Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Hughton Out" on Radio 5 Live

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Im particularly frustrated about Izzy - i think CH has definitely reined him in...
Interestingly (?) Sky pundits on "Goals on Sunday" made precisely the opposite observation that Izquierdo neglected his defensive duties by gambling on us winning a 50/50 ball and that led directly to Everton's second goal...

My 2pworth about Chris Hughton is that you would need to be a complete moron to characterise him as being philosophically devoted to cautious or boring football.

Our two seasons at the top of the Championship under CH were magnificent for the stylish, attacking football we played and the number of goals we scored. During Gus's reign I had got used to looking at Palace with their 4 or 5 fast and skilful offensive players in every line-up and wondering why we left ours on the bench and persisted with predictably painstaking possession football as our "identity". Hughton's emphasis on getting more pace in the team and getting the ball forward much more quickly was a breath of fresh air...

Moving into the PL he has tried to achieve the same style with the signings made but so far it is proving difficult to pull off. In recent games it has been obvious that (at this level) we lack some quality in midfield attacking play and, despite Sir Glenn's brilliance, we need some pace up front to give us more attacking threat. Everyone at the club must know the same and be working hard to try and help the team make further progress.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The truth is that we play very much with the handbrake on. There's quality throughout the side which isn't given the freedom to express itself and it's no clearer displayed than the decision to play a left back who can barely control a football rather than play Suttner who we know is a deadly crosser of a ball.

I'm not suggesting Hughton should lose his job, but I do think we should be expecting better performances away from home with more ambition and more confidence. We've built a good team, of good players. It doesn't matter that they didn't cost as much as many of our opponents, we have quality to match any team below the top 6. What we don't have is the mentality.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Maybe you should count how many tweets he's posted?
I have posted my opinion just once and I usually debate on here, not jumping all over anyone.
You seem to have a problem with me with your accusation, so I suggest you put me on ignore.

Read my comment again. People like you being key. Thanks for the suggestion, is it OK if I make my own mind up on that one?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Interestingly (?) Sky pundits on "Goals on Sunday" made precisely the opposite observation that Izquierdo neglected his defensive duties by gambling on us winning a 50/50 ball and that led directly to Everton's second goal...

My 2pworth about Chris Hughton is that you would need to be a complete moron to characterise him as being philosophically devoted to cautious or boring football.

Our two seasons at the top of the Championship under CH were magnificent for the stylish, attacking football we played and the number of goals we scored. During Gus's reign I had got used to looking at Palace with their 4 or 5 fast and skilful offensive players in every line-up and wondering why we left ours on the bench and persisted with predictably painstaking possession football as our "identity". Hughton's emphasis on getting more pace in the team and getting the ball forward much more quickly was a breath of fresh air...

Moving into the PL he has tried to achieve the same style with the signings made but so far it is proving difficult to pull off. In recent games it has been obvious that (at this level) we lack some quality in midfield attacking play and, despite Sir Glenn's brilliance, we need some pace up front to give us more attacking threat. Everyone at the club must know the same and be working hard to try and help the team make further progress.

Haven't you not grasped the fact, that idea of the PL, is to play boring/negative football.
The likes of Man Citeh and Liverpoooooool, are all doing it wrong :wink:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ok. So you do think that a 18 year old who has never played a minute of first team football (outside of cups) should keep out Locadia and Andone and given, that you want him on the pitch; Glenn Murray as well. Ok. fair enough.
How will we know?... this is the point, CH will bury him in DS or loan until he is 23 at least, then he is like to move on. We often see decent 18 or 19 year olds appearing on the scene with many clubs, we won't know if AC is one of those unless he is given some minutes...... and of course not in place of Murray.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
we have quality to match any team below the top 6. What we don't have is the mentality.

How many of our starting XI would have got into the Everton (who are not a top six) team?

Ryan...possibly but it is 50:50 at best.
Dunk and Duffy...one probably

Other than that I think we would be struggling.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Evening everyone, that was me on the radio earlier by the way. I initially called in because they were waffling on about this potential European super league nonsense and I wanted to talk about something that had actually happened. You’ve got to say something outlandish or they won’t put you on.

Anyway, much as I admire Hughton and obviously accept that he has done and continues to do a fantastic job I can’t help but feel frustrated when we opt to pass sideways or backwards when we have the opportunity to attack teams on the break. I’m talking about when we’ve been under pressure in our own box and the ball rebounds or gets cleared, ending up at the feet of Bong (if he doesn’t mis-control it) or Knockaert or March or Bissouma and we don’t just... attack. There’s no danger because all their players are in our half, and we’re bursting into theirs but we always slow it down, look sideways and then the opposition regroup and the opportunity is gone. It happened at Newcastle, at home to Wolves and today at Everton.

So, do I want Hughton to ‘step aside’? Not really. Would I like to see him be a little more positive now that we’ve clearly got a great defensive shape and are very tough to break down? Yes. Am I concerned that if we continue to ignore these opportunities to attack on the break we risk not scoring enough goals to keep us in the division? Maybe. And by the way, if we do get relegated it’s not really the end of the world.

