Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Jennings

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Burnley cup game was one of my first. Was passed over top of crowd. Can still remember goal from McNichol.Not far past half way and into North goal. England international Ray Pointer was playing for Burnley

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There were about 4 or 5 club houses there Bwian. I remember John Templeman and Eddie Spearritt living there as my mate lived opposite.

RIP Roy. A real Albion legend.

And Sully lived at Old Shoreham Road and Mile Oak Gardens(?).

Southwick-the choice of the Albion:D

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There were about 4 or 5 club houses there Bwian. I remember John Templeman and Eddie Spearritt living there as my mate lived opposite.

They didn't get pestered too much either. Pretty sure they (some) used to drink in Windmill (saloon bar of course).

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Roy Jennings - my main memory is of him always stepping up to take the penalties, and from (long) memory nearly always netting them. RIP

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He was before my time but I knew the name: one of the stalwarts of the Albion in the late 50s/early 60s

There can't be many from that promotion team of 57/58 left, with Jennings and Dennis Foreman leaving us recently,

Think Adrian Thorne and Steve Burtenshaw are still with us but have the rest gone to the great training ground in the sky?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
He was before my time but I knew the name: one of the stalwarts of the Albion in the late 50s/early 60s

There can't be many from that promotion team of 57/58 left, with Jennings and Dennis Foreman leaving us recently,

Think Adrian Thorne and Steve Burtenshaw are still with us but have the rest gone to the great training ground in the sky?

Eric Gill and Jack Bertolini are still here too. Both stalwarts. As for Roy Jennings, his Albion career was ending as mine as a fan was beginning. I never heard anyone with a bad word to say about him: definitely a club legend. RIP.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Can you imagine our current finest bouncing their grandchildren on their knee saying "I only missed two games through injury"

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing

Didn't Ron Greenwood live along there too while he was England manager

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My first Albion "hero". As Shankly would have said, he was a Colossus. Hard as nails, drove his team on, sleeves rolled up and baggy shorts hitched up at the sides. A great man. I was fortunate to meet him at the Centenary dinner at the Brighton centre and tell him, and get him to sign my shirt. He appeared to be humbled, but that's what footballers were like in the 50s and 60s.
RIP Roy

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Eric Gill and Jack Bertolini are still here too. Both stalwarts. As for Roy Jennings, his Albion career was ending as mine as a fan was beginning. I never heard anyone with a bad word to say about him: definitely a club legend. RIP.

Ah, Eric Gill. Glad to hear that he's still with us - he definitely was a legend, people used to speak about him in reverent tones. Bertolini wasn't part of the promotion team, however, he joined the following season.

I made the suggestion to the Roar team that we should interview one of these players: there really aren't many left now and it would be fascinating to listen to what they had to say about football in the days of maximum wage, no subs, no floodlights, only one promotion spot and no nutrition guidance.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
He was an uncompromising defender and never took any prisoners.
But was never dirty (well not often) or aggressive.

Great guy & us oldies will always remember him for being an absolute rock in defence. RIP Roy.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here