Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Nice to get back into it this morning having not run much in October. 14km felt reasonably good after a 22 hour journey back from holiday yesterday - will sleep well tonight.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Nice to get back into it this morning having not run much in October. 14km felt reasonably good after a 22 hour journey back from holiday yesterday - will sleep well tonight.

I saw you running along London Road on my way back home in my mates car. Has the new group taken over the Nick Rivett one?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Keep matching my PB to the same second over 5k, how annoying is that.:tantrum:

Must remind myself what my PB is before I run, so I can at least nick a second off it in the final few metres!

Obvious as this sounds, but have you tried running faster in training? If you aren’t already, do at least one session of intervals during each week where you do a few reps of running at well above your 5K race pace for 2 mins at a time.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I saw you running along London Road on my way back home in my mates car. Has the new group taken over the Nick Rivett one?
Yes it’s effective the same people training for Spring/Autumn marathons but organised by Rogue Runners which formed after The Run Squad was dissolved.

D

Deleted member 2719

Obvious as this sounds, but have you tried running faster in training? If you aren’t already, do at least one session of intervals during each week where you do a few reps of running at well above your 5K race pace for 2 mins at a time.

okay I should do this, I am not out to be the fastest as I have a few injuries that pop up, I will be a bit more adventurous on my next run and see if I can break the cycle and not myself!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
okay I should do this, I am not out to be the fastest as I have a few injuries that pop up, I will be a bit more adventurous on my next run and see if I can break the cycle and not myself!

Intervals shouldn’t break you if you allow enough recovery time between them.

They’ll make you if you gradually increase the speed or length of them before you recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Intervals shouldn’t break you if you allow enough recovery time between them.

They’ll make you if you gradually increase the speed or length of them before you recover.

Okay, I slipped two discs back in the spring and it's taken alot of hard work to get back to this fitness, I also have no ACL in my right knee so I tend to toe out (car term!) on my right side, so I could be more efficient!
I am just want to tweak it a bit at a time.

Do you think I can still manage that without injury?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Okay, I slipped two discs back in the spring and it's taken alot of hard work to get back to this fitness, I also have no ACL in my right knee so I tend to toe out (car term!) on my right side, so I could be more efficient!
I am just want to tweak it a bit at a time.

Do you think I can still manage that without injury?

You don’t have to go made; 10-15 seconds faster per km than your 5K PB should be the sort of pace you’re aiming for on a 2 min interval. It’ll be enough to have you blowing heavily and need two mins at easy recovery pace.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Just completed the NYC, and managed a PB of 3.34, I trained terribly and a lot more hills than expected with the bridges, but absolutely perfect weather.

I've now completed 3 of the majors, Boston (2016) and London (2018) and got me thinking about how they compare!

I think I'm split on NYC & London... just both so well organised. - NYC is a pain in terms of getting to / from the start / finish line, but edged it with logistics on the course (I loved the ice freeze station towards the end). I'd place Boston in third (I didn't qualify and live there, so maybe that's why)

Has anyone managed all of the Abbotts world marathons? How did they compare for you?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I love the fact that we all love different race distances. Personally I love a 10-miler because sometimes a half just seems too long. But then I hate 10ks because to do it justice you have to go flat out for far longer than I'm comfortable with.

I remember talking to a sprinter about running who said the furthest he'd gone was about a mile – completely different type of running and mindset to us long-distance goons, plus it's over in a flash. Seems a bit of an alien concept to me...

D

Deleted member 2719

You don’t have to go made; 10-15 seconds faster per km than your 5K PB should be the sort of pace you’re aiming for on a 2 min interval. It’ll be enough to have you blowing heavily and need two mins at easy recovery pace.

:thumbsup: Thanks, got it.

I can manage that, I tend to have the first 4K at the same pace per KM then the last one I do is 40 secs faster and that without a interval.

So I will try this week.:banana:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just completed the NYC, and managed a PB of 3.34, I trained terribly and a lot more hills than expected with the bridges, but absolutely perfect weather.

I've now completed 3 of the majors, Boston (2016) and London (2018) and got me thinking about how they compare!

I think I'm split on NYC & London... just both so well organised. - NYC is a pain in terms of getting to / from the start / finish line, but edged it with logistics on the course (I loved the ice freeze station towards the end). I'd place Boston in third (I didn't qualify and live there, so maybe that's why)

Has anyone managed all of the Abbotts world marathons? How did they compare for you?

Congrats on your NYC time :clap2:

There's a guy in my running club who's done all six majors. He had to pay a fortune to do London through Marathon Tours because he kept failing to get in through the lottery. From what I've heard from him, I'd say Tokyo was his favourite. In fact, everyone I know who has done Tokyo has said they loved it. It's brilliantly organised as you'd expect, a flat course, and an amazing selection of nutrition on the route!

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Congrats on your NYC time :clap2:

There's a guy in my running club who's done all six majors. He had to pay a fortune to do London through Marathon Tours because he kept failing to get in through the lottery. From what I've heard from him, I'd say Tokyo was his favourite. In fact, everyone I know who has done Tokyo has said they loved it. It's brilliantly organised as you'd expect, a flat course, and an amazing selection of nutrition on the route!

