Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock booked for diving

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Every side have their cheats. Shame really. At least Duffy and Dunk are not like El Abd, going down clutching their face over nothing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Looked like a penalty to me too, sat just behind the goal.

Funny isn't it, I was front row behind goal and thought it was nailed on pen, guy I spoke to at HT 40 rows up said he dived. Harsh yellow but right when looking at TV later ... the beautiful game

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Every side have their cheats. Shame really. At least Duffy and Dunk are not like El Abd, going down clutching their face over nothing.

True. Even at walking football, we have one guy like that - ex-army, works out at the gym, leads with his elbows, goes down screaming if you tap his ankle!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Funny isn't it, I was front row behind goal and thought it was nailed on pen, guy I spoke to at HT 40 rows up said he dived. Harsh yellow but right when looking at TV later ... the beautiful game

Must be down to angles as I'm sure if ref had my view he'd have given a penalty, even though having seen it on TV it obviously wasn't.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
But if a penalty had been given,would he have converted it?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Must be down to angles as I'm sure if ref had my view he'd have given a penalty, even though having seen it on TV it obviously wasn't.

Yep, my view it was an easy decision to give a penalty.

Was pretty stunned to see him give a yellow.

Just shows how difficult a job refs have got.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On Ch 5 Chris Iwellumo said that in real time it looked a cert penalty but when slowing it down the ref was right. How can he have been as he saw it in quick time so should have given a penalty not Baldock a card.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
On Ch 5 Chris Iwellumo said that in real time it looked a cert penalty but when slowing it down the ref was right. How can he have been as he saw it in quick time so should have given a penalty not Baldock a card.

Because the ref saw it from a completely different angle to anyone else watching, video replays have shown the initial decision by the ref to be correct.

Iwelumo will have seen a video of it, I doubt he was at the game, and his first reaction, like many of those who have posted on this thread who were there, was that Baldock had been fouled. However Chris Iwelumo and everyone else posting on this thread can admit when they got something wrong and realise that the ref was correct, something you may not understand.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because the ref saw it from a completely different angle to anyone else watching, video replays have shown the initial decision by the ref to be correct.

Iwelumo will have seen a video of it, I doubt he was at the game, and his first reaction, like many of those who have posted on this thread who were there, was that Baldock had been fouled. However Chris Iwelumo and everyone else posting on this thread can admit when they got something wrong and realise that the ref was correct, something you may not understand.

The end product was correct no problem but I do not see how the ref reached that decision at the time of the incident.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Looked an absolute stonewall penalty from where I was sitting.

I was really surprised to see Baldock booked for simulation.

Not on the highlights disappointingly, anyone elese have a view?

You went, I love you.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The end product was correct no problem but I do not see how the ref reached that decision at the time of the incident.

So you are saying he should have got it wrong?

The ref had a pretty decent view, possibly one player slightly obscuring this view. He is at a nice angle to see the challenge but about 20-25 yards behind play. His view is unique and cannot be replicated by the TV replay and totally different to the Brighton players at the game. I've included a screenshot to show the position of the ref, it doesn't show what he actually saw though so cannot be used to judge that.

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 17.43.59.png

So it paid for him not being able to keep up with play. No problem really as it wasnt an important decision even a yellow for Baldock.

No ref should be that close to the play, maybe he should be around 5 or so yards closer but certainly not right on top of play which is what you are implying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here