Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro Elections....?

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
ok, so 500 million people in 28 countries will be represented by 751 people........for an EU gov that was never elected (this sentence is so mad it deserves it's own thread alone - but not for now).

Britain is one of eight countries - including Germany and France - to use a "closed list" system. So you vote for a party, rather than an individual. The parties themselves decide who goes on the candidate list for each of the 12 electoral regions.

A few things i'm confused about.

*If someone wins, do they win a seat in the EU parliament, and/or a seat in their local region - if so, does this override who won this seat in the national elections?

*Will the local winner be the "MP and MEP" for the local area? or will there be an MP and an MEP for each area.

* None of those standing for the 751 seats have policies against capitalistic corporations or central banks, and i would say a good 100m of the 500m are not being represented.

let the binfest commence :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not sure what you mean about them being MPs and MEPs, they're different things.

If you think that many people are not being represented then maybe you should stand yourself, you should get a fair few votes.

I think it's hilarious how many anti-EU parties there are. It shows how they can't get along with each other let alone anyone else.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
ok, so 500 million people in 28 countries will be represented by 751 people........for an EU gov that was never elected (this sentence is so mad it deserves it's own thread alone - but not for now).

Britain is one of eight countries - including Germany and France - to use a "closed list" system. So you vote for a party, rather than an individual. The parties themselves decide who goes on the candidate list for each of the 12 electoral regions.

*If someone wins, do they win a seat in the EU parliament, and/or a seat in their local region - if so, does this override who won this seat in the national elections?

*Will the local winner be the "MP and MEP" for the local area? or will there be an MP and an MEP for each area.

* None of those standing for the 751 seats have policies against capitalistic corporations or central banks, and i would say a good 100m of the 500m are not being represented.

1. EU and national elections are totally separate. One doesn't affect the other electorally.

2. No. An MEP (in this area) represents 'South East England' in the European Parliament. There are 10 MEPs for South East England (5 Con, 2 LibDem, 1 UKIP, 1 Green, 1 Lab at the 2009 elections). An MEP who becomes an MP - or vice versa - can choose to retain both roles if they wish (Ian Paisley did this), or relinquish one of their roles (Caroline Lucas stepped down as MEP to become an MP, her place was taken by Keith Taylor).

3. Do you know the policies of every single European candidate? That's an impressive piece of research you've undertaken.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

The EU gov is elected - that is what is happening tomorrow - electing MEP's, members of the European parliament. If you are saying we did not choose to have a European parliament, that is a different question, and one I am not qualified to answer.

MEP's are elected on a regional basis and it is proportional representation, so you are more likely to get some representation from the party you vote for.

The voting of MP's to Westminster is an entirely different process.

And as for anti-capitalist policies etc, take it up with the Parties themselves. maybe the Greens are the answer.

And I hope the rest of your fishing trip goes well.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
thanks [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] & [MENTION=22975]DavidinSouthampton[/MENTION]

Yes, i meant that the EU Gov was not originally elected.

The greens? pahahaha. They are just as pro-central banks and capitalism as the rest of them.

I've just worked out it's 1 european paliament seat for every 665,961 people - so this is what people call democracy nowadays? And people seriously think they have a voice and a say......lol.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Any evidence of that?

It's odd that someone seems to know so much about corruption and individual policies of parties, and so convinced they know more than anyone else and not understand the difference between an MEP or MP

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Any evidence of that?

It's odd that someone seems to know so much about corruption and individual policies of parties, and so convinced they know more than anyone else and not understand the difference between an MEP or MP

I've never stated "i know more than anyone else" - try not to be so presumptious and damning.

Well the difference is kind of grey - because an MEP still has a local area he represents.....and if his policies override or clash with the MP's within that area.....well what happens? (obviously from recent times it seems the European policy or law overrides the MP).

e.g A green MEP takes over the south-east, but all the MPs in the south east are right-wing - can you see this strangeness in this?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ecky thump. We've got conspiracy airheads and fascist lugnuts all trying to get us to leave the EU. If that doesn't convince you we're better off in the EU then nothing will.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I've never stated "i know more than anyone else" - try not to be so presumptious and damning.

