Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone in the world still genuinely buying the "extra training" story?! I can believe Hughton when he categorically denies Stephens refusing to play. But I can also completely believe the club and Stephens together deciding it's best for him not to play these couple of games whilst a potential transfer is sorted out.
There is also the fact that IF he is leaving we're going to have to live in a post-Dale world, so it's best to adjust now. It's no good playing him and him being an integral member of the team, and then we suddenly go "Oh no, Stephens has gone, didn't see that coming, now what do we do?"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder if now the issue is a stalemate on a new contract. Interest in him seems to have cooled, at least in terms of a lack of dodgy Twitter feeds and HITC articles. Maybe we're hashing out the terms of a new deal for him, similar to Dunk last season.

Personally would love for the next press release about him to start with "Stephens signs new five year deal".

Kayal has stated his commitment to the club in the Argus today, but he's still sorting out his contract, so negotiations seem to be very involved with all those who need to renew.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm going to sound ignorant now..but where do they wear it :moo:

Over their heart. It looks like bra straps for a flat chested man.

Cue wolf whistles when Hunt/Hall had to change their shirt at Oxford because of duplicate numbers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Kayal has stated his commitment to the club in the Argus today, but he's still sorting out his contract, so negotiations seem to be very involved with all those who need to renew.

Also, the fact Kayal has spoken to the press TWICE now about his contract situation, and Stephens not even once...

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, stupid science. What's wrong with halftime oranges and the magic sponge?

Yeah, and a few pints and a fag in the pub beforehand. Never hurt the likes of Peter Osgood and Charlie Cooke back in the 1970s.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I've no knowledge about the Stephens case but here's what I imagine is going on.

1. Stephens wants to play in the Premier League as soon as possible.
2 We knocked back several offers from Burnley who weren't prepared to go higher.
3. Stephens' agent has been working to find another Premier team who is interested. So far, there isn't one (hence no further transfer rumours)
4. While this goes on it's not his interests to play (in case he gets injured) and it's not in our interests because he won't have the focus. CH tested this by playing him against Rotherham and didn't entirely like what he saw.
5. Now two things can happen. Either there's a new bid from a Prem club in the next four days that meets our valuation. Or there's no new bid in which case contract negotiations with DS resume in earnest.

Aug 23, 2011
If he's here in September then great as long as we don t have the same issues in January.

Whilst i know what you mean, some part of me would love these issues in January as it no doubt would mean that we're playing well and right up in the mixer. You usually only get interest in your players if they're playing well

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I get that it has uses and certainly wasnt suggesting the science was stupid. Football used to be a far simpler game though

Agreed. Players were far less fit, and far less technically gifted.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Think its relatively recent along with the age of sports scientists and other such nonsense
The big question is, were we using them when Kemy was here? I'd love to see the results.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I am sorry but I don't believe that it is his fitness levels that are not right, but his mental levels may not be.

If it was his fitness levels, he would definitely have played v Oxford. You only get match fit by playing games, not training on your own.

However if Hughton rightly decides he is not part of our plans until AFTER the deadline and we know we have him for the season then fair enough. I think the way he is handling it is right, but you would have to be stupid to believe the fitness point I believe.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Head not in the right place won't be anywhere near the squad until either sold or the window closes imo.
Agree, just hope HE does not affect our excellent team spirit, vision and focus on promotion.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here