Thanks Badger!

Tokyo sounds amazing, I tried for 2019 on the charity entry, but think I messed up the application - Based on that feedback, I'll keep Tokyo last and maybe do the charity tour route for entry.

I'm in for Chicago & Berlin next year on the ballot and hoping one comes off.

Another observation vs London.... Americans are so over excitable! On the way to the start-line, everyone was doing that woo hoo, usa, usa thing.... Everyone's also wearing their medals around town today, and I don't remember seeing much of that in London! - maybe I'm being a cynical Brit..

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=25288]BiffyBoy[/MENTION] - congratulations on the marathon time, and for ticking off New York! A lot of people I follow on Instagram were involved, from Brazilians to English people and a few Europeans. I really want to be involved in events like that one, hopefully in the next couple of years I'll be able to get involved. I've never run a race in a foreign country, that needs to change next year.

I have resumed my training plan with a vengeance today, I might push back the PB attempt to the 24th rather than the 17th of this month but I might stick to it and then have a go at getting higher up the table a second time, if I fail the first time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not strictly a running thing but I've been really struggling with an injury recently, heres the story.

I am fairly fit / active but mainly HIIT / Strength / Circuits work - between 30-60 minute blocks of work 4-5 times a week. Fairly mixed activities and between Cardio, Strength, Plyometrics.

On Monday I had some discomfort in what felt like my hip, like I needed to stretch my leg constantly or 'roll' my hip. Over the next 24 hours the pain got worse to the point I was in 10/10 agony without touching my leg or moving it, and could not lift it or do anything. I have a very high pain threshold so my missus knew it was bad if I was practically in tears of pain and unable to lift my leg at all. Ended up in a trip to A&E at 2am because the pain was that bad and nothing was helping it (ibuprofen, co-codomal, ice packs / heat packs)

Turned out I had really inflamed tendons from my knee to groin and was prescribed anti-inflammatories which have been working so I am at least mobile again but still some discomfort particularly lifting my leg up. Now the reason I am posting here is the Dr in A&E said it could have been bought on by running a lot of long distances or similar. Given I just wanted to get out of there at 4.30am I didn't really ask many questions but I am wondering now what I should do in terms of

1) Getting back into fitness, how long should I leave it.
2) Is there anything that can help this? I don't have any massages or see chiropractors but is this something I should be considering?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Pre-match Parkrun advice requested for Saturday please: there seem to be two parkruns accessible to central Cardiff, namely Cardiff and Grangemoor.

The former seems much better attended than the latter and may be the obvious choice, although Grangemoor is closer to the stadium. Has any NSC runner done either or both of them and can share their knowledge?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pre-match Parkrun advice requested for Saturday please: there seem to be two parkruns accessible to central Cardiff, namely Cardiff and Grangemoor.

The former seems much better attended than the latter and may be the obvious choice, although Grangemoor is closer to the stadium. Has any NSC runner done either or both of them and can share their knowledge?

Might join you again ! The one along the Taff looks extremely busy.......huge field every week....but we’re staying fairly close by.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Might join you again ! The one along the Taff looks extremely busy.......huge field every week....but we’re staying fairly close by.

Ah ok - I was erring towards that one, as it's a bit closer to our hotel. I'll look out for friendly faces in Albion colours among all the Welsh crowds!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not strictly a running thing but I've been really struggling with an injury recently, heres the story.

I am fairly fit / active but mainly HIIT / Strength / Circuits work - between 30-60 minute blocks of work 4-5 times a week. Fairly mixed activities and between Cardio, Strength, Plyometrics.

On Monday I had some discomfort in what felt like my hip, like I needed to stretch my leg constantly or 'roll' my hip. Over the next 24 hours the pain got worse to the point I was in 10/10 agony without touching my leg or moving it, and could not lift it or do anything. I have a very high pain threshold so my missus knew it was bad if I was practically in tears of pain and unable to lift my leg at all. Ended up in a trip to A&E at 2am because the pain was that bad and nothing was helping it (ibuprofen, co-codomal, ice packs / heat packs)

Turned out I had really inflamed tendons from my knee to groin and was prescribed anti-inflammatories which have been working so I am at least mobile again but still some discomfort particularly lifting my leg up. Now the reason I am posting here is the Dr in A&E said it could have been bought on by running a lot of long distances or similar. Given I just wanted to get out of there at 4.30am I didn't really ask many questions but I am wondering now what I should do in terms of

1) Getting back into fitness, how long should I leave it.
2) Is there anything that can help this? I don't have any massages or see chiropractors but is this something I should be considering?

Sorry to hear - very frustrating. I’d 100% get an appointment with a physiotherapist asap...........anything anyone says on here will be total guesswork. It’s extremely likely that Doc in A&E will have misdiagnosed, and certainly unlikely to have much of a clue as to the cause - and until you know both, it’s very difficult to recommend any kind of fix, and you might even make it worse.

Simple rule until you’ve got a clear diagnosis and treatment/rehab plan - it it hurts, don’t do it.

Not trying to be a smart arse by the way, just speaking from several painful experiences and learned some lessons the hard way [emoji17][emoji17]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here