Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio commentary abroad

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
If the EFL wanted the BBC to stream live radio commentary via the local stations online then they would let them or charge them appropriately for the right to do so.
However they think, and have done for years now, that they can make more ££ licencing the rights as part of the various Player packages which cost c£50 a year for a few commentaries and highlights. ( in contrast the licence fee is £145.50 a year for multiple tv and radio stations, iPlayer, a free BBC News website, 6 Music and Strictly Come Dancing and has been since 2010) .

Suggest you direct your fire at the EFL.

Why can I listen to Crawley then? Also why do other BBC regional stations allow online streaming of matches? Yes I know it's a shite deal with player that's the reason, and not the economic scenario you give. It's the principle that you pay a licence fee and it's free to air on FM, yet we are forced to listen to Crawley online. It is a scam! The BBC sold it, even though we pay for it. Just because you tell me where to direct my criticism, doesn't make the point invalid.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Or you can simply follow the matchday thread, and wonder why nobody has posted anything for ten minutes before realising that they have moved the bloody kick-off time again...

I go to pretty much all home games and a few aways, so its not an issue a lot of the time. I just dont get how clubs/league can penalise fans who dont live in local radio area, when they are often already spending more time/money to see their team than locals.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You listen to Radio Sussex for free, but whinge when others want to do the same? Priceless!

My beef is that match commentary should be free to all or none.

I don't make the rules. Local radio is included in the BBC licence fee, which doesn't apply to those in Spain and elsewhere. I see you are an uber fan - well done you.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I don't make the rules. Local radio is included in the BBC licence fee, which doesn't apply to those in Spain and elsewhere. I see you are an uber fan - well done you.

I think if you pay a licence fee, you should be able to access content from the BBC regardless of where you are in the world. We should have a login and password and be able to access everything everywhere. There is simply no excuse.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Local radio is included for all of us licence fee payers except when match is on!

Strange comment re Uber fan. You were the one banging on in your first post about financially supporting the club which I do.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think if you pay a licence fee, you should be able to access content from the BBC regardless of where you are in the world. We should have a login and password and be able to access everything everywhere. There is simply no excuse.

So does the BBC, they are trying to move in this direction with iPlayer, incidentally so do I however the BBC has to own the original material or acquires the rights to worldwide distribution.

I haven't tried radio garden, I do use tune-in radio I suspect that like tune-in, radio garden will be blocked from distributing our games online. We have many ex-pat supporters, who are happy to pay for Seagulls World, come back for the odd game and get involved in player sponsorship and the like and I have no problem at al with this. I got involved in this thread yesterday as the were a couple of people who appeared to be trying to avoid paying anything.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So does the BBC, they are trying to move in this direction with iPlayer, incidentally so do I however the BBC has to own the original material or acquires the rights to worldwide distribution.

I haven't tried radio garden, I do use tune-in radio I suspect that like tune-in, radio garden will be blocked from distributing our games online. We have many ex-pat supporters, who are happy to pay for Seagulls World, come back for the odd game and get involved in player sponsorship and the like and I have no problem at al with this. I got involved in this thread yesterday as the were a couple of people who appeared to be trying to avoid paying anything.

Ok, I see your point re those trying to get it free, But really it's that we pay a licence fee, are able to listen to the EFL online on BBC stations but not our own team. They sold the rights and we are still paying for it. I don't pay a licence fee to listen to a team 30miles away. We should all have access to BBC content if you pay the fee. How daft that a licence paying Brighton fan can't listen to the match online in Surrey, but a non paying licence payer can listen via fm in Brighton? Worse than that you pay a licence fee, then are forced to pay for player. It's a joke.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The BBC sold it, even though we pay for it.

The BBC didn't sell it, the EFL have the rights for the Albion online and keep them for their Player product and licence the commentary from them. The BBC normally allow their radio stations to be streamed worldwide so don't routinely block their content for users.

But how the EFL then decide to carve it up between the Championship, their Player products and L1, L2 etc might not make sense , you've highlighted some of the inconsistencies, but it is up to them not the BBC.

And if its a scam, its not much of one , and its certainly not a BBC one. .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here