This is gold material.....the clearest case of 'pot,kettle,black' I have seen on here for a long time.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I can’t help but see similarities between the European Parliament elections and the Eurovision Song Contest.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
An MEP who becomes an MP - or vice versa - can choose to retain both roles if they wish (Ian Paisley did this),

Not anymore - MEPs aren't allowed be a member of their countries main legislature now. They can be a member of the Lords though I believe.

Paisley triple-dipped - MLA, MP, MEP - how he found the time for his religious preaching after counting all those salaries I'll never know...

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I find it hilarious that you are so clueless about the electoral system and yet you have the nerve to lecture on us on your conspiracies and are so dismissive of rational debate.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I find it hilarious that you are so clueless about the electoral system and yet you have the nerve to lecture on us on your conspiracies and are so dismissive of rational debate.

not clueless about euro elections - but have gaps, hence asked questions - this is how one gains knowledge.

"conspiracy theory" is a strange term used by people with strange mental issues - a seperate issue, but i didn't bring it into this thread.
this term is the ultimate in denying rationable debate. If you seek to debate something with me, send a pm or find the relevant thread.

an opinion is an opinion, not a lecture....i feel sorry for you that you see any conflicting belief systems like that......dare i say, an example of CD.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
think you might need to watch this, as use of that term is clearly an issue in your mind you have not resolved.........

You do understand that CD is more associated with CT's than any other individual group studied? No, of course you don't. I won't be watching your little video, I've done enough reading on the matter from both nutjobs like yourself and eminent, successful, recognised and QUALIFIED psychiatrists, psychologists, sociologists and anthropologists. I know which I found to be more reliable. Thanks though and good luck raising the global consciousness. Boooooiiing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Well the difference is kind of grey - because an MEP still has a local area he represents.....and if his policies override or clash with the MP's within that area.....well what happens? (obviously from recent times it seems the European policy or law overrides the MP).

e.g A green MEP takes over the south-east, but all the MPs in the south east are right-wing - can you see this strangeness in this?

Are you on a fishing trip or something ? You bang on about research etc when it comes to conspiracies but you're unable to grasp how basic politics works ?

So a very simple overview for you :

UK - MPs are elected directly ( i.e. you choose the candidate to vote for ). They win a majority they get to become an MP for that area. Party with most MPs generally forms a government. The GOVERNMENT publish legislation that ALL MPs then get to vote on. Some of that legislation will be based on requirements from the EU.

EU - Parties provide an ordered list of people they would like to be an MEP. You vote for a PARTY. Each party then gets a certain amount of MEPs for the area based on the proportion of the votes they got. The European Commission ( who are NOT directly elected by the public ) issue policies that the MEPs in the European Parliament then vote on. MEPs vote in favour and you get a new EU law. That new law is then required to be enacted by member states. Some states will require it to be put forward as separate legislation in their own parliament. Others can just enact it. Some members, like us, have the power of veto over enacting EU laws in certain areas.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
not clueless about euro elections.

No , you are clueless.

"*If someone wins, do they win a seat in the EU parliament, and/or a seat in their local region - if so, does this override who won this seat in the national elections?

*Will the local winner be the "MP and MEP" for the local area? or will there be an MP and an MEP for each area."

That is ****ing embarrassing. You claim to know how things "are really run" yet you don't even know how the European Parliament and national parliaments are elected.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
EU - Parties provide an ordered list of people they would like to be an MEP. You vote for a PARTY. Each party then gets a certain amount of MEPs for the area based on the proportion of the votes they got.

Just to point out, that's the way its done in England/Scotland/Wales and some other countries in the EU. Other areas including the remaining bit of the UK (Northern Ireland) allow voting for a specific person, usually using some form of AV. Its not mandated to be that way.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Just to point out, that's the way its done in England/Scotland/Wales and some other countries in the EU. Other areas including the remaining bit of the UK (Northern Ireland) allow voting for a specific person, usually using some form of AV. Its not mandated to be that way.

Can you remember if it's Single Transferable Vote in Northern Ireland? I think it is, but not 100%.

Regardless, I prefer the Closed List. Admits that most people are voting for a party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here