Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Sidwell signed

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember going to highfield road in c 2003 and seeing us draw 0 0 with cov. I am sure that I walked away saying "That ginger fella was the best player in the pitch". Therefore 12 years (or so) later this is an amazing signing.

Wasn't that his last game for us? I know Pardew was there watching him.

Gary Hart went to the game yesterday, but bought a ticket when he arrived. He's a friend of Bobby, too. He wasn't wined & dined in the boardroom.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Gary Hart went to the game yesterday, but bought a ticket when he arrived. He's a friend of Bobby, too. He wasn't wined & dined in the boardroom.

Pardew is a @#%$&+%#

Gary Hart is a legend in my book.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
My response was to your 'ten years too late' comment - i.e, ten years after their prime.

Kin ell; I was just agreeing with what the fella said in post # 6. Would rather have had him 10 years ago.

Bored of this now. You are right, I am wrong.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Was it the Boardroom or the Players Lounge ? If it was The Boardroom then there is probably something in this story. If it was the Players Lounge then he could correctly just have been Bobby's Guest. I think the players only get 2 tickets per match free, although they can purchase more. That was a Directive by HMRC around 2005 to all football clubs that any more than 2 hospitality tickets to Football players had to be treated as a Taxable Benefit and Employers NIC paid on it.

There is also a Managers Lounge, where the Manager's and Coaches guests go into. That's mostly friends and family of the Coaches and Management team, although you can come across Players Agent's in there occasionally and there is no numbers restriction but it rarely exceeds 20

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Was it the Boardroom or the Players Lounge ? If it was The Boardroom then there is probably something in this story. If it was the Players Lounge then he could correctly just have been Bobby's Guest. I think the players only get 2 tickets per match free, although they can purchase more. That was a Directive by HMRC around 2005 to all football clubs that any more than 2 hospitality tickets to Football players had to be treated as a Taxable Benefit and Employers NIC paid on it.

There is also a Managers Lounge, where the Manager's and Coaches guests go into. That's mostly friends and family of the Coaches and Management team, although you can come across Players Agent's in there occasionally and there is no numbers restriction but it rarely exceeds 20

Do you go in Hughton's room and watch PAINT dry ? I hear that is one of the THINGS that EXCITES him

Lush

Mods' Pet
Have a listen to Chris' post match interview where he is directly asked the question about whether he is interested in signing Sidwell.

He knows how to skip round a question but he will never openly lie in an interview. He makes a mistake and gets caught in two minds on whether to skip round the question OR answer truthfully and he nearly says Yes I would be interested or No that's not what we are actually looking for.

He then corrects himself and avoid the question. That leaves us no further forward but I have a feeling he would be interested in him but probably he may want more money than we would be willing to pay for someone that age, hence he danced round the question, just in case nothing comes of it.

Can't really be sure though but is was very strange to see him get caught that way during an interview. The journalist did very well to make him at ease enough to almost give something away in a press interview.

I imagine that there is a total transfer budget for January - and if a striker we want agrees to come at a price we can afford, there may not be much left in the pot for Sidwell.

If we have to lower our sights on a striker, Sidwell may be possible. Negotiations will take place up to the wire, which is probably why Hughton is non-committal.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I imagine that there is a total transfer budget for January - and if a striker we want agrees to come at a price we can afford, there may not be much left in the pot for Sidwell.

If we have to lower our sights on a striker, Sidwell may be possible. Negotiations will take place up to the wire, which is probably why Hughton is non-committal.

First line of your post is 100% correct................but he did make a mistake in his interview. He is always so precise in interviews. You can almost feel him cringing and thinking, ''how do I back-track on this''

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The Stoke paper suggests a loan deal, and both the Albion or Fulham would be delighted with that. I can't see it though. The player is 33 and out of contract in 5 months. Sidwell will go to a club that is prepared to give him a 2 year contract.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fulham are embagoed. We should be able to ace the restricted terms they are allowed to offer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I certainly remember Sidwell playing a dozen games for us on loan back in 2002-03 (OK, had to look up the exact season) but didn't realise or had quite forgotten that he scored an impressive tally of FIVE goals for us in those dozen games :ohmy:

Yoda

English & European
I certainly remember Sidwell playing a dozen games for us on loan back in 2002-03 (OK, had to look up the exact season) but didn't realise or had quite forgotten that he scored an impressive tally of FIVE goals for us in those dozen games :ohmy:

Remember two for them being in injury time in the 2-2 draw against Burnley at home on my Birthday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

[MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] saw him in the boardroom. That's good enough for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here