Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Albion mamager?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm sure that this isn't the first time this question has been asked. The reason I'm asking it now is that I've just read a biography of Brian Clough - to some a legend, arguably the best club manager of all time and 'the best manager England never had' . Older NSC readers will recall his time at the Albion in the 1970s was something of a car crash: he was seldom there and when he was he intimidated, bullied and confused most of the players. The results were pretty crap too, including an 8-2 home defeat by Bristol Rovers and getting knocked over in the Cup by Walton and Hersham.

So who do you think is the worst manager that the club has had? This could be in terms of results, style of football, buying/selling of players, terrible communication with fans or just being plain clueless, out of his depth and leaving the club poorer than he found it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Either Jeff Wood or the second coming of Micky Adams.Clough was before I was born.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Sadly, Jimmy Case. An absolute legend as a player, but his, er, personal problems meant he was seldom on top of the job of manager.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Worst Albion mamager?

Your mum.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Brian Clough, for the simple reason ,I don't think he gave a flying f--k for the club.
Other managers who failed,may have been poor managers, but I reckon they all cared.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's a two-way tie between Sami and Jimmy.

On balance I'd say Sami edges it. He had everything at his disposal and didn't deliver. Jimmy on the other had, whilst not very good, was working for a clown and trying to do a job in a poisonous environment.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sami based on what resources he had. Took a squad that had made the playoffs two years running and made them relegation candidates.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sami based on what resources he had. Took a squad that had made the playoffs two years running and made them relegation candidates.

Played 26, W6 D10 L10. Took us to the 4th round of the League cup. Hinsh lost 10 in a row, after 1 win and 1 draw.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As a proud wee wee in the bed man, Sami.

His losing run at Bayern Leverkeusen before coming here and getting Zurich relegated afterwards should be included in his uselessness.

Last edited:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
So who do you think is the worst manager that the club has had? .

Either Jeff Wood or the second coming of Micky Adams..

Martin Hinshelwood.

Sadly, Jimmy Case. An absolute legend as a player, but his, er, personal problems meant he was seldom on top of the job of manager.

It's a two-way tie between Sami and Jimmy.

On balance I'd say Sami edges it. He had everything at his disposal and didn't deliver. Jimmy on the other had, whilst not very good, was working for a clown and trying to do a job in a poisonous environment.

All valid shouts, and a pretty compelling case for Sami.

Personally, I'd go for Mickey Adams II. His tactics were SO bizarre, his team selections SO mental, that it was almost like he was TRYING to lose.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I can't say TINSELHEAD as he had to LISTEN to Dick TIGHT thinking he WAS Bob Paisley every day, the same with the LARDY Jocko CLOWN Magoo. If we don't go UP this season then for me it will have to be Chris Hughton

Did you notice how 'Magoo' got on last night, [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] ?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
IMG_0592.JPG

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I have to agree.

Also, and I'm not saying Hinshelwood was a good appointment, but contrasting his to Sami's, Hinshelwood did get shafted slightly. Dick Knight went on a summer holiday, the appointment was held back, and Hinshelwood got drafted in just before the season kicked off as a sort of "he'll do", but with no time to bring anyone in or have a proper pre season. Sami did, as you say, have a lot going for him in terms of the resources and time to plan.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here