Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can the Amex create a big match atmosphere?

One hot tub one ambition

Apr 28, 2015
Hove
maybe try to encourage people to get in earlier? if the atmosphere is lively 10-15 mins off (as it was against Sheffield Weds:lolol:) its likely to carry on, especially if we manage to score before 30 mins

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Taking 2 hours getting to the ground 3 mins before kick off does not help, bloody hate mid week games

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Maybe the OP's angst should be released in the direction of our helpful transport providers. Choo choo.

image17.jpg

Maybe the OP's angst should be released in the direction of our helpful transport providers. Choo choo.

View attachment 79594

This old engine
makes it on time
Leaves Central Station
at a quarter to nine
Hits River Junction
at seventeen to
at a quarter to ten
you know it's trav'lin again

Drivin' that train
High on cocaine
Casey Jones you better
watch your speed
Trouble ahead
Trouble behind
and you know that notion
just crossed my mind

Trouble ahead
The Lady in Red
Take my advice
you be better off dead
Switchman sleepin
Train hundred and two
is on the wrong track and
headed for you

Drivin' that train
High on cocaine
Casey Jones you better
watch your speed
Trouble ahead
Trouble behind
and you know that notion
just crossed my mind

Trouble with you is
The trouble with me
Got two good eyes
but we still don't see
Come round the bend
You know it's the end
The fireman screams and
The engine just gleams

Drivin' that train
High on cocaine
Casey Jones you better
watch your speed
Trouble ahead
Trouble behind
and you know that notion
just crossed my mind:moo:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
There was no Fanzone & no Ring of Fire on Friday. Make of that what you will.

An STH mate who attends with a crowd of STH friends and their STH kids in ESL despaired that there was no 'fanzone' at the Villa and Norwich game - plus it seemed to us all that the PA seemed muted. As a result the atmosphere felt flat in the pre-match build up and never really got going after that. The fanzone vibe building towards GOSBTS really helps to build the atmosphere, especially for younger fans and seems infectious- plus I'm sure it must rub off on the players too. Maybe thats lost even on those 1901ers intent on snatching a last prawn sandwich (it's conspicuous how empty their tier is even after the kick off, in a rather embarrassing Wembley-esque manner) - or merely those bad lads/true fans whose greater priority is supping a final pint on the concourse.

The club should take note when the kids/STHs feel flat. They are the future (we were all young fans once) and help to ramp up the atmosphere, which in turn makes it feel special for all Albion fans, young and old - and hopefully that bit more intimidating for away fans.

Those of us that are long standing attendees at away games will understand when a stadium feels intimdating or not - and too often the Amex feels a bit tame - when we know what it can be capable of. Shirley we should be aiming to always make The Amex feel like the Sheff Weds play off, when it really rocked.

An STH mate who attends with a crowd of STH friends and their STH kids in ESL despaired that there was no 'fanzone' at the Villa and Norwich game - plus it seemed to us all that the PA seemed muted. As a result the atmosphere felt flat in the pre-match build up and never really got going after that. The fanzone vibe building towards GOSBTS really helps to build the atmosphere, especially for younger fans and seems infectious- plus I'm sure it must rub off on the players too. Maybe thats lost even on those 1901ers intent on snatching a last prawn sandwich (it's conspicuous how empty their tier is even after the kick off, in a rather embarrassing Wembley-esque manner) - or merely those bad lads/true fans whose greater priority is supping a final pint on the concourse.

The club should take note when the kids/STHs feel flat. They are the future (we were all young fans once) and help to ramp up the atmosphere, which in turn makes it feel special for all Albion fans, young and old - and hopefully that bit more intimidating for away fans.

Those of us that are long standing attendees at away games will understand when a stadium feels intimdating or not - and too often the Amex feels a bit tame - when we know what it can be capable of. Shirley we should be aiming to always make The Amex feel like the Sheff Weds play off, when it really rocked.

Really rocked!:facepalm:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
People seem to forget that there was a minutes silence before the game, quite rightly, but the effect would have been to stifle the pre match atmosphere.

Wrong question IMHO. The "atmosphere" is a natural reaction to what happens on the pitch, how the team is doing etc. It can't be manufactured.

So wrong! But probably right! Modern football has turned the pampered fans into a passive audience that is waiting for the football that they saw Barcelona playing on the tv!???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
if you were going to be honest with yourself you'd admit the Atmosphere has gone down hill ,why ? Apathy ,breed of new fans ,over zelous stewarding ,Ageing fan base what do you reckon
regards
DR

Whether it's downhill, or just different is a personal interpretation I guess. Everything you mention has had an impact, but some of it it essential to keep the game alive (like attracting new fans). 'M an Albion JCL but went to quite a few games in the 80s and 90s (not Albion), and I wouldn't much fancy repeating some of those days out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here