Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Dynasties

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't believe there isn't a thread on this already.

Chimps. Is that not just about the singlemost MAGNIFICENT piece of television you have seen this year ? I know Attenborough is always bloody good, but shit the bed, this was on another level entirely. The close-ups, the narrative, the sheer masterful storytelling, and my god the pictures. I've literally never seen the like. Its utterly incredible.

I've never been moved to tears with something like this, but I was welling up when Dave the ape got duffed over (and lost a THUMB ffs). Absolutely magnificent though. Anyone who grizzles about the licence fee can DO one. This is the BBC at its absolute finest. King Pengiuns next week.

Un.
Missable.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
It was ok, still not worth £150 a year ffs, the licence fee is joke most of what the BBC put on is pish.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was ok, still not worth £150 a year ffs, the licence fee is joke most of what the BBC put on is pish.

OK ? Are you serious ?

Tonight I think that might just be the most fantastic thing I've ever seen on the BBC. That justified the licence fee on its own.

(I'll admit to being a BBC fan because I really do consume so much of it on TV, online and on the radio...I love it). This Dynasties show tonight was just...ridiculous. SO good. If you missed it, do yourself a favour and iPlayer it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I love the nature programmes on the BBC but as I said previously about Attenbrough, he ruins it with story telling. Dave & Luther, for goodness sake!
Serious zoologists do not anthropologise animals. They are animals not humans, so attributing human feelings to them is counter productive,
The camera work is superb. Narrate what is happening without getting over sentimental.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can't believe there isn't a thread on this already.

Chimps. Is that not just about the singlemost MAGNIFICENT piece of television you have seen this year ? I know Attenborough is always bloody good, but shit the bed, this was on another level entirely. The close-ups, the narrative, the sheer masterful storytelling, and my god the pictures. I've literally never seen the like. Its utterly incredible.

I've never been moved to tears with something like this, but I was welling up when Dave the ape got duffed over (and lost a THUMB ffs). Absolutely magnificent though. Anyone who grizzles about the licence fee can DO one. This is the BBC at its absolute finest. King Pengiuns next week.

Un.
Missable.
There is, it just disappeared over the horizon:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...-narrated-by-David-Attenborough-starts-Sunday

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I love the nature programmes on the BBC but as I said previously about Attenbrough, he ruins it with story telling. Dave & Luther, for goodness sake!
Serious zoologists do not anthropologise animals. They are animals not humans, so attributing human feelings to them is counter productive,
The camera work is superb. Narrate what is happening without getting over sentimental.

He didn’t name them, the woman they interviewed who had been studying them for 20 years did.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Excellent. A Monday morning argument about who named some chimps. NSC at its absolute best!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I agree to a point, scientifically there should be no sentiment whatsoever. But he isn't making programmes purely about/for science. A large part of the remit is to interest, create sympathy and therefore educate the general public about our world. Animals that are 'close' to humans lend themselves to anthropomorphisation and in my book that is a good thing as it will more likely mobilise feeling and action for their protection.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

We spend about £90 per MONTH on Sky -broadband and phone Included, and still spend most of our telly watching time with the BBC, because they are simply the best, better than all the rest.

And Dynasties was fascinating.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He didn’t name them, the woman they interviewed who had been studying them for 20 years did.

I know. I saw the interview with her and the cameraman on BBC Breakfast.

DA has been doing this for decades. Oh the poor mother (whatever the animal is) can't can't their cub/pup/chick etc and will be breaking her heart.
It's tosh.

Animals don't need sentimentality. There are hierarchies in the animal kingdom everywhere. It's fascinating viewing but it doesn't help their survival.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003

I don’t see this being any different from naming domesticated pets. And what about Johnny Morris? He started it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I did find the chimp being called David a bit of a puny name, when he was in battle with Luthor, and other randy apes. Overall, it was a cracker though, like a briefer and better Planet of the Apes. Next week's looks a heartbreaker.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here