every nook and cranny legally is covered and takes months to conclude, but marriage......oh, go on luv....do it....just sign here and grab a couple of witnesses off the street. All done in 20 minutes. No background checks needed,

Thoughts ?

You old romantic.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Thoughts ?
its a good idea but youd be constantly updating the contract as circumstances change

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
its a good idea but youd be constantly updating the contract as circumstances change

Fair comment....but perhaps cheaper financially and more importantly, emotionally in the long run ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Marriage is pointless, in my opinion. It doesn’t give your relationship anymore stability, commitment or security. In fact I’d go so far as to say it weakens some relationships as one or both partners stop making the effort in the mistaken belief that they’re secure.

I bet we all know at least one couple that were happily together for years, got married and then separated within 12-18 months.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Marriage is pointless, in my opinion. It doesn’t give your relationship anymore stability, commitment or security. In fact I’d go so far as to say it weakens some relationships as one or both partners stop making the effort in the mistaken belief that they’re secure.

I bet we all know at least one couple that were happily together for years, got married and then separated within 12-18 months.

if only..............

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Sounds like planning to fail, somehow.

Now that makes a lot more sense!

It is sad I agree, but the ONS in 2015 said that 42% of marriages end in divorce. I doubt if any of that number 'planned' to fail when they got married.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

It gives women a substantial amount more security, even with the feminist push for equality...

I don't know a single male that has got a divorce that hasn't been totally shafted by it. Why men agree to marry now (beyond genuine religious reasons) is beyond me...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Disagree. I know a lot of couples who were happily together for years, had kids, didn't get married and then found it all to easy to separate, but fewer married couples for whom the same happens. At the very least, marriage gives you something to fight for.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe we should just have renewable contracts.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Marriage laws should be updated to reflect the 21st century! On marriage declare your assets, then if you get divorced you take out anything you bought to the marriage and then divide anything equally that has been made during the marriage by whichever partner that has made it. Equality should work both ways. A big percentage of the population are divorcees with children from the first marriage and quite rightly any assets that have been acquired should be protected for those kids (unless you chose otherwise).

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

This would be the birth of the ‘Marriage Industrial Complex’. Family law is already making billions through over intervention in otherwise straightforward divorce cases. Let them set the terms of a relationship and you’ll be filling the coffers of fat cat lawyers for evermore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It gives women a substantial amount more security, even with the feminist push for equality...

I don't know a single male that has got a divorce that hasn't been totally shafted by it. Why men agree to marry now (beyond genuine religious reasons) is beyond me...

Whilst I'm not looking to get divorced any time soon my wife earns a lot more than me and is from a far wealthier family than me. I'd be minted if we got divorced as I married up for definite.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Whilst I'm not looking to get divorced any time soon my wife earns a lot more than me and is from a far wealthier family than me. I'd be minted if we got divorced as I married up for definite.

Lucky lad. And well played. But I'd imagine you're in a bit of a minority.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here