Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moody London locations?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Aylesbury Estate London

Accoring to Wiki
For years it was the first port of call for directors, producers and location scouts looking for grim backdrops to murder scenes, gun and drug storylines and gang-related crimes in soaps and gritty dramas. Due to pressure from local residents, Southwark council banned filming on the estate, but the ident continues to be aired regularly. All these representations have perpetuated the reputation of the estate... We felt we needed to record an alternative and more truthful version of the clip. We worked with film-maker Nick Street to make our own version that looks beyond the concrete exterior.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Do you mean East? I ran around London quite early on a Sunday morning recently. across Tower Bridge from South to North and then headed back West alongside the Thames. From the Tower of London you have to come away from the Thames for a bit before you can get back down to it, but it didn't seem that dodgy at all, although I do remember waking up some homeless folk as I came stomping through at some point of that stretch.

A group of us had been for a meal at St Catherines Dock, and decided to walk along the Thames, where you had ran, to walk off the evening and catch a tube home.
Obviously after a few sherbets the ambience of the area seemed a bit 'moody', but I'm no Spielberg :D

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The Truman Brewery, Brick Lane near Spitalfields.

He did say he didn't wanted piece and quiet. Brick Lane is manic whatever time of day you are round there.

Aylesbury Estate London

Anywhere around Elephant is moody, but isn't that the boarded up estate they have been trying to redevelop for a while?

Only place that is going to be quiet in Central London on a Sunday is the City. You might be able to find some "moody" bits around the older parts (Aldgate, Fleet Street, Temple).

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Fournier Street between Spitalfields and Brick Lane. Fantastic old houses, Used to get used a lot for historical dramas featuring horse drawn carriages. Very peaceful, think it might even be closed to traffic.

Else maybe the Greenwich Foot Tunnel under the Thames?

I was thinking of these old weavers houses around Fournier Street. reasonably quiet round there when I was there earlier this year. Some derelict and also some old shop fronts.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
He did say he didn't wanted piece and quiet. Brick Lane is manic whatever time of day you are round there.

Anywhere around Elephant is moody, but isn't that the boarded up estate they have been trying to redevelop for a while?

Only place that is going to be quiet in Central London on a Sunday is the City. You might be able to find some "moody" bits around the older parts (Aldgate, Fleet Street, Temple).

Or Barbican. Bleak 70s vision of the future. Dead quiet on Sundays around the estates.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
OMG ! I almost absolutely god mugged (for real) buying a guava in the market during a break in the shoot.

Be careful interacting with the locals when you explain the reason you are there is that basically you think it's a sh*thole.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Bunhill burial grounds.
Next to Old street, couple of stops up from London bridge.

photo6.jpg

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Idol Lane EC3
There's an old church there (St Dunstans in the East) that was ruined in the Blitz and it has been remade as a public garden
It's quite atmospheric

Otherwise I would suggest the arches by Limehouse on the DLR or most parts of Whitechapel which can be pretty scruffy or the maze of streets around Fieldgate Street

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Bunhill burial grounds.
Next to Old street, couple of stops up from London bridge.

View attachment 65849

That looks a lot like the Hardy Tree at St Pancras Old Church.

HardyTree.jpg

Actually the old church and St Pancras/ Camden wouldn't be a bad destination. You have a medieval church, moody grave yard and next door an old Victorian hospital where I used to work. Up from there you have the canal which can be quite moody in places, lots of arches under the railway line and some dodgy housing estates to add to the mix.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

no, that is the heygate.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

View attachment 65857

Actually the old church and St Pancras/ Camden wouldn't be a bad destination. You have a medieval church, moody grave yard and next door an old Victorian hospital where I used to work. Up from there you have the canal which can be quite moody in places, lots of arches under the railway line and some dodgy housing estates to add to the mix.

I'd second this - a great mix of the modern and old. And the Beatles had their photo taken on the marked bench in this
churchyard in the 60's as part of their mad day out.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013

View attachment 65857

Errrm, that's because it is!
My mistake, damn google images, although there is a similar thing going on at bunhill. Bunhill's stones seem much more drab, if that's a look you want.

bunhill.jpg

So St Pancras for the awesome tombstone tree, bunhill for the drabness.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I'd second this - a great mix of the modern and old. And the Beatles had their photo taken on the marked bench in this
churchyard in the 60's as part of their mad day out.

I wandered around that church yard every lunchtime for 6 months before I realised the history of the place. Absolutely fascinating and not a tourist in sight!

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I wandered around that church yard every lunchtime for 6 months before I realised the history of the place. Absolutely fascinating and not a tourist in sight!

Yep - I lived in London for 27 years and never knew this place existed. You know the large tombstone - they used that
apparently as the model for the red phone boxes we used to see (and still see to a certain extent) in London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here