Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Stockdale

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think you have to give a lot of credit in relation to his improvement to Ben Roberts. Especially the penalty saves where Ben does all the research on potential penalty takers beforehand

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
List please.

Reading away definitely for the first goal
We then lost two in a row to Newcastle & Brentford and he didn't cover himself in glory in either game although I wouldn't say he dropped a clanger in either.
Preston at home he and Bruno equally culpable
Villa at home I thought he could have done better for their goal

For me his season completely turned around for the come from behind victory against Fulham at home, he played a pivotal role in our victory and since then he's been on an incredible run of form and saved us a fair few points.

On balance his early season form was patchy at best, was this down to the pre-season injury and starting the season a little out of shape? He is now showing form which puts him amongst the best Championship keepers.

Stumpy Tim

We then lost two in a row to Newcastle & Brentford and he didn't cover himself in glory in either game although I wouldn't say he dropped a clanger in either.

For me his season completely turned around for the come from behind victory against Fulham at home, he played a pivotal role in our victory and since then he's been on an incredible run of form and saved us a fair few points.

On balance his early season form was patchy at best, was this down to the pre-season injury and starting the season a little out of shape? He is now showing form which puts him amongst the best Championship keepers.
So no clangers then

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Best 3 in no order.

Peter Grummitt
Eric Steele
David Stockdale

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

What are you expecting? Some composite of Gordon Banks, Dino Zoff, David De Gea and Manuel Neuer?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What are you expecting? Some composite of Gordon Banks, Dino Zoff, David De Gea and Manuel Neuer?

Not really just putting some balance to it. There is no doubt in my mind he struggled for the first three months of the season. Since then he has been nothing short of superb.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

So in 25 games there are possibly 3 goals that he could have done better with, one of which (Reading away) you think was 'definitely' a clanger (debateable). I can't personally see how the word 'patchy' can used in any shape or form for him this season. No player is error-free, but for a keeper his form and record so far this season is remarkable.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
So in 25 games there are possibly 3 goals that he could have done better with, one of which (Reading away) you think was 'definitely' a clanger (debateable). I can't personally see how the word 'patchy' can used in any shape or form for him this season. No player is error-free, but for a keeper his form and record so far this season is remarkable.

He could still command his area better. Some of his punches create further pressure with the needless concession of corners or a second ball coming back into the box.

Again he has done this better from late Nov better but for me his early season form wasn't great.

He could still command his area better. Some of his punches create further pressure with the needless concession of corners or a second ball coming back into the box.

Even in Friday's game there was an inexplicable moment in the second half when him and Dunk got into a fearful tangle that was down to Stockdale not coming for a high ball. He is similar to Bruno for me, a popular player because most of his game is strong, but who remains capable of the odd defensive blip

The coach himself is the one who tops him, Roberts for me should have got player of season in our play off winning season in 2004 but some took against him for some odd early season sweeper keeping that didn't quite work out ha ha

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I've always been a critic of Stockdale yes a brilliant shot stopper yet weak on crosses. Over the last month or so I feel he has improved on crosses and clearly worked on this aspect of his game. First noticed this at Fulham away where I thought he was MOTM.

I think the game has changed over recent years with all keepers as they tend to let the centre halves deal with crosses and stay on the line. Yes, Stockdale has won me over with some fantastic displays but a lot of credit must go to Dunk and Duffy for the protection they offer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've always been a critic of Stockdale yes a brilliant shot stopper yet weak on crosses. Over the last month or so I feel he has improved on crosses and clearly worked on this aspect of his game. First noticed this at Fulham away where I thought he was MOTM.

I think the game has changed over recent years with all keepers as they tend to let the centre halves deal with crosses and stay on the line. Yes, Stockdale has won me over with some fantastic displays but a lot of credit must go to Dunk and Duffy for the protection they offer.

Bullsh*t.

Anyone who begins a sentence I've always been a critic of Stockdale can't then say he's got better over the last month.

If you've always been a critic of Stockdale, overall you've always been wrong.
Sit in it and own your wrongness.

Last edited:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
People are forgetting how good Mark Beeney and John Kelsey were. Both were extremely good. Kusczak was also superb...Moseley for me was such a solid keeper and would have been called up for England had Clemence, Shilton or Corrigan not been in their prime during the early 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here