Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What about a button the driver pushes 30 seconds before departure. Once pushed the doors can't be opened again. When all the doors are closed the driver is informed and can start to drive.

This would take out all guess work on behalf of the driver, all he has to do is push a button.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016

As has happened several times to me lately, when the camera's aren't working the trains do not stop at unmanned platforms such as Preston Park. 2 members of staff, a driver and a guard doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
As has happened several times to me lately, when the camera's aren't working the trains do not stop at unmanned platforms such as Preston Park. 2 members of staff, a driver and a guard doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

I must be missing something...Is anyone losing their jobs? are the guards that sell tickets now and check tickets still going to be employed checking and selling tickets?

What will happen when we eventually go to driverless trains?

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I must be missing something...Is anyone losing their jobs? are the guards that sell tickets now and check tickets still going to be employed checking and selling tickets?

What will happen when we eventually go to driverless trains?

To my knowledge guards do not exist on Thameslink trains who have adopted DOO already. The occasional ticket inspector shows their face every once in a blue moon. I imagine this is the model that the RMT are trying to prevent occurring on the Southern trains.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So the driver has to be able to deal with the possibility of somebody doing a death-or-glory lunge on to a train at the last possible second, while also having to deal with the possibility of the signals changing at the last possible second? Sounds far more safe and sensible to have two fully trained crew members working in tandem, each with their own separate and distinct responsibilities for the safe despatch of a train from a station.

Once again, I don't understand the point that's being made here. It takes the driver a few seconds to do one task, that task is done and then they do the next task. The driver can't move off without the doors being closed anyway, right? So the signal change which affects them after closing the doors would still have affected them if the guard had done it, is that not right?

I'm all for having two people on the train and I believe that it should continue like that. But I also think that the driver being responsible for closing the doors makes absolutely no difference whatsoever and is not worthy of the disgrace that the train service currently is. There is no good will toward either side of this petty squabble and the longer it goes on, the less sympathy I and many have for the union.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So the driver has to be able to deal with the possibility of somebody doing a death-or-glory lunge on to a train at the last possible second, while also having to deal with the possibility of the signals changing at the last possible second? Sounds far more safe and sensible to have two fully trained crew members working in tandem, each with their own separate and distinct responsibilities for the safe despatch of a train from a station.

excellent contrived example to distort the reality.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
They are not on the old 313 class, which is what I was originally referring to.

one would assume that if the rolling stock and or platforms are not upgrades to support DOO, they will not commence with DOO on those lines and stations.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
That's just it, they're not.

not what, not commencing on some lines? seems the likely case, read Uckfield line is definatly not going DOO, this will apply to any where without the upgrades required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here