So no, I’m not a Palace fan on a wind up and I’m not a kid and nor am I a recently arrived ‘jcl’. I’ve watched us at all four home grounds and up and down the country in all four divisions. The thing is, having got to the premier league and had a bit of a look I think it’s there for us to have a go at and maybe not just settle for the top 17 if Hughton can just release the reins a little bit now and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So who would you suggest to get in and get the same results with more attacking football? Because all the time CH is getting results and sitting clear of the relegation places (which, I'm assuming, is his first objective for the season), he ain't gonna change.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We’ve got 14 points and are without two of our key performers in Gross and Propper, with Solly March (in my opinion) floundering in a role he doesn’t really understand. CH is probably as frustrated as anyone.

Agree about Gross and Propper - however it is CH's decision to play Solly there - and he does have other options.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The truth is that we play very much with the handbrake on. There's quality throughout the side which isn't given the freedom to express itself and it's no clearer displayed than the decision to play a left back who can barely control a football rather than play Suttner who we know is a deadly crosser of a ball.

I'm not suggesting Hughton should lose his job, but I do think we should be expecting better performances away from home with more ambition and more confidence. We've built a good team, of good players. It doesn't matter that they didn't cost as much as many of our opponents, we have quality to match any team below the top 6. What we don't have is the mentality.
We don't have anything remotely like the quality of players that Everton and Wolves have... so that is "outside the top 8" - before you consider the unarguably stronger squads of Bournemouth, Watford and Leicester ...

consider the likes of West Ham and Palace and then, actually, there are really only 6-8 teams in the PL (notably Huddersfield, Newcastle, Burnley, Cardiff, Fulham & Southampton) with which we should be remotely expecting to go "toe-to-toe" away from home...

Our record in these away games (2018/19) is so far P2 W1 D1 L0 Pts 4. Let's hope for another good result at Cardiff, eh?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We don't have anything remotely like the quality of players that Everton and Wolves have... so that is "outside the top 8" - before you consider the unarguably stronger squads of Bournemouth, Watford and Leicester ...

consider the likes of West Ham and Palace and then, actually, there are really only 6-8 teams in the PL (notably Huddersfield, Newcastle, Burnley, Cardiff, Fulham & Southampton) with which we should be remotely expecting to go "toe-to-toe" away from home...

Our record in these away games (2018/19) is so far P2 W1 D1 L0 Pts 4. Let's hope for another good result at Cardiff, eh?

I don't agree with you. We've signed good quality players who can compete with any teams in this league. Our defence is as good a unit as any below the top 6. I think we play in a very negative frame of mind which is backed up by our lack of goals and genuine goalscoring opportunities. Safety first is our mantra, to the detriment of the enjoyment of away games.

Again, I'm not suggesting we start sacking managers for not winning 2 and 3 nil every week. We have a very good manager, I just wish he would have a bit more confidence in the quality of player he has assembled at the club.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The truth is that we play very much with the handbrake on.

I know this isn't the sort of handbrake you were referring to, but I just don't think we have the pace of many other sides. I've never really thought that March and Knockaert are quick, and I don't think Jahanbakhsh is either. Izquierdo is probably the only player we have with genuine speed of foot.

Pace is more important than its ever been, so we need to play in a way that both gives us a chance to defend against teams that are quick whilst giving ourselves some scoring options given our lack of it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I think the pundits have got it wrong. Kayal made the Albion challenge and both Dunk and Bong were slow to realise the danger.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I know this isn't the sort of handbrake you were referring to, but I just don't think we have the pace of many other sides. I've never really thought that March and Knockaert are quick, and I don't think Jahanbakhsh is either. Izquierdo is probably the only player we have with genuine speed of foot.

Pace is more important than its ever been, so we need to play in a way that both gives us a chance to defend against teams that are quick whilst giving ourselves some scoring options given our lack of it.

I'd say in sprint speed that both Jahanbakhsh and Knockaert are slow, Solly March is medium and only Izquierdo is quick, but without after burners, Acceleration over the first 12 yards is quicker for Jahanbakhsh and Knockaert. Furthermore Solly March does not use the medium speed he has got and does not accelerate over the important first few yards. I would not rule Schelotto out for the right wing spot.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I don't agree with you. We've signed good quality players who can compete with any teams in this league. Our defence is as good a unit as any below the top 6. I think we play in a very negative frame of mind which is backed up by our lack of goals and genuine goalscoring opportunities. Safety first is our mantra, to the detriment of the enjoyment of away games.

Again, I'm not suggesting we start sacking managers for not winning 2 and 3 nil every week. We have a very good manager, I just wish he would have a bit more confidence in the quality of player he has assembled at the club.

I think two wingers is far too attacking and surrenders possession with a too high % of long balls.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

I get where you're coming from, but speed of thought is often a more potent weapon than speed of foot. We labour for pace, yes, but coordination and wile should allow us to adventure more.
I think at the present time we might be a tad limited by being confined to formation that requires a number 10. March is not that, and that is fine, but with Gross out, and Davy, we shouldn't try to force-fit someone into his clever-thinking role. I'd rather we attempted to adapt to what we had available, with players of an understanding of their